• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have been recently sworn as a full-time duty. While I was a reserve, I had to purchase my own duty pistol and now I don't really have a use for it. I am considering trading it for a backup gun of some flavor. I have been using a Taurus 85UL, but it is fairly heavy and not very snag-free. (even has a hammer)

For the LEOs (and any others who actually carry two handguns), what BUG did you decide on and why? My budget is the trade value of a Gen4 G22 and Taurus 85UL. Preferably just the G22.

Considerations so far:

Ruger LCR .38 w/ XS sight
    Glock 27
    Smith and Wesson Airweight of some flavor
    Glock 43

I lean toward the revolvers for up close contact reliability, but the thinner profile of the autos is a big draw.

funkeecowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    Marion County
    I'm not LEO but always have a j-frame on me, even when carrying a larger pistol. I don't think there's an easier gun to pull from a pocket or ankle holster than a S&W 642 (or similar hammerless version). That being said, if I was carrying a duty gun like a G22 I would probably lean towards carrying a G27 as BUG because the larger mag can be used in the smaller gun.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What is your issued duty weapon? If it is a G22 you might want to consider keeping the one you own. Never know when you might need the second gun. I say sell the Tauri. You will get a better deal buying a blue label gun. Smith, Walther, Glock, Sig all have LEO pricing.

Smith 642 or one of the scandium revolvers is a great choice.
    Glock 42 or 43 for commonality if Glock is your duty weapon.

edit: OP beat me to the punch. G22

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes, the G22 or G35. I chose the G22 because I already had a light-bearing holster for it.

Stick with Glock as a backup. G27 is a good choice but thick. Depends on how you are going to carry it. A G42/43 might slide behind a vest of fit on the ankle better.

Personally I am a big revolver fan.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Smith and Wesson 360PD, just a hair over 11 ounces and about 12 ounces loaded. You can load it with 357 Magnum and it is darn near HALF the weight of the G27 making it very easy for ankle carry or even just pocket carry.

wFsmqBph.jpg

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    G43. The 27 is generally too big to carry anywhere as a back up on/under the uniform. We are issued the 26 as a backup and I don't know anyone that carries it as a backup since it is so wide (and fairly heavy/bulky to keep on an ankle all day). It's great in theory, but not in practice. I know a lot that carry the Keltec .380, G42, or G43 with a holster sewn inside the chest area of the outer carrier. It's a good system.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    G43. The 27 is generally too big to carry anywhere as a back up on/under the uniform. We are issued the 26 as a backup and I don't know anyone that carries it as a backup since it is so wide (and fairly heavy/bulky to keep on an ankle all day). It's great in theory, but not in practice. I know a lot that carry the Keltec .380, G42, or G43 with a holster sewn inside the chest area of the outer carrier. It's a good system.

I'm no LEO.

What about the Galco ankle glove? I know James Yeager swears by them and claims to always wear them.

Just a thought.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm no LEO.

What about the Galco ankle glove? I know James Yeager swears by them and claims to always wear them.

Just a thought.

I have an ankle glove for my air weight 642. I like it. I don't think I would want anything heavier hanging on my leg all day. The G27 is about the same size but heavier then the 642. Everyone is different though and a G27 on the ankle is always an option.

Realistically the option for BUG carry is ankle, off side front pocket or as Gabriel stated in the vest somewhere. probably best to figure out where a person wants to carry the gun.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    I wear a Glock 27 in an ankle holster.

I have been recently sworn as a full-time duty. While I was a reserve, I had to purchase my own duty pistol and now I don't really have a use for it. I am considering trading it for a backup gun of some flavor. I have been using a Taurus 85UL, but it is fairly heavy and not very snag-free. (even has a hammer)

For the LEOs (and any others who actually carry two handguns), what BUG did you decide on and why? My budget is the trade value of a Gen4 G22 and Taurus 85UL. Preferably just the G22.

Considerations so far:

Ruger LCR .38 w/ XS sight
    Glock 27
    Smith and Wesson Airweight of some flavor
    Glock 43

I lean toward the revolvers for up close contact reliability, but the thinner profile of the autos is a big draw.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm no LEO.

Just a thought.

JY isn't a cop (any longer) and no longer does cop things. He's not in positions to need to chase after people while wearing a G26 on each ankle.

Top Bottom