• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I shot Warthog's at an INGO shoot last year. Interesting gun. Due to the extremely low axis of the bore (bottom cylinder fires instead of the top) the muzzle rise is almost nonexistent. It pushes straight back into the palm of your hand. Alternating between 38 and 357, the only difference was how hard it hit my palm.

I dont like the look, but I like the concept and how it stays on target. Neat guns.

echestnet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2016
    Martinsville
    I actually like the look and how thin it is. I don't know much about Chiappa brand itself. Have o lyrics seen the cheap semi autos they make, would Derek about quality of the manufacturer as well.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Going by memory from when I was active on Glock Talk: they're unnecessarily complicated internally. Lots of parts - delicate parts.

There were also reports of light strikes.

General rule of thumb: if it's made by Chiappa - ypure probably better off spending your money elsewhere.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    I got one it's cool. Never had issues with it but would not use as a carry gun. The internals are different but only one part is divided into 2 from my understanding so only one extra part in the trigger. The cocking hammer is not connected directly to the hammer that fires the pin. With the lower barrel it feels like a 38 when your shooting a 357. Unique fun gun but I think 1000 is over priced I bought mine at least 5 years ago and I didn't pay that much.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    They're a very innovative design, what with the bottom cylinder firing instead of the top to greatly lower the bore axis, plus the strange floating hammer, but some of the internals do make it seem a bit gimmicky.
    There's a rather obnoxious YouTuber (*cough* YankeeMarshal *cough*) who has using one as his primary carry weapon, but that guy is so fickle that it's about impossible to take most of what he says very seriously.
    I'll stick to my Ruger, thank you very much.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I have a 4 and a 5 inch barrel.
    They have the smoothest trigger pull.
    The recoil is so light and direct because it does not kick up.
    ONE thing to remember!
    When you short load it.
    You have to turn the round down instead of usual up next.
    The Rhino now comes in 9mm.
    The 9 mm will not quickly unload with out the moon clip.
    You have to pick each out.
    You can order the 357/38 or 9mm interchangeable cylinder.
    I have not fired the 2 inch.
    I just do not feel comfortable firing a 357 in that short one. THAT IS JUST ME!

When I shoot it combat. it is just as quick firing as my autos.
    I now use moon clips. I have not used my Rhino enough to smooth my reloading.
    When I do not use moon clip 357/38. I load 2 rounds at a time. I pinch two and they go right in.

1milehigher

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2013
    Central Ind
    Check YouTube for Hicock45's video. He says more than once it is the ugliest gun he's ever seen. However, he liked the way it shot and, to his credit, was able to ring his gong that appears to be 25+yards away.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Check YouTube for Hicock45's video. He says more than once it is the ugliest gun he's ever seen. However, he liked the way it shot and, to his credit, was able to ring his gong that appears to be 25+yards away.

FWIW, I believe HK45's gong is actually 85 yards from where he usually stands while shooting, which is just off to the side of his big table.

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    I bought the first one that showed up in my state (6 years ago?), and I like it. Never had a light strike in a couple thousand rounds through it (though velocities are low from this gun compared to other guns with similar barrel lengths) and this particular one (very early) has some hand-fitting issues that are more quirks than problems. Grant Cunningham has done a great couple posts on the complex internals (my SP-101 is simple, cheap, bulletproof and carries one less round - also heavier and not as fast to recover from shot to shot). The Rhino is pricey for what you get, but it's a nifty small/light .357.

RhinostocksT-day24nov11004.jpg

Mas Ayoob had mentioned the reduction in muzzle lift, and I've really found it to be the case (even though the aluminum-framed gun weighs only 23-oz). This does make it remarkably easy to shoot with magnum loads - folks trying it out at the range are always amazed (in fact, it's one of the two revolvers we keep at-the-ready in the house). I find my (same magnum ammo) follow-up shots are actually faster with this than with my 4.2" GP-100. If you're into that, it's maybe worth the money.

Here's a pretty detailed review I put up back when I bought the thing (has some size comparison photos that may be of interest).

Charged a Rhino - Handguns and Ammunition Forums

0421141545a.jpg

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Lots of people pitch a fit just because it's different. I agree it's ugly but I still want one. The 4"+ barrelled ones aren't nearly as ugly. Seems like earlier this year there were quite a few on AL of various lengths and finishes. Since allocating the budget and approval from the better half, I've seen only black 2" models.

As for Chiappa's quality, I've heard mixed stories on the Rhino. some places have reported that it depends on the production run for trigger quality. There are a few stories of failures but many more of happy owners and as is the rule of customer service, for every 1 complaint there are 20+ happy customers. Their semi-autos are mostly clones of other guns, my wife has a MC14 which is a clone of a Beretta 84FS with a full slide, softer springs, and no decocker on the safety. It's a little picky about ammo (because of the weak spring) but it's the only gun my wife's liked enough to buy/keep. No, she doesn't carry it (or anything else).

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    While I haven't shot it, I was looking to buy one for a while. I rather like the looks, and I love how it works. I liked how they felt in my hand for that matter. IMO theres a guy at S&W saying "why didn't I think of that". I gave up on it because it was just too much $$$. A 642 will do what I need to do in a snubbie....

Top Bottom