• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Remington is set to introduce a new full-size 9mm polymer handgun, the RP9. It is a crowded market and Remington's recent stumbles with the R51 will make it an uphill climb, but I wish them luck.

Screen-Shot-2016-10-25-at-7.03.45-AM-copy.png

New From Remington: Rp9 Full Size Polymer Pistol - The Truth About Guns

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I was going to say "Ruger American" too. That isn't setting the world on fire in sales.

If this gun is S&W SD9VE priced, it will do fine. But it won't be.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Too bad. I really wanted to like the R51, and the R51 2.0. I think that's a really neat looking little pistol. But after holding one, a kind of odd-feeling (or "no" feeling) trigger reset, and seeing the continued reliability issues, I just can't get into the idea. I recently handled one of their new 1911R1 Enhanced models, and I really liked it... it had a very nice trigger, no squeaks or rattles to be found. But I can't seem to get the "Lemington" label out of my head.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    That pistol is one ugly looking piece of work. Has anyone at Remington stepped back and said to themselves: "Gee it looks like a rather bad twin of a Highpoint" Given the R51 fiasco, I'm sure many will take a pass.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That's what I was thinking.

The first advertised picture didn't look to bad but seeing the other pictures the only thing I could think of was Hi Point!:puke:

That's what I thought, the first picture didn't look bad but those other two look like something hammered out in the back alleys of Pakistan.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I never bought an R51, but I really wanted to until the problems came to light. However, I've got a stainless Remington R1 that is a really nice shooter with a butter-smooth slide, wonderful trigger, and excellent fit/finish. I've also got a new Marlin 1895 in .45-70. It is an excellent shooter, with a nice feel to the lever action (it is getting smoother with use) and excellent fit/finish and beautiful wood. I have zero complaints or issues with it, so far. I also used two Remington 700's on an African safari a couple years ago and they were both tack drivers and both had excellent fit/finish.

I'm not getting all the hate for this gun from folks who haven't seen or fired one. I know Remington has had a couple debacles and their Marlin guns have needed improvement. I still also see evidence they can make some great guns. I'll be looking to hold and would love to shoot one of these before I pass judgement. I hope Remington is improving. A healthy Big Green making good guns is good for the shooting community.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    A wise Big R would cut Marlin loose as a separate profit center and rehire some of the guys they dumped in the acquisition. Like the others, I'm extremely suspicious of any non 1911 Remington pistol.

Klanham5576

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    NE Indiana
    R51 still has problems. Mags are poorly designed causing feed issues especially on the first two rounds. Grip safety on the one I had was not made well, would catch hang up and not engage properly.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I got to handle one of these today. It's a really nice gun. And the trigger is awesome. The gun sits pretty low in my hand too. The guy at the gun shop said street price should be around $400-$450.

I haven't heard about reliability yet so that is still up in the air. We shall see.

EDIT: It looks much better in person than the pictures.

Top Bottom