• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I currently have one full size, one compact and one single stack SD handguns. Over some period of time I have been able to gather enough mags and some ammo. Due to the current political events I'm giving a serious thought about getting either more ammo or an additional SD handgun but having a tough time making a decision, should I get an other full size, carry or more ammo?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    If you have the room, and the inclination, I would try to get set up to reload instead. You would save money in the long run, but most importantly the inflated prices and shortages won't hit you as hard.

If reloading isn't in the cards then I'd make sure you have spare parts for the guns you have. Good quality SD ammo would be next.

I've thought about this myself recently. I really like the PPS M2 I picked up a month or so ago. I've had my eye on a PPQ M2 for a while but won't even bother to try for it before the election. I like 10 mags per handgun at a minimum and at $40 a pop, plus holsters, plus break in ammo, plus SD ammo testing = Not possible in 3 weeks. Not to mention once SWMBO gets a hold of it I'm sure she will like it and want one as well. Buying things in pairs really sucks.

Instead, I've decided to stock up on components to reload with, along with some lead & molds to cast with.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Typically, when a question comes up like this, I'd recommend considering more training. However, if you are comfortable with your current state of training/experience, I'd recommend going with ammo and mags. If there is a Hillary gun panic, then ammo and "assault weapons" are most likely to skyrocket and possibly "high capacity" mags. Handguns likely won't be their first target.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    always mags and ammo and sell the single stack for more mags and ammo

spare parts are a good idea too

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Hopefully Ol' Hillary won't get elected and we can enjoy at least another 4 years without panic! I'd say buy whatever you want OP. I think if you aren't certain on a gun I'd really look into buying a Dillon reloading press, or getting some more training rather than just ammo.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    California just passed a law that you have to conduct a background check to buy ammunition. They already restrict magazines to 10 rounds or less. Given that California leads the nation in gun control laws, I would say this is the planned course for the liberals once they take control of the Supreme Court.

All that being said, I am currently trying to sell a couple of my handguns to procure ammo and magazines to stash away for the dark days coming. All the handguns in the world are worthless without bullets to put in them.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    +1 for ammo.

What tends to happen during panic buying periods is the guns go first but are quickly replaced by people who can't afford to have that much invested in a panic buy. Christmas is coming, bills are due, etc. The guns end up back on the market.

Mags are next. Panic buyers who bought guns at inflated prices forgot or couldn't afford to buy mags too so they end up buying a few mags as soon as they get the chance. A couple weeks after all the hysteria $50 mags are still way more affordable than $500 guns.

Lastly comes the ammo. The sky is falling buyers snatch up all the cases of 9, .223, x39, etc. It slowly trickles down to .22LR and finally six months to a year later there's nothing under $10 available for sale because the last bit of hoarders are clutching tiny boxes in their basements saying, "My precious."

Manufacturers and distributors have gotten hip to the panic buying cycle of the last few scares. They've flooded the market with cheap ARs and magazines. There will still be a run on EBRs and doublestack everything, but there are more of them out there right now and prices won't jump like they did before. Ammo, however, is heavy and expensive. The market hasn't responded quite the way it did on the hardware because, well, most people are collectors and not shooters. There's no need for case after case of ammo the way there is for more guns and mags. There are people out there with six ARs and only 100 rounds of ammo. Worse, they have 12 PMAGs.

With the value of metals where it is, you're probably not going to see the price of ammo go down again. Ever. Invest in ammo. You'll come out ahead.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    California just passed a law that you have to conduct a background check to buy ammunition. They already restrict magazines to 10 rounds or less. Given that California leads the nation in gun control laws, I would say this is the planned course for the liberals once they take control of the Supreme Court.

All that being said, I am currently trying to sell a couple of my handguns to procure ammo and magazines to stash away for the dark days coming. All the handguns in the world are worthless without bullets to put in them.

"Since CA [drags down] the nation in gun control..."
    Fixed it for ya

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Look "Hilarious" said last night, she supports the 2nd A, all the way.......yea right.

You want gun control, TAX the $#!+ out of ammo, making it soooo expensive to load and carry anything in your limited, registered, if approved pop gun.

Don't forget to get a bayonet !

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty

Isn't that how they do it? Pass the law in the land of fruits and nuts, then nod to it being a "success" when you push to take the law federal. President Obama makes nods to pre-existing control measures elsewhere all the time when he's trying to get it federally recognized. It's a precursor to federal legislation. Getting your ducks in a row. You have to remember the left already figure they've got this in the bag. They're just setting the pins up.

If you have the guns, get the ammo. And spare parts/mags for your firearms. It's like fun and money, you can never have too much...

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Agree with others about ammo. Get some. If you have a long gun, as well if not... get a rifle and/ or a pump shotgun.(used is fine, will do hunting and home defense). Having tools also means some training. Teach your wife to shoot to be able to back you up. (mine learned on a 6 shot revolver, and is very decent shot)
    After that stuff is covered, learn some camping-bushcraft-basic skills. Maybe be able to merge some skills and take a woods-mountain vacation with confidence.
    Be prepared!

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    He never suggested not having enough, only that he was considering getting MORE. The fact he is CONSIDERING getting another pistol or more ammo, instead of FRANTICALLY or PANICKING suggests his britches are indeed still firmly planted about his waistline. It's all about the terminology boys.

I stand by my previous assessment of MORE ammo.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    He never suggested not having enough, only that he was considering getting MORE. The fact he is CONSIDERING getting another pistol or more ammo, instead of FRANTICALLY or PANICKING suggests his britches are indeed still firmly planted about his waistline. It's all about the terminology boys.

I stand by my previous assessment of MORE ammo.

"due to current political events"...

Top Bottom