• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My dad is trying to decide between a Smith and Wesson 686 and a Ruger GP100. I'm not big on revolvers, so which one is better?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    My dad is trying to decide between a Smith and Wesson 686 and a Ruger GP100. I'm not big on revolvers, so which one is better?
    Either is an outstanding choice, how about both!

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I really really like my GP100. Compared to my uncles 686, the GP has a better double action and the 686 a better single. I prefer the look of the Ruger, that's my opinion.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, you will pay more for the S&W, not just because they have a slightly better trigger but because of the name.

Rugers though, are easy to work on and you can change the trigger with a spring. Over all, cheaper and for my money I buy Ruger.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    S&W all the way, no questions. They know how to make revolvers.

No slam on Ruger, they are nice, but I'd take the Smith first.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    New or Used???

If you are talking NEW on both, I would go with the GP-100.
    As said upthread, it is hit or miss with S&W on quality.

If you can find a good used NO Lock/NO Mim parts/hammer mounted firing pin, S&W 686, or 681, I would go for that.

I have an older Half-Lug Stainless GP-100, with Wolff springs, fixed sights, that I like well.
    I also have an older S&W 681, with Wolff springs, fixed sights that shoots 140-160gr. projectiles VERY Well.

Both of these .357's are the 4" model.

When it becomes time to "thin out" a few, these will be the last to go..

Overall, my S&W's (NONE with Locks) are more refined than the GP's, although the GP's SEEM?? tougher??....Bill.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I much prefer the aesthetics and design of the S&W revolvers, it's unfortunate they have little interest in quality these days.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If he wants a 7- (686+) or 8-shot (627) then go S&W.
    Their QC has issues, but they typically stand behind their products well.

Ruger is a great revolver for the money AND THE BEST CUST SRVC I've ever experienced.
    Look at the Wiley Clapp (Talo) 3" GP100, as well as the GP100 Match Champion if you want slightly different lines.
    The standard GP100 is a great gun, easy to work on if he's so inclined, and has plenty of aftermarket support.
    GP100 comes in 3" (standard or Wiley Clapp), 4", 5" (Davidsons/Talo), and 6"

At the end of the day, if I want a 6-shot .357, I'll go Ruger. If I want a 7-shot, I'll go Smith.
    I'm a Ruger fan-boy because they have taken care of me.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I own both. They each have their charms. I cannot decide which I like better. I have received great customer service for various firearms from both companies. They are both superb revolvers from long time quality manufacturers.

I stopped an armed robbery at an Arby's restaurant one night with a L-frame S&W .357 magnum in 1994, and I captured 3 perps who were thieving at a lawn tractor store with a Ruger .357 magnum on fathers day 1999. No shots fired in either case, but I was totally confidant that either pistol would function perfectly. And I knew exactly where the bullets would enter the bodies of the perps if they had forced me to fire.

I don't know what else to tell you.

Last edited:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I really like the GP100 WC 3". Great little shooter. I've not owned a 686 before but have had several K frames from 2.5" - 4" barrels. All have shot well and I never should have gotten rid of those older Smiths.

Rookie, if you are interested in trying out the GP100 WC let me know. I can bring it up there sometime for you guys to try out.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I much prefer the aesthetics and design of the S&W revolvers, it's unfortunate they have little interest in quality these days.

Ruger's no better. Both companies are shipping a lot of 80% guns these days.

To the OP, for current production I'd go with the GP100 (and did). Not a 6", but the Match Champion is an excellent revolver. I've no use for keyhole S&W offerings, but they made some beauties back in the day. I'd not turn my nose up at a 6" Model 28...

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Wow, I can't believe I forgot the Match Champion. I love mine too and think it one of the better revolvers made these days. Thanks for reminding me BBI! It has been a while since I was at the range that wasn't an INGO shoot but I think I need to break that GP-100 Match Champion out for arun again now that I am feeling better.
    main.php

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Either would be an excellent choice, with many folks liking the looks and finish of the 586/686 guns more, but the GP100 apparently has a small edge when it comes to durability.
    I haven't had the privilege of shooting the x86, but my dad has a GP100 4" barrel, and it's an excellent gun, and the rubber hybrid grip stocks help absorb the sharp recoil of strong .357 loads.

oDbCo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 18, 2016
    Franklin/Greenwood
    I am pretty happy with my GP100. They are both great manufacturers, but the S&W takes the edge in the cool factor. The GP100 is more practical than the S&W revolvers at a lower price and just as quality parts.

Top Bottom