• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Ordered in a S&W 340PD, near $800 for a revolver, you'd think it would be good to go. Not quite, apparently the folks at S&W are hiring drug addicts or cross eyed folks to put their guns together. How this one could have possibly made it through any kind of quality control is beyond me. Back to S&W it goes where it'll be for 7 to 10 business days because why hurry once you've already made your money?

A4F64398-AF3D-4329-BC89-E641D1C4E300_zpsfsscexpf.jpg

CD1E962A-39CA-4FDB-AEE4-8B24F7E30719_zpsxs5s45hq.jpg

This is not how you earn repeat business.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Ordered in a S&W 340PD, near $800 for a revolver, you'd think it would be good to go. Not quite, apparently the folks at S&W are hiring drug addicts or cross eyed folks to put their guns together. How this one could have possibly made it through any kind of quality control is beyond me. Back to S&W it goes where it'll be for 7 to 10 business days because why hurry once you've already made your money?

This is not how you earn repeat business.

What are you looking at that part for?

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    SW sucks anymore, I've got my own little rant thread about them. Seems their quality isn't what it used to be.
    My question is why did you buy/transfer the gun without inspecting it first?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    SW sucks anymore, I've got my own little rant thread about them. Seems their quality isn't what it used to be.
    My question is why did you buy/transfer the gun without inspecting it first?

It was ordered in for me by a non stocking FFL and I'm not going to stick him with it. The odds of the next one I get (had it been returned) looking the same are probably around 90% from what I've seen in the local stores the past few years. I knew going in there was a good chance but was trying to be optimistic until I opened the box.

Unfortunately, if you want an 11oz .357 S&W is the only game in town.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You can get a very similar experience much cheaper, just buy an aluminum baseball bat wind up as hard as you can and hit a brick wall with it. Your hands will feel right about the same as if you were firing your revolver with full house loads!

I'm painfully aware! I've owned one of these before as well as a titanium .38. They're absolutely no fun to shoot but I've found nothing that carries better and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't feel a thing if I needed to use it.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Call Denny up at Sand Burr Gun Ranch...He is a S&W armorer and they have been known to do warranty work for S&W. He has done work for me and have seen the work he has done for Massad Ayoob.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I thought the "canted barrel syndrome" with S&W revolvers was mostly a thing of the past by now, but it doesn't look like it. There are a number of rants about it over on the S&W revolver board. Many have taken the same route as the OP... ordering something they see in stock they've been pining for, and signing for it, even though they know it will need to go straight back to the mothership for a repair. In my case, they have made it right every single time, but it does sour your experience knowing it needs warranty work right out of the gate.

Carey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Mentone
    I have to agree SW has gone way down on their quality. I hope they figure it out soon or their going to loose a lot of customers.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'm not sure about the entire S&W line being bad with quality, but I do think they are taking their eyes off the ball with their wheel guns. I've got a fairly new 1911 SC-E series round butt, and it's screwed together beautifully. I've also got a NM 66 Combat Magnum that is perfectly flawless from front to back.

I've got a 640 J-Frame that I had to have when I saw it, and it went straight back to the mothership due to the barrel being off, another one that shouldn't have left the line in that condition.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Between management sucking up to the clintons in the 90s and bad quality control the bottom line must be suffering. The chinese can put a barrel on that straight.

Top Bottom