• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    My wife's cousin is looking for a 1911 in 9mm. We took her out a couple months ago and let her shoot about 30 different pistols so she could get an idea of what she liked. She just got her LTCH this year and will be starting a new job soon. Out of everything she shot she liked my Ruger SR1911LW in 45 the best, but wanted it in 9mm for the lower recoil. Most of the things she shot didn't fit her hand well. I wear a size 12 ring and her hand is the same size as mine except she has long piano player fingers. She's made up her mind on the 1911 in 9mm so at this point nothing else will be considered.

So far my Ruger is the only 1911 she's handled. She said she'd like to shoot some that are in 9mm before she buys something though. Does any one know of any ranges in the Indy (or anywhere east all the way to Ohio) that have any for rent? Also, are there any particular guns that are recommended or ones to stay away from?

She would like something with an alloy frame if possible for the weight savings. She's also looking at price range around $800-850 max.

Things I've found so far are:
    Ruger SR1911
    Colt Defender
    Springfield RO

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I am with her, I want the 1911 in 9mm, mostly because everything else I have is in 9, and I want to keep the same caliber. I looked around at several ranges, Parabellum, and Point Blank, and they do not have 1911 in 9mm as loaners. Try giving others a call and see if they have anything. I am considering the RIA Standard (starter/low budget) or Springfield RO (higher budget/higher quality).

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I can't speak to range rentals, but I will very highly recommend the new SR1911 9mm commander. I was able to pick one up from Grab-A-Gun for just a tick under 7 bills this fall, and I haven't been a bit sorry. I did change out the grips (I have longish piano fingers, and prefer slightly thicker grips). I also changed out the factory 10# recoil spring for a 14# spring, as the slide had a sort of "lazy" feel during cycling. I've been really, really happy with it. Unlike most Rugers I've had in the past, the sights were dead-on right out of the gate, and I think the trigger is just as nice as my pricier S&W 1911 E-series, and about as accurate too. In fact, the SR1911 9mm commander has become one of my favorites, and now goes to the range every time I do. Boy, for the price, even with some of the extra $$ I spent on the grips and the recoil spring, I couldn't be happier with it, absolutely no buyer's remorse here.

And honestly... a 1911 shooting experience with 9mm ammo prices? The recoil is very pleasant, and it doesn't break the bank.

I'm not much of a photographer, but I think it's a very clean, nice looking 1911.

20161030_224128_zpsraupgl9c.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a Range Officer. I love it. I had three .45 1911's before I bought this one and I will not be going back. They are so much fun to shoot I wonder why I am even considering buying a striker fired pistol.

I have "sold" at least three that I know of just by handing mine to someone to try. Made a believer out of them.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    The Ruger SR1911LW 9mm is on her short list. She really liked my 45 and their house gun is a Ruger P90. It's not set in stone yet though. Her new job will be at one of the hospitals in the area. Since she won't be able to carry it on her person while she works she's looking at purse carry to start out with. Not ideal, and we're working on that along with some training, but better than nothing. One thing she was concerned about was the overall size & weight of the commander. The officers sized gun will fit my hand very well with no pinkie overhang so it will probably fit her the same way. I don't have an officers size any longer so that's one of the things we're looking to rent if possible.

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Why didn't they fit her hand well? From the way you described them, her hands sound enormous for a woman. I'm picturing something resembling a tree frog's hand. I've got fairly big hands for a woman, fairly long fingers, but they're still small compared to a man's.

Not exactly the same as a 1911, but hammer fired - I love my CZ 75B and it's extremely easy to shoot well.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Why didn't they fit her hand well? From the way you described them, her hands sound enormous for a woman. I'm picturing something resembling a tree frog's hand. I've got fairly big hands for a woman, fairly long fingers, but they're still small compared to a man's.

Not exactly the same as a 1911, but hammer fired - I love my CZ 75B and it's extremely easy to shoot well.

She's 5'10" and medium build. I have small hands for a guy, her's are the same size as mine except she has longer fingers. If I put my hand to hers, palm to palm, her finger tips are at least 1/4" longer than mine. Piano player fingers.

The problem she had with most of them was the trigger reach, most things were too short for her and not comfortable. When we went to the range the first time she shot:

Various Glocks, Gen 3 19, 26, 30 (non SF), 30S SF, 21SF - She didn't care for any of them.
    M&P 9 FS & Pro 5" with all different grips - nope.
    Kahr P9 - :lmfao:
    Ladysmith 3913 - didn't like the DA/SA, didn't fit well.
    S&W 642 - hated it.
    Ruger GP100WC - too heavy, didn't like trigger pull.
    Walther PPS M2 - too short trigger reach.
    Ruger P90 - Trigger reach good, didn't like DA/SA, too fat, thought it was bulky.

The next time out we brought different ones, similar results. Both times she shot the Ruger 1911 and liked it. She didn't have to shift her grip and was able to hit the best with it.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Let her try a springer
    EMP-9 they are light & smaller than a full frame 1911 .If too small larger grips can be had

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    The problem she had with most of them was the trigger reach, most things were too short for her
    The opposite of my problem, for sure. So probably not a CZ 75B then. I'd think she'd have no problem picking a 1911, my problem with most of them is that the trigger reach is way too long. She should count herself lucky. She might end up being totally happy with a .45 after she shoots a little more and gets used to it. My own preferences and grip and abilities everything have changed a lot as I've shot more and gotten better. I'm looking for a .45 1911 myself right now, but a few years ago I refused to do much with anything except 9mm.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Let her try a springer
    EMP-9 they are light & smaller than a full frame 1911 .If too small larger grips can be had

Walt beat me to the Springfield EMP recommendation. She can try mine if ever in Terre Haute (ish) area.

I doubt the EMP would work well. IIRC the EMP was shrunk down so the frame isn't the same size as the regular 1911 frame. If that's the case then it would shorten the trigger reach, which isn't what she is after. The EMP may be on MY list in the future, but not hers.

The opposite of my problem, for sure. So probably not a CZ 75B then. I'd think she'd have no problem picking a 1911, my problem with most of them is that the trigger reach is way too long. She should count herself lucky. She might end up being totally happy with a .45 after she shoots a little more and gets used to it. My own preferences and grip and abilities everything have changed a lot as I've shot more and gotten better. I'm looking for a .45 1911 myself right now, but a few years ago I refused to do much with anything except 9mm.

She may well step up to a standard 45 at some point, but not for a while. She's expecting long hours at the hospital so won't have tons of time to shoot. She didn't have too much of a problem with the 45 recoil but liked the 9mm much better. Cost of ammo was a consideration as well. I cast & reload for both so I told her not to worry about that, but it was still a factor.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I decided to take the 9mm 1911 plunge a couple weeks ago. I bought a Colt LW Commander. I haven't gotten to shoot it yet though, so I can't comment on its shootability.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Springfield Armory Range officer was my solution. I still like (and mostly shoot) the .45 acp versions, but the 9mm has it's place. I bought mine new and one magazine had failure problems. A call to Springfield and they replaced it. It is the only 1911 chassis pistol in my collection still wearing a factory barrel, it is very accurate.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I have the Springfield RO in 9mm and absolutely love it. It has far less recoil than my .45. I bought mine solely for IDPA shooting and haven't shot my Glock in competition since. -Jason

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have the Springfield RO in 9mm and absolutely love it. It has far less recoil than my .45. I bought mine solely for IDPA shooting and haven't shot my Glock in competition since. -Jason

That sounds just like me only my other pistol was a M&P. I eventually sold it.

Top Bottom