• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    I could write a proper review, but honestly I can get wordy with proper reviews, but still want to share my experience with the Ruger LCP II because it's been the answer to my pocket .380 search. I've been through a Taurus TCP and Kahr p380 that for better lack of words, just simply sucked. I don't make enough money to spend $700 on a Sig or Colt either, which I admit are nice, but I can't justify buying such a nice gun and then beating it all to hell with daily carry for a BUG. Neither of the aforementioned .380s I had functioned right and the triggers on both were subpar looooooong DA, I sold them both off (Taurus fixed and sold Ftf and p380 went to blythes after $$$ spent trying to get it to work.. and never did).

But I digress. Recently picked up the LCP II for about $300 after transfer fee (not local because Blythes has made it clear they don't want my business). The price is a little higher than the original LCP, and I would say it's worth it except I have never shot an LCP, so if you were hoping for a comparison you can stop reading. The price online is around $275 range give or take, which is reasonable for a pocket pistol. The first and foremost that attracted me to the LCP II is the trigger.

Being single action is something that is rare in pocket .380 pistols that are less than $500, and I must say the LCP II trigger did not disappoint. Someone here on ingo compared it to a stock Glock trigger, and I must agree that's a fair comparison. To illustrate how decent this trigger is.. I shot my SW Shield and the LCP II yesterday, and while I'm not the best pistol marksman, I was able to hold a fist sized group at 7 yards with about a 1 second a shot cadence and head sized group rapid fire mag dump. With my shield I can get head size groups taking my time and buckshot groups with rapid fire :laugh:. That's impressive to me given my skill level and the size of the pistol. I used flush mags for both pistols. My very inexperienced wife and mother even had no problems getting on target with this nice little pistol.

While the trigger alone makes this gun worth it to me, I was also impressed that I was able to keep a decent hold on the gun due to the very grippy but not overly aggressive texturing. My hands get sweaty easy and I never had any problems with maintaining a good grip. The original LCP lacked a lock back feature, while the LCP II does lock back on an empty mag. Many other .380s also have this feature, so it's nice to see Ruger listening to their customers. I was also pleasantly surprised to find the LCP II had very manageable recoil; both of my previous .380s hurt your hand after a few mags, while I can shoot 100 rds or more through this one with minimal discomfort. Even my wife who usually hates the recoil of .380s expressed that she thought this gun was in no way uncomfortable to shoot.

I'm a big fan of Ruger customer service, so I'm confident I will have any issues with this gun fixed in the most stress free way possible. I have run about 200 rounds through mine and only had one malfunction in the 1st 50 and not one since (lock back on partial mag).

P.S. this was my concise review, now you know why I refrained from a wordier "full" review.
    specs for reference:

• Capacity 6+1
    • Barrel Length 2.75"
    • Overall Length 5.17"
    • Weight 10.6 oz.
    • Grip Frame Black, High-Performance, Glass-Filled Nylon

• Slide Material Alloy Steel
    • Barrel Material Alloy Steel
    • Slide Width 0.75"
    • Sights Integral
    • Twist 1:16" RH
    • Grooves 6

• Slide Finish Blued
    • Barrel Finish Blued
    • Height 3.71"
    • CA Approved no
    • MA Approved & Certified no
    • Suggested Retail $349.00

Last edited:

CyberGuyPR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    NWI
    Very nice. Big Ruger fan here. I am grabbing an LCP G1 at my LGS Black Friday sale. Definitely see an LCP II in my future.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Nice, thanks for posting. I was also very impressed with the trigger when I dry fired it at a LGS. Didn't pay attention to their price, but here a while later I saw it on sale and picked it up (online). It gets delivered tomorrow for a grand total of ~$290, including the FFL fee. Looking forward to trying it out, more so due to your mini-review ;)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Nice, thanks for posting. I was also very impressed with the trigger when I dry fired it at a LGS. Didn't pay attention to their price, but here a while later I saw it on sale and picked it up (online). It gets delivered tomorrow for a grand total of ~$290, including the FFL fee. Looking forward to trying it out, more so due to your mini-review ;)

I will be interested to hear your opinion on it.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Glad this has helped some of you guys. I tried to be as honest as possible and not over-embellish, so those that pick up an LCP II, let me know what you think. I have no doubt you will not be disappointed.

gtl1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Having the LCP Custom, I went into Point Blank (Carmel) to see if I could handle the LCP II. Unfortunately, they were completely out.

Instead, I held a Glock 42 and might go back to shoot it at a later point.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Glad this has helped some of you guys. I tried to be as honest as possible and not over-embellish, so those that pick up an LCP II, let me know what you think. I have no doubt you will not be disappointed.

