• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Just picked up a Canik TP9SF, Desert Tan. Comes with a decent holster, extra mag, and a cleaning brush. Shoots like a dream! Smooth trigger, virtually zero recoil, shoots every type of ammo I put in it. Nice full size pistol for a great price!
    Canik-left.jpg

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I don't have one, but I've been looking at the TP9 V2 as it's DA/SA instead of SA only. Is yours a range toy or self-defense? The idea of having one loaded without a safety freaks me out, but, if you decock it, then you have to work the slide to recock the pistol. Just curious if these entered into your decision to buy it?

SouthernStar25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 6, 2013
    West Of The Fields
    I"ve got one. To say the trigger is smooth is a complete understatement. The trigger on my TP9SF may well be the best out of the box I've ever owned.

Mine came with two 18 round mags, a holster and cleaning brush. I believe Century Arms has a 20 round mag available for the TP9SF as well.

The thing is a tac driver -- very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. For the money, you'd be hard pressed to find a better gun.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't have one, but I've been looking at the TP9 V2 as it's DA/SA instead of SA only. Is yours a range toy or self-defense? The idea of having one loaded without a safety freaks me out, but, if you decock it, then you have to work the slide to recock the pistol. Just curious if these entered into your decision to buy it?
    If it's a DA/SA, why would you have to rack the slide to cock it? The idea behind a decocker is that it gives you a longer first pull since it's sitting with the hammer down at the half cock notch. I cannot imagine why someone would make a SA only pistol with a decocker. My favorite CZs are decocker models and with a bit of trigger work, the DA pull is right around 6lbs and is smooth. That's how I carry and practice with them too. Practice the draw with a DA first and SA follow up shots.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    If it's a DA/SA, why would you have to rack the slide to cock it? The idea behind a decocker is that it gives you a longer first pull since it's sitting with the hammer down at the half cock notch. I cannot imagine why someone would make a SA only pistol with a decocker. My favorite CZs are decocker models and with a bit of trigger work, the DA pull is right around 6lbs and is smooth. That's how I carry and practice with them too. Practice the draw with a DA first and SA follow up shots.

Because I'm an idiot. I read it as TP9SA not TP9SF. I was thinking about the SA model with the decocker not the striker fired model. My bad.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't have one, however at the price point I see myself picking one up before too long "Just to have" honestly. That and it's a great pistol to let people shoot before they buy too because the Canik is what I'm always sending people to when they are on a budget.

oDbCo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 18, 2016
    Franklin/Greenwood
    I saw one at my local gun shop the other day, and like everyone else seems to think, the trigger is fantastic. I decided against it, though, as I don't know if Century Arms could do much if there were any problems with it as it is manufactured in Turkey.

Scott357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    I use mine at the range and as a carry gun, depending on where I am going. I break the rules of carrying by NOT having one in the chamber, so no safety was not my concern. I have 11 young grandchildren, and I'll take the extra second to rack and shoot before I risk having one in the pipe. I know it goes against most others, but that's my decision. Still better than no gun, and I can un-holster and rack pretty quick. I saw numerous videos on You Tube before I made the purchase, and those were the deciding factor.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I use mine at the range and as a carry gun, depending on where I am going. I break the rules of carrying by NOT having one in the chamber, so no safety was not my concern. I have 11 young grandchildren, and I'll take the extra second to rack and shoot before I risk having one in the pipe. I know it goes against most others, but that's my decision. Still better than no gun, and I can un-holster and rack pretty quick. I saw numerous videos on You Tube before I made the purchase, and those were the deciding factor.

I'm sorry, but if you don't trust yourself to carry with a round in the chamber then why carry at all? You are carrying a empty gun. And if you think you "can un-holster and rack pretty quick" you have another thing coming. Not unless you are Jerry Miculek quick. If you don't trust your gun, equipment or yourself, then leave the gun at home.:twocents:

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

I'm sorry, but if you don't trust yourself to carry with a round in the chamber then why carry at all? You are carrying a empty gun. And if you think you "can un-holster and rack pretty quick" you have another thing coming. Not unless you are Jerry Miculek quick. If you don't trust your gun, equipment or yourself, then leave the gun at home.:twocents:

Yes, what this guy said. Please look up a Force on Force class and you'll quickly learn why and how little time you truly have when you need to go to a gun right away. Look up Mindset Labs and take some of their training. Huge eye opener.

