• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone have any experience with both these pistols?

Colt Mustang vs. Bersa Thunder CC?

I am interested in your experience and reviews. I prefer the all-metal version of the Colt and the CC version of the Bersa.

Opinions? Insights?

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I have had both, but the Mustang (along with 2 other Mustangs in the safe) is still in my pocket if that tells you what my opinion is. Both are great guns, but the Mustang, to me, is just so much nicer.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    After careful consideration and extensive research I finally made my choice between the Colt Mustang and the Bersa CC.

Yesterday I was able to handle both firearms at a LGS. I found the Colt to be nearly identical in size to the TCP, with a very good grip and acceptable sights. I found the Bersa to be much larger, similar to the Taurus 709 Slim. So my preference was for the Colt.

The local shop was asking $638+tax. I did not purchase on the spot, but decided to do further cost comparison to see if I could find a basis for negotiating a lower offer. I found a couple sites offering the unit for ~$575, but these would require at least an additional $40 for FFL and shipping. Sales tax was a concern, but Indiana charges 7% so I did not consider that as a factor.

Then I found the weapon for $519 with free shipping and no sales tax collected at time of sale. I had a long conversation with the store to ensure I was purchasing the aluminum alloy frame, not the polymer one. Once this was ascertained, I placed the order.

Colt Mustang Pocketlite 380 ACP | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore

I apparently got the last one. It was marked "In Stock" when I ordered but it now shows "Temporarily Out of Stock."

I will post an AAR when the first range trip is completed, probably after the holidays. Thanks for your assistance, folks!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I took the Colt Mustang to the range this morning. I put 150 rounds through it–fifty Freedom Remanufactured 90gr FMJ, fifty Freedom XTP 100gr, 50 Fiocchi 90gr JHP. I had two FTFeed from the Freedom XTP, but all the others fired without any problem.

The piece is extremely accurate. It did its job, and did it well. It took me awhile to figure it out, but the last four mags (24 rounds) were pretty good shooting for me (see target photo).

Overall, very, very happy with the Colt Mustang.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

michaelward50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have a Thunder .380 and a Thunder .45. Both are phenomenal guns in my oppinion. Not the smallest ever, but not bad. What I love is the balance, reliability, and accuracy. Of course most of this come with practice more than purchase.

I'm sure the Colt is great too, but I've never owned one.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I sold everything I had (mostly small calibers) in 1990, but I kept my Colt Mustang with 4 magazines in the box and everything with it.
    I was standing in line to get in early at the 1500, either the late 80s or 1990, and I guy in back of me had it for sale and we got to talking.
    $275, and I had the cash on me (lots of money for me at the time: but it was a Colt!).
    I was so proud to get a Colt b/c it was normally out of my reach price-wise.
    I'm so glad I kept it: wonderful gun.
    At the time is was considered small, but not by today's sub-compact standards.
    I have a Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard .380 that I picked up for $200 (didn't need it, but the price............), which I enjoy and throw it in my pocket or ankle holster,
    but the Colt: is my only Colt, and I don't like to carry it. My DeSanti pocket holster protects pretty well, though.
    I have been temped to buy a Commemorative Colt (twice) but the feedback I get is they are mainly for decor, not for shooting (deal-breaker), and every once in awhile I'll find either here or Armslist an old Colt police revolver for a decent price that's worn that tempts me, but I fight it, consoling myself with my Mustang. :laugh:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I purchased the Colt Mustang a year ago. I have used it for CC when I needed to be absolutely certain it would not be seen, and for occasions when I was involved in physical activity like running or mowing the lawn. It is small enough that I can conceal it easily and completely. I have used an ankle holster with it, and an IWB holster that works for strong-side carry or cross draw. The Colt just settles in and stays where it is supposed to be. I have a small pouch I use as a holster when running or lawn mowing. The pouch keeps the Colt out of the perspiration, and stays in play while running. Overall, it is a great choice for EDC when deep cover is essential, or when physical activity is afoot.

I take it to the range as part of my regular practice routine. It has never failed for any reason since the initial range trip. I am as accurate with it from 7-10 yards as with my FNS-9 or my small single-stack 9mm. I do not anticipate ever using it beyond that range, so I am good to go.

Still very happy with the Colt Mustang. Excellent weapon.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom