• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Found some ATI 1911's on sale for 360 bucks. Does anyone own one? If so, is it a decent firearm for the price?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Out of the box as is I'd classify it as a range gun only.
    I had one and after spending a couple of hundred more on it I got it dependable enough to carry it at work. I bought it because my work environment was brutal on clothing and I'd be laying on the ground and concrete often. I didn't want to expose a nicer gun to those elements.
    The fit and tolerances were adequate at best and horrible on the other extremes.
    The rule is solid here... You get what you pay for.

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    ATI

I just picked up a few months ago the ATI 1911 GI commander, so far got 300 rounds through it, has shot real well, I have only had 1-FTF & 1-Stove pipe, that was out of the box no cleaning at all. I since then cleaned it polished the areas that needed polishing & haven't had any other issues. For what you pay for the pistol the fit & finish is outstanding, also the way that Commander fits in hand, got a natural feel to it.
    I have shot Steel case, aluminium case, bass all 230 grain FMJ. I just picked up some 165 gr Hydra shock JHP Federal Premium that I need to test to see how if functions with hollow points. So far it has no issues racking a round into the chamber.
    The trigger pull is good for a 1911 priced at this amount, I got mine at a local shop for $448.56 that was a box of ammo & extra 7 round mag.

View attachment 51887

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    I had one. Had about 1000 rds through it. With zero failures using good mags. (WC 47D) Carried it for a long t ime with no hesitations. Slicked up a few internals and it ran like a top. Would definitely recommend as a solid knock around 1911.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you're talking about American Tactical Imports, I will NEVER purchase ANYTHING from them again.
    Customer service was completely nonexistent.
    Promised a replacement, never got satisfaction, even after threatening to file with the B.B.B.

Absolutely not. I would not buy anything from them.
    Y.M.M.V.

fili450r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2016
    Hamilton
    owned on for awhile now. over 500 rounds through it. I cannot recall a malfunction with mine. overall a decent budget 1911. rural king does sales on them from time to time, can get it pretty cheap there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have owned 2. They both sucked.

But I have standards.....:):

Like others said, you get what you pay for in a 1911. You may get a decent enough one to fill the roll you are looking at. You might get a turd.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Not an ATI but I have a stock Rock Island with the tactical sights. I have had it for several years and it has been 100% reliable. It's been an awesome 45.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I would watch Rural King if I was you. I have seen Rock Islands a couple times in the last couple months for $370 plus tax. Maybe these were Christmas is coming specials, maybe not. I know there are a few people here that will knock RI 1911s, but I believe to be better than ATI. I have 2 Taurus, 2 RI, 1 Charles Daly, and 1 Springfield Armory. I try to spread the love between them, but its tough. I tend to reach for my RI most often, followed by Taurus. They all run with no problems. Good luck with your final decision...

heeringa

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I bought and ATI GSG 1911 .22lr from Beech Grove Firearms in 2012 for $350. It was the first pistol I ever bought. Put several thousand rounds through it with a handful of failures. This was back before prices went full stupid and I could afford to spend an hour at a range trying to see how many rounds I could fire. Got to the point with it that at 10 yards I could fire 10 shots in under 4 seconds and the pattern would be within the size of a softball.

Once prices on .22lr ammo went full stupid and I couldn't afford to play with it as much as I liked to, I traded it to a buddy towards the price of a shotgun.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    50 percent of the time I carry my ATI Commander 45acp. I gave it a carry enhancement. Basically knocking down all the hard edges around the thumb safety, slide release, and heavily rounding the front of the slide for ease of holstering.

It is reliable and feeds any ammo. The only quirk about it is the magwell is a bit tight and is picky with what magazines will drop free. It will feed from any mag. Just not all drop free.

I got mine for around 340 after taxes and transfer fee.

Top Bottom