• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zx854613

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2016
    hammond
    Same as the title. I am looking for a good handgun for myself. I have several chooses Sig P229, HK UPS, CZ 75, or Glock 17 Gen 4. Please give some suggestions! Thanks!

Nicr1991

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    They're all good choices, but it really depends on what you're really looking for in a pistol.
    Is it a carry gun? Concealed or Open?
    Magazine capacity? Etc.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    CZ's are a great gun and are a good value. I have 4 different ones that can fill different roles. Can't go wrong with any of them.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    I third the CZ. I wouldn't want to have it to shoot 50,000 rounds in SHTF, but for normal use (a few hundred rounds a month for practice/training/plinking the odd IDPA or USPSA match and to carry/home defense), you would be hard pressed to find a similarly nice shooting handgun (well the browning hi power with the mag disconnect out does come close but you give up some magazine capacity)

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    Handle each one to feel and see how it fits your hand. Can you manipulate the slide release, magazine release, etc. Find a range that rents these guns or a friend who will take you shooting to try before you make a final decision.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Yep, all good choices.
    I would also recommend the Glock 19, Walther PPQ, and CZ75 Compact.
    All 3 of these are great and very versatile for range, open carry, concealed carry, etc...

There's a gun show in Crown Point coming up Dec 17th and there's one here in Indy at the Stout Field Amory this weekend if you want to make the trip.
    Gun shows provide a great opportunity to fondle all types of different guns to see what you like and you might find a good deal.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I really love my Walther PPQ.

Try a bunch of different pistols, then pick the one you shoot and manipulate best. Just make sure that the model you choose has a reputation for reliability. Also make sure you train with it if you intend to carry it.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Another vote for go out and handle and shoot them. see which grips fit your hand and what grip-angles work with your wrist.

I notice on your list that you have both striker fire and DA/SA (some could be DAO or some variant thereof: DAK, LEMS). That's another factor that they all work, some might be a little better than others for certain purposes, but really comes down to personal preference.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Everyone will have an opinion. None of them should matter to you. The gun has to fit you, not anyone else.

^^^^this^^^^

Hey, there's a literal metric ton load of choices...play the Pokieman game...gotta get them all. Start with what you think you'll like first, afterwards make an unbiased evaluation of whether it is or not (not a validation of the purchase for personal validation) and make a more informed decision for the next one.

Maybe you'll get lucky with the first choice, if not you'll learn something. Have fun.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    CZ makes a fine firearm and would be an excellent all around choice! Any you mentioned would be a great choice depending on your need and how they fit YOU.

Last edited:

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    The FNX and FNS series of pistols are both good to go. They have great triggers, ambi controls and have several models to choose from.

Top Bottom