How to accidentally discharge your handgun properly.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    gvbndgf
    In the description it says he did everything right during shooting but did some things "wrong" prior to the shoot, including an aftermarket hammer and sear that was supposed to be installed by a gunsmith.

I quoted wrong because it also says that the gun had been tested with 1000 rounds after the mods and before the shoot.

He did a hell of a job during all that. Handled it perfectly

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Would be nice to know more, if it was a hammer/sear issue you wonder why the gun didn't go full auto.

I have had a firing pin stuck out by a piece of debris.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would like to know why they didn't check the pistol right after this happened? That firearm needs to go straight to a qualified gunsmith to be checked!

probably to keep the match moving. Those behind him cant be shooting if they are screwing around on the range with a malfunctioning weapon. The match is not the time or place to be figuring out why a gun is malfunctioning.

On another note, it sucks that he would be DQed for that. I just checked the IDPA rulebook and they do consider discharge during loading, malfunction clearing, or unloading a DQ event with no exception for equipment failure while the gun is pointed in an otherwise safe direction. (since he was practicing with an empty pistol I have to assume its NOT IDPA and is USPSA or other variant.)

I witnessed a 1911 go full auto at a match this season. Luckily it was after the beep (mid stage) and he was able to go retrieve another weapon to finish the stage/match with. You'd think that there would be some discretion when it was a confirmed equipment failure not a shooter fail since the same thing happening AFTER the beep could be considered a re-shoot event.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Other than the round of applause "for doing things right,":rolleyes: that is not completely uncommon at USPSA matches. That is why we practice and promote gun handling as we do.

Everyone should come out and join us. One of the best ways to learn safe gun handling. :ingo:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    probably to keep the match moving. Those behind him cant be shooting if they are screwing around on the range with a malfunctioning weapon. The match is not the time or place to be figuring out why a gun is malfunctioning.

that's what safe tables are for...

On another note, it sucks that he would be DQed for that. I just checked the IDPA rulebook and they do consider discharge during loading, malfunction clearing, or unloading a DQ event with no exception for equipment failure while the gun is pointed in an otherwise safe direction. (since he was practicing with an empty pistol I have to assume its NOT IDPA and is USPSA or other variant.)

there's no exceptions for uspsa, either, other than a "detonation" when unloading (e.g. primer hits ejector). "shots" (bullet leaving barrel) are DQ, period.

I witnessed a 1911 go full auto at a match this season. Luckily it was after the beep (mid stage) and he was able to go retrieve another weapon to finish the stage/match with. You'd think that there would be some discretion when it was a confirmed equipment failure not a shooter fail since the same thing happening AFTER the beep could be considered a re-shoot event.

re-shoot? there's mulligans in idpa now?

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom