• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    So, i've got a working theory going on here, but i need your help, INGO.

Please rank the following guns on how smooth/well they shoot. Take recoil impulse and accuracy. I'm not really comparing triggers right now. for comparison sake, let's pretend they're all 9mm, except the 1911

Glock (17 or 19)
    S&W M&P 9 (full size)
    Springfield XD9
    H&K VP9
    CZ 75
    Sig P226
    Sig P320
    Beretta 92

Just rank them with 1 being the lowest impulse/best to shoot, 9 being the least. You dont have to rank them all, if you're only comfortable with a few, only rank a few.

Thanks!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Depends what you're talking about with the CZ 75, 1911, 92, and P226. Are you talking about off the shelf rack grade guns, or upgraded/premium firearms? Any of those can be upgraded to be the firearm equivalent of a swiss watch.

The rest are plastic and belong in a dishwasher with the rest of the tupperware :stickpoke:

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Depends what you're talking about with the CZ 75, 1911, 92, and P226. Are you talking about off the shelf rack grade guns, or upgraded/premium firearms? Any of those can be upgraded to be the firearm equivalent of a swiss watch.

The rest are plastic and belong in a dishwasher with the rest of the tupperware :stickpoke:

Off the rack. Remember, not comparing triggers, only things like recoil and accuracy.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Not on your list, but I think the Beretta PX4 has better felt recoil characteristics (9mm) than any other firearm on your list. It was surprising to me. I thought my H&K was a *****cat. Not compared with the PX4.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This is INGO, so someone has to be difficult. By design the CZ will have the lowest felt recoil/fastest follow up shots.

1. CZ
    2. 226 (only experience being a Legion)
    3. 1911
    4. 320
    5. G****
    6. XD (have only shot a .40)

Don't have experience with the others. Always willing to try something new, but I've not found anything so far that shoots as well as a CZ.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Not on your list, but I think the Beretta PX4 has better felt recoil characteristics (9mm) than any other firearm on your list. It was surprising to me. I thought my H&K was a *****cat. Not compared with the PX4.

well, that kinda falls into my theory. i'm working on a video laying the whole thing out and i'll post it around here somewhere when i'm finished. This poll is just to solidify what the common perception of how well firearms shoot is.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Opinions on this will be so subjective they will be without any value at all. You might as well ask a guy what kind of women he likes. It will be just as meaningful for you.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    First off, why don't you make the 1911 in 9mm? Less variables.

I am of no help in ranking these as the only thing I have shot would be the 1911 and the M&P. And both are 9mm.:)

I have a unfired P226, looked at a G17 but decided against it, looked at the PPQ M2 which is not a choice but I like them. Next up for me is the VP9. I have read good things about that one. I want to learn more.

So for me:

1911 in 9mm
    M&P FS 9mm

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I can agree with the CZ 75 being a soft and smooth shooting pistol. I was surprised to see the Beretta 92 farther down the list. In basic pistol classes, I would put students in the Beretta 92 right after the Ruger MKIII .22. The Beretta 92 is easy to shoot and easy to shoot well.

Like Gregkl, I have a Range Officer in 9mm, that is an easy shooter also. When I first got it I had to keep checking for a squib round because the recoil was so tame. It never had a problem, I was just used to major power factor rounds in the 1911 chassis. It has far less recoil than the .45 or the .40 models of the 1911.

The sigs are good pieces, but they sit too high in my hand. I don't know if they recoil more, but the recoil does not feel "right". Maybe I would have gotten used to it, but never bought one.

I did not find glocks to be classified as soft or smooth, but with that club of a handle, they are certainly controllable. I have owned several of them.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If that's all you're looking for, mount them to something compliant that has a good return to zero and use a load cell to figure it out.

My money is on the heavier handguns being measurably better in recoil. And my money is on the CZ being the most accurate of the handguns listed if we're talking "rack grade".....aka, not a Wilson 1911 or 92, Sig Legion, Cajunized CZ, etc...

Off the rack. Remember, not comparing triggers, only things like recoil and accuracy.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    At the risk of being accused of coloring outside the lines, the Walther CCP swayed this diehard anti striker, anti Tupperware curmudgeon with it's ergonomics, accuracy and has the lowest perceived recoil of any 9mm I have ever fired.

[video=youtube;zd6yiyYm63o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd6yiyYm63o[/video]

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    At the risk of being accused of coloring outside the lines, the Walther CCP swayed this diehard anti striker, anti Tupperware curmudgeon with it's ergonomics, accuracy and has the lowest perceived recoil of any 9mm I have ever fired.

I'd agree with that, as long as you get one with a decent trigger and don't mind the travel. I have one, I can mock it. Seems like some have a great (albeit long) trigger, some it's more like a metal plate being dragged down a gravel road (though it can be fixed). I don't know if that fits the OP's original criteria but I can't really figure out the criteria other than full size guns.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    1.VP9
    2. P226
    3.Cz P09 never shot a 75
    4. G17
    5.M&P

I have never shot the other pistols listed.

The worse for recoil I've ever shot in 9 was an XDS, it is not in the same league as a G43 or Shield.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom