• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JGalt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    Boone County
    I've owned two of these, 9mm and 40S&W. These are great pistols. Unfortunately, the ergonomics did not work for me. The curved part of the frame that sort of overhangs the top of the hand consistently hit the joint at the base of my thumb. Wound up getting very uncomfortable very quickly. If it hadn't been for that I would have kept them. I found the .40cal version to be the most accurate .40 I've worked with.

FWIW,

JGalt

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    In the past, I have owned two different M9-A1 pistols - both from the FIRST big importation of them.

Both were utterly reliable, accurate, and robust pistols. "What a Glock would be if Glock grew up" is how I've described them.

I don't have trigger time behind any of Walther's newest offerings or the HK P30 series guns - but the ergonomics of the Steyr pistols was, to me, only a close second behind the Walther P99. The Steyr pistols fit my hands VERY well.

The sight system took a bit to get used to - but they're just a slight difference from a more traditional 3-dot system. One can purchase aftermarket sights for them if desired.

I sold the first one I had because I wanted to use the money on something else. A few years later, I bought another one that had been sitting in the shop case for "a while". I'd intended that one to be a carry-able gun. But then I decided that I was going to pare down to "essentials" and not have so many of the same things (full sized striker-fired "duty" type guns).

I like the Steyr guns. I'd not have qualms about buying another one day down the road should funds and whatnot align.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I've had a couple. the most recent being an L9.
    If you get one, get the newest generation. They have better triggers that feel similar to the PPQ trigger.
    Very nice guns and way overlooked & under rated

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've seen one Steyr pistol in our classes and it functioned well.

That might have been me. Do you rememberthe ancient Israeli surplus ammo I had ttrouble with?

I've carried a Steyr for years and still have two; M40 & M9-A1 (early version). Both have the newer extractors + both have Big Taco striker kits. Get the kit, you will like it!

Steyr Accessories - BT Guide Rods

I did have some FTE prior to installing the revised extractors and I did have a freak stoppage during an ACT class but tthey've run great since then.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That might have been me. Do you rememberthe ancient Israeli surplus ammo I had ttrouble with?

I've carried a Steyr for years and still have two; M40 & M9-A1 (early version). Both have the newer extractors + both have Big Taco striker kits. Get the kit, you will like it!

Steyr Accessories - BT Guide Rods

I did have some FTE prior to installing the revised extractors and I did have a freak stoppage during an ACT class but tthey've run great since then.

I believe you are correct, sir! I did not witness the malfunction, however!

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    I had one of the early versions of the 9mm that had some sort of recall if I remember. Ended up just trading it back at PSS for something else. However I don't remember any problems with the one I had and actually preferred it over the Glocks, especially with the sight picture they offered.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I had one of the early versions of the 9mm that had some sort of recall if I remember. Ended up just trading it back at PSS for something else. However I don't remember any problems with the one I had and actually preferred it over the Glocks, especially with the sight picture they offered.

You sure that was a Steyr? I don't remember them ever having a recall. Only a redigned extractor. The Caracal had a recall. It was also designed by Bubits.

Top Bottom