• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Other than sights, I have a pretty stock G19 Gen 4. Was wondering who makes a good guide rod for aftermarket. Nothing wrong with what I got when I bought it, but I like different things. Suggestions?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Runt1122

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fulton County
    Other than sights, I have a pretty stock G19 Gen 4. Was wondering who makes a good guide rod for aftermarket. Nothing wrong with what I got when I bought it, but I like different things. Suggestions?

I put the smooth G17 trigger on my Glocks. I do not like the serrated trigger. I also add an extended slide release.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    Beautiful work! Do you have a website? I googled it and didn't find a website.

Excaliber - Shameless promotion inbound, but a must for me is front cocking serrations. Front cocking serrations allow you to safely press-check to ensure that a loaded round is in the chamber, and makes checking an empty chamber easier. I also am a proponent of re-cutting the rear serrations in the CCG configuration - which insets the serrations while keeping the rear of the slide at the last serration a bit proud. Those two customization options really elevate your EDC. The top of the slide serrations and 45-degree chamfer are for looks.
    15697204_1778135539118075_4493491096981075941_n.jpg

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    I like these two, though I doubt I'd buy the second one. I'll probably let the tritium die since its bad juju to fire into the darkness, and the tritium disappears as soon as I turn on my tactical light. luckily the previous owner installed them.

Guide rod
    Lone Wolf Guide Rod Assembly Glock 19 23 32 38 SS

night sights
    Meprolight Tru-Dot Sight Set Glock 17 19 22 23 24 35 Steel Blue
    According to the fine print on Midway's listing for the guide rod, the following part is also needed when that guide rod is used on a Gen 4:
    Lone Wolf Gen 4 Guide Rod Adapter Glock 17192223 Steel

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    Excaliber - Shameless promotion inbound, but a must for me is front cocking serrations. Front cocking serrations allow you to safely press-check to ensure that a loaded round is in the chamber, and makes checking an empty chamber easier.
    Excalibur has a Gen 4. One of the features promoted on the Gen 4 is that extractor protrudes a bit when the chamber is loaded somewhat reducing the need for press-checks. Or, do you disagree?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Excalibur has a Gen 4. One of the features promoted on the Gen 4 is that extractor protrudes a bit when the chamber is loaded somewhat reducing the need for press-checks. Or, do you disagree?

And even if not (which it does)...the rear slide serrations + a pinch-grip accomplish the exact same thing without having the hands anywhere close to the muzzle of a potentially loaded firearm.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Never had a problem doing a press check and I only think front serrations is more of a fashion statement on a gun than anything. A good pinch on the rear serrations does the same job.

I did get an extended slide stop for the hell of it though and extended take down. But I would like to try different guild rods.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers

The loaded chamber indicating extractor has been factory stock/standard on all Gen3 and Gen4 Glocks for several years now.
    Works well. All you have to do is look or feel for it and you know if there's a chambered round or not. Press check not necessary.

I also like the smooth face trigger, extended mag release, and extended slide release.
    I also like the 3.5lb Ghost connector, 6 lbs trigger bar spring, and lighter plunger spring.
    I do not like changing the striker spring because you will get light primer strikes so I just leave that alone.
    You can change the recoil spring, but it's not really necessary on a Gen4 IMHO unless you want to change it over to a Gen3 style single spring.

Enjoy!

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I think people change the guide rod simply because the end of it is plastic and people want stainless steel.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Glocks are perfect. Get more mags and ammo.

I prefer smooth triggers as someone else stated. Don't mind factory sights although prefer steel and tritium. Trying a seT of Trijicon HD. The Heinie streight 8 looks real nice too. Other than sights and a smooth trigger I wouldn't touch them. Buy extra stock parts if it makes you feel better.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I would not mess with the guide rod personally. Mag release changed out to Vickers is standard for me (Gen 3 and 4, but the Gen 4 Vickers is really a more noticeable improvement). Other than that and some good night sights (Trijicon HD's or Ameriglo Spartan Tacticals are my choice), I pretty much keep them stock. Buy a bunch of OEM mags and you are good to go.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I would not mess with the guide rod personally. Mag release changed out to Vickers is standard for me (Gen 3 and 4, but the Gen 4 Vickers is really a more noticeable improvement). Other than that and some good night sights (Trijicon HD's or Ameriglo Spartan Tacticals are my choice), I pretty much keep them stock. Buy a bunch of OEM mags and you are good to go.

This. Get some good sights if they're the Glock factory plastic ones (which will self-remove if you don't do it first), more magazines, and ammo. If you prefer a smooth trigger, get a trigger/trigger bar assembly from a G17.

I hate to be that guy, but all that gun needs is ammunition to make it run. While I completely understand the want to upgrade everything on firearms (I love tinkering), most people's money is better spent on training and shooting more. I have guns I buy specifically to tinker with, but my carry guns stay stock.

Top Bottom