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    Canik

I have the TP9SA, & it shoots like a champ, got about 500 round through it. It is a great pistol for the money.
    Excellent trigger out of box. I have tried several different ammo through it not a single malfunction, to me the Canik line of pistol are well worth what you pay for them.
    I just got a PPQ for carry & at this time it's just setting in my cabinet, thinking about selling it. I am the type of gun owner that cannot see the reasoning having 2 firearms of the same caliber.

Pics.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have the TP9SA, & it shoots like a champ, got about 500 round through it. It is a great pistol for the money.
    Excellent trigger out of box. I have tried several different ammo through it not a single malfunction, to me the Canik line of pistol are well worth what you pay for them.
    I just got a PPQ for carry & at this time it's just setting in my cabinet, thinking about selling it. I am the type of gun owner that cannot see the reasoning having 2 firearms of the same caliber.

Pics.

I'm the type of gun owner who would rather have more guns in the same caliber so long as I like it!

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    I like the Canik but right I really don't have the need for a range pistol, I got that PPQ M1 for really everything, range, carry etc. I have tried to conceal carry the Canik & it just don't feel right carrying IWB. It shoots great, very accurate, has lots of features but as of now not really what I need for my daily use.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I carry my Canik TP9SF and love it. I carry in an Alien Gear holster. Disappears with just a t-shirt. Trigger is great. Accurate. Reliable. Nothing negative to say.

Scott357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Not trying to start an argument, but my families safety comes first. I would never keep one in the pipe just for the fact that in a one in a million chances, one of my grandchildren get to my gun for whatever reason....have a heart attack, passed out , whatever and I'm the only adult with them? 'll take that chance of having to rack and shoot. Still better than no gun. I'm 56 and have never had to draw on somebody. I have heard all the reasons, and a lot of my family is in law enforcement, so I've heard every reason to carry one in the pipe. Still won't do it.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Not trying to start an argument, but my families safety comes first. I would never keep one in the pipe just for the fact that in a one in a million chances, one of my grandchildren get to my gun for whatever reason....have a heart attack, passed out , whatever and I'm the only adult with them? 'll take that chance of having to rack and shoot. Still better than no gun. I'm 56 and have never had to draw on somebody. I have heard all the reasons, and a lot of my family is in law enforcement, so I've heard every reason to carry one in the pipe. Still won't do it.

Force of Force class is still some of the best training you'll ever get whether is changes that mindset or not. Highly Highly recommend Mindset Labs.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    MAC's torture test;
    [video=youtube;TLx9pS3U6TI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLx9pS3U6TI[/video]

MAC's review of the TP9SA;
    [video=youtube;9M4ehaJ_smQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M4ehaJ_smQ[/video]

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County

Then you just need to find a gun that you ARE comfortable carrying fully loaded. There are other options. A lot of people have trouble with the concept of carrying with one in the chamber -usually when they first start carrying. It's usually overcome with more training, practice or if you're the research/reading type -simply more reading. All of those things will help you "get your head right". If it doesn't than gun carry just may not be for you. There is no shame in that. Lots of people are quite capable with handguns but choose not to carry and only keep one loaded and ready to go at home albeit locked in a gun safe.

Last edited:

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    I was kinda like that at first when I started to carry. I kept thinking what if it goes off when I am carrying it. Then I got to thinking, well if it's in my pants carrying IWB & the firearm just goes bang, looks like the firearm company that manufactured that firearm is going to have to pay for some medical bills. I also thought about the QC that goes into manufacturing a pistol, also all the testing that is done before the firearm is even made for public sales. I now carry with on in the chamber at all times I realize that the trigger has to be pulled, the trigger safety has to be depressed with the trigger, also the striker block has to be disengaged by depressing the trigger. There is a lot of safety measures involved keeping that firearm from discharging in my pants.

Scott357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    I used to carry with one in the chamber, but now that I have numerous grandchildren (all very young) around us, I still carry but NOT with one chambered. I am not worried about shooting myself, or having my own accident....my concern is that one of my grandchildren would get to it. Yes, it's always on me or locked up, but there is that one in a million chance that I will not take. It happens all the time; nothing will change my way of carrying. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions, and I understand you are trying to tell me what's best. I know I am going against the grain, but it's still my choice.

Top Bottom