• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    So I saw that PSA sells 1911 frames and it got me thinking about building my own one day soon. Would like to hear from anyone who's done it and what you thought about it the experience.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st.....Tools. If you are fitting up a 1911 there are some tools you will need depending on the level of fit and finish you are looking for.

2nd....You will need some skills in using these tools. Again depending on F. F. desired and what you are starting with.

Watch some U-tube Videos before you jump off into this. There is a lot of info out there.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I have a Commander Model I built in the late 70's. Ranger Machine Aluminum Frame, Bar Sto Barrel, Colt Slide and Wilson incidentals. Hand Fit, NO DREMMEL TOOLS ALLOWED!!!!!!. I polished the sides of the Slide and had it Black Oxide Coated, looks as good as any Old Factory Blue. I had the Frame Electroless Nickle Plated for the BiTone Look. There's a little holster wear on the front of the slide, but I've carried that Gun thousands of hours. Ill post a pic later on! Go For It! You won't be sorry!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I did one. Caspian/caspian/kart. Have another frame in the safe. turned out good, runs well, quite accurate. I have a LOT of hours in it, and some things could/should have been done better. Some tasks are better left to mills rather than hand files... But it's solid and I've used it in USPSA matches.

in the end I spent enough I could have gotten a really nice custom from a reputable builder... By the time I bought tools, had to buy some parts a couple times, etc.

But I did learn a lot, am confident to fix and mod guns like my open gun, do trigger work, etc. Maybe someday I'll build up the second frame...

-rvb

Signess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2016
    Evansville
    It absolutely isn't as easy as building an AR or a Glock. In other words, you can't just assemble a 1911 from parts and have it shoot properly. A lot of fitting is required. Cylinder and Slide in NE still teaches a class on building / customizing a 1911. Bill is one of the best pistol smiths in the world and certainly a good teacher. I took his class about 25 years ago. It can get very expensive building a 1911 is you don't know what you're doing.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    I have built 10 or so. Mostly caspian frame / slide with nowlin barrels. Before I did a complete build I customized a bunch of used Colts. That allows for a gradual build up of tools and fixtures.
    most of what I shoot today is my builds. All of what I carry is my builds

Top Bottom