• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    It seems Remington's infamous quality control (or lack thereof) is still at work here. I've seen a couple of reviews now where issues were had with the new guns. Mine runs ball ammo ok for now, but it seems to have a problem with hollow points. That, and disassembly is even more difficult on the new model due to a significantly heavier spring. I would think twice before investing in this gun if you intend to use it for personal protection. I've found Hi-Points to be more reliable and a bit less expensive, if money is tight.

[video=youtube;5MUJWIOnURQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MUJWIOnURQ[/video]

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Do they just not quality test or what? I don't see how the first generation R51 made it off the line with how significant and obvious its problems were.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Ugh! I want this gun to be good but seems like they haven't done enough to get it right again.

There must be a trick to disassemble and reassemble this thing. I saw another YouTube video where the guy didn't have much trouble. I'll try to find it.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    It seems like the nose-diving is a common problem with the guns. I'm going through YouTube videos bookmarking them. It's happening a lot with many different guns. Here's an example.

[video]https://youtu.be/GmNjcpldcNE?t=7m10s[/video]

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've yet to hear a positive review. I've heard a lot of reliability issues and also that they are very rough on the hands of the shooter.

I was hoping they'd make a decent gun and the retro-futuristic look is cool...but I've written them off.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've yet to hear a positive review. I've heard a lot of reliability issues and also that they are very rough on the hands of the shooter.

I was hoping they'd make a decent gun and the retro-futuristic look is cool...but I've written them off.

I've seen one or two positive reviews, but it's from the same people that said the Gen 1 gun was fantastic just before it was recalled and production was stopped...

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    It seems like the nose-diving is a common problem with the guns. I'm going through YouTube videos bookmarking them. It's happening a lot with many different guns. Here's an example.

[video]https://youtu.be/GmNjcpldcNE?t=7m10s[/video]

Possibly an issue with mag/follower?

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Possibly an issue with mag/follower?
    It could be, but it could also be a much larger issue such as grip/mag well angle/geometry. It looks like Remington knew there was a problem which is why they redesigned the follower to push upwards on the nose of the bullet. But as you can see how they stack in the magazine, it doesn't have that desired effect on all rounds in the mag, especially when the mag is full. The springs are stiff... I'm thinking there's something inherently wrong with the feed ramp, mag well angle/geometry and/or magazine design. Apparently it wasn't a simple fix which is why Remington likely didn't completely redesign the whole lower half of the gun and went with a magazine follower redesign instead.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Sounds like a gun that might require that funky Corbon Pow-R-ball ammo for self defense use. It works but is expensive and hard to find.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Yeah, I'm one of those. Got to shoot one at the INGO shoot. While it wasnt painful, I did feel the pinch of my palm getting sucked into the backstrap safety when I activated it. Did not like it one bit. Shot it OK, but just wasnt comfy.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Is there a bloopers reel with freshly invented cuss words after trying to put that thing back together?

I've seen one or two positive reviews, but it's from the same people that said the Gen 1 gun was fantastic just before it was recalled and production was stopped...
    So....paid shills?

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    It could be, but it could also be a much larger issue such as grip/mag well angle/geometry. It looks like Remington knew there was a problem which is why they redesigned the follower to push upwards on the nose of the bullet. But as you can see how they stack in the magazine, it doesn't have that desired effect on all rounds in the mag, especially when the mag is full. The springs are stiff... I'm thinking there's something inherently wrong with the feed ramp, mag well angle/geometry and/or magazine design. Apparently it wasn't a simple fix which is why Remington likely didn't completely redesign the whole lower half of the gun and went with a magazine follower redesign instead.
    I wonder how it would work with Fiocchi ball ammo seeing as that has a more rounded tip

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I just don't know why anyone would give this thing the time of day, with all of the other great handguns on the market. It does nothing that makes it worth bothering with that horrible disassembly/reassembly hassle, even if it functioned 100%

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The R51 seems like it is the little gun that just couldn't.
    Even if it was half way reliable I could not see going thru that ordeal to break it down and reassemble it.
    I don't have much faith left in Remington as a manufacturer of reliable quality guns anyway. So no R51 in my future.
    Shame to see Remington putting out such junk.
    I do appreciate the fantastic reviews by the Military Arms Channel.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    When Remington is building such bad products that High Points look like Ed Browns, that's messed up.

At this point, all Remington products are off my "to buy" list. If they are allowing this piece of crap to leave the factory, then surely they are allowing many of their other products to degrade to crap and leave the factory as well. What sort of company would put this out?!?!?! ONLY a company that does not give a flying crap about producing a quality product. They are only interested in fleecing customers.

I also believe that anything owned by Freedom Group is highly, highly suspect. And it's really sad. Because most of the companies that they absorbed once produced quality, reliable products with great craftsmanship. It now seems to me that anything freedom group related is thrown together crap with no quality control. Just shove stuff out the door, get people to buy it, and hope they don't actually use those new pieces of junk.

The great news is the more crap freedom group puts out, the less they will sell. And eventually, after several years of selling junk, they will go out of business. And it serves them right if this is how they intend to do business. Hopefully the free market is allowed to work on this one.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    It's my R51 Cameramonkey shot at the INGO meet. I'll say it's 50x better than what I read about the first one but it definitely needs a little work. Seems like they built it but forgot to beta test the ergos till after they finalized it and bought the tooling. The backstrap safety bit CameraMonkey's soft moisturized hands but my calloused mechanic/rigger hands couldn't feel it. Instead I had to worry about the slide running over my thumb-webbing (note: it doesn't cut, just rubs. Wasn't a problem till 100+ rounds): the low bore axis is great at reducing muzzle flip but they didn't give it enough beavertail to compensate. That and trigger floppyness and lack of reset. It definitely likes high powered ammo, which seems to overcome the affinity to nosedive the first few rounds (ran half a dozen brands and a range of reloads to test it out). I haven't had it jam but I can feel it catch on the lower loads. Yea, about that disassembly process...

I don't regret buying it, even kinda like it in small quantities but it's not high on my suggestion list, especially as a first gun.

If anyone isn't totally scared off and wants to try it, let me know.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    It's my R51 Cameramonkey shot at the INGO meet. I'll say it's 50x better than what I read about the first one but it definitely needs a little work. Seems like they built it but forgot to beta test the ergos till after they finalized it and bought the tooling. The backstrap safety bit CameraMonkey's soft moisturized hands but my calloused mechanic/rigger hands couldn't feel it. Instead I had to worry about the slide running over my thumb-webbing (note: it doesn't cut, just rubs. Wasn't a problem till 100+ rounds): the low bore axis is great at reducing muzzle flip but they didn't give it enough beavertail to compensate. That and trigger floppyness and lack of reset. It definitely likes high powered ammo, which seems to overcome the affinity to nosedive the first few rounds (ran half a dozen brands and a range of reloads to test it out). I haven't had it jam but I can feel it catch on the lower loads. Yea, about that disassembly process...

I don't regret buying it, even kinda like it in small quantities but it's not high on my suggestion list, especially as a first gun.

If anyone isn't totally scared off and wants to try it, let me know.

Please tell me it's a range toy and not a carry gun. I would hope you value your life more than that. :D

Top Bottom