• ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I'm thinking of finally getting one of these. I
    For those who own one, what SD ammo seems to work for you.
    Is this similar to other Ruger semis in that it'll eat nearly anything?

Thanks in advance INGO

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Mine has eaten everything I have thrown at it. Using up some Red Star 124gr Gold Dots, then trying out Winchester PDX and Federal HST. I practice with 125gr cast reloads dropped from a Lee 357 magnum mold over a small load of Power Pistol.

My only two concerns with this pistol are; 1) keep the striker channel clean. 2) keep the mag release catch clean and lubed.

Last edited:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Thanks guys.
    dak, What issues were you having? And by clean you mean after a few hundred rounds or will a few mags foul the striker channel to the point of concern?

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Yep. I have a handful of SR's, including the SR9c. I've run a bunch of loads through it and can't get it to choke. My SD load of choice is the Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr +P.

But do as others have said and clean it when you get it, including the striker channel. They load that thing with grease for shipping.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    As said above. Issue with striker channel was when it was new. I just wipe it with a light oil and haven't had further issues. This is the only striker fired pistol I own, so I am not sure if it is unique to it or indicative of the platform.

the mag catch just showed up in the last 18 months. I have read elsewhere that it is an issue. If the release sticks, pull the mag catch and use some Scotchbrite on it. I have done mine twice. That being said, I do abuse this gun. Carry it everyday, and don't clean it as often as I should. If you treat her right I can't imagine her letting you down. Easily the most accurate semiauto I have shot. Well, i haven't shot the Coonan enough to be fair yet

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    As mentioned, eats any ammo without fail, but do keep the striker channel clean. The only negative thing abut the gun, in my opinion, is that it could stand to have better sights.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I bought one in September and was getting some FTF with the Winchester white box. Thoroughly cleaned the gun and lubed it (everyone was saying it runs well dry??), and that took care of the problem.

If any chance you're local and interested in a very lightly used (not carried) SR9C w/ box and all the papers, let me know. I have my eye on something else now. :)

Reported. Don't try and break rules on selling.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought one in September and was getting some FTF with the Winchester white box. Thoroughly cleaned the gun and lubed it (everyone was saying it runs well dry??), and that took care of the problem.

If any chance you're local and interested in a very lightly used (not carried) SR9C w/ box and all the papers, let me know. I have my eye on something else now. :)

:nono:

gtl1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Reported. Don't try and break rules on selling.

2642336-6984060567-40813.jpg

Great contribution to the thread. Very insightful information. 10/10

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    As mentioned, eats any ammo without fail, but do keep the striker channel clean. The only negative thing abut the gun, in my opinion, is that it could stand to have better sights.
    The 3 dots did take me some getting used to. I was used to shooting revolvers with target sights. I do like the fact that they are adjustable. I have passed on some other guns because of fixed sights. I like to be able to tweet sights for different loads and the way I tend to shoot.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Thanks folks! Now to save my pennies a bit more.
    Someoen tried going around the 50 in one of my threads. Wow, I've finally arrived. Now to get that 50th quality post that seems to have eluded me all these years.....

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I don't know the barrel length on the SR9C but I recommend reading up on Hornady Critical Duty vs. Critical Defense ammo. Hornady says the C Duty ammo is intended for full size pistols while the C Defense load is intended for shorter barreled versions.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I don't know the barrel length on the SR9C but I recommend reading up on Hornady Critical Duty vs. Critical Defense ammo. Hornady says the C Duty ammo is intended for full size pistols while the C Defense load is intended for shorter barreled versions.

Thanks. I like the Critical Defense round. I was thinking of seeing of the standard pressure Critical Duty made sense to try.
    I think I might try the Gold Dots I use in my cyrrent carry.

Top Bottom