Shot the LCP II today and was very impressed. Way better than the original version. Also had no problems with AE Federal ammo that choked the wife's G42. Very happy with the gun :yesway:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Having the LCP Custom, I went into Point Blank (Carmel) to see if I could handle the LCP II. Unfortunately, they were completely out.

Instead, I held a Glock 42 and might go back to shoot it at a later point.

I`ve had the first Gen LCP, had the Colt PocketLite Mustang, but still went to the Glock 42. Just my preference, I`m a certified Glock guy.

gtl1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I`ve had the first Gen LCP, had the Colt PocketLite Mustang, but still went to the Glock 42. Just my preference, I`m a certified Glock guy.

I've yet to shoot a Glock, but if I go down the route of the 42, I might consider selling my other 9mm's for a Glock 19 as my primary/home gun. My boss has the 19 and loves it, so I might try to shoot it when I go back to look at the 42 again. I've been able to get over the fact that they aren't the prettiest looking guns :)

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I've yet to shoot a Glock, but if I go down the route of the 42, I might consider selling my other 9mm's for a Glock 19 as my primary/home gun. My boss has the 19 and loves it, so I might try to shoot it when I go back to look at the 42 again. I've been able to get over the fact that they aren't the prettiest looking guns :)

I owned a Glock 19 once, but didn`t have it long before I knew I needed, (wanted), the .45 acp instead. As for being ugly, I suppose ugly is in the eye of the beholder. After reading about the Chuck Taylor Glock torture test, I fell in love with the Glocks, and believed them to be beautiful! Never been in one, and pray I never have to be, but I recon the greatest thing of beauty in a handgun, is that it always goes "BANG" in a firefight...

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I owned a Glock 19 once, but didn`t have it long before I knew I needed, (wanted), the .45 acp instead. As for being ugly, I suppose ugly is in the eye of the beholder. After reading about the Chuck Taylor Glock torture test, I fell in love with the Glocks, and believed them to be beautiful! Never been in one, and pray I never have to be, but I recon the greatest thing of beauty in a handgun, is that it always goes "BANG" in a firefight...

In that case, be careful what ammo you use in your G42, if you get one. The one we bought the wife is the second version, or whatever, that was supposed to be the most reliable, but it's picky on ammo. The LCP II on the other hand, ate everything I threw at it yesterday at the range, even the ammo that choked the Glock... ;)

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    In that case, be careful what ammo you use in your G42, if you get one. The one we bought the wife is the second version, or whatever, that was supposed to be the most reliable, but it's picky on ammo. The LCP II on the other hand, ate everything I threw at it yesterday at the range, even the ammo that choked the Glock... ;)

Oh, I`ve had a Glock 42 for quite some time. It`s never had an issue with ME firing it. My son shot it, and was getting stovepipes until I reminded him to keep his wrist rigid, and just like that, no more issues. I stake my life on my Glocks, as that`s all I carry.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Oh, I`ve had a Glock 42 for quite some time. It`s never had an issue with ME firing it. My son shot it, and was getting stovepipes until I reminded him to keep his wrist rigid, and just like that, no more issues. I stake my life on my Glocks, as that`s all I carry.

I found the 42 to be just OK. I have an original LCP and it gets the nod over the 42 almost every day. The Glock was just too big for a pocket gun compared to the Ruger, and it never really fit my hand right. Unlike my 19 which I shoot pretty well.

I recently traded my Glock 42 for the Ruger LCR to go with the LCP. I can tell I am going to like the LCR a lot.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

That's exactly what I thought when my wife was having issues, until I tried it. Believe me, I wasn't limp wristing it and was getting 2 - 3 issues with every mag. This was with AE Federal ammo. The G42 we have won't get through a single mag without an issue with that ammo. Runs the SD ammo I picked up for it fine and Midwest and Geco ball ammo seem to work fine, but the AE Federal was a no go. Ironically the LCP II runs the AE Federal ammo without problems. Go figure. If I have any more issues with the G42, I may end up sending it in to Glock to look at.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    That's exactly what I thought when my wife was having issues, until I tried it. Believe me, I wasn't limp wristing it and was getting 2 - 3 issues with every mag. This was with AE Federal ammo. The G42 we have won't get through a single mag without an issue with that ammo. Runs the SD ammo I picked up for it fine and Midwest and Geco ball ammo seem to work fine, but the AE Federal was a no go. Ironically the LCP II runs the AE Federal ammo without problems. Go figure. If I have any more issues with the G42, I may end up sending it in to Glock to look at.

I would absolutely send it back to Glock and have them shake it down. Seriously, my 42 eats anything I put through it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom