• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I just got a 1911 A1 loaded, which I like as-is, but I think I would like to find grips for it that have a kind of flattened spot somewhere for my thumb. The CZ-75B has a flattened spot on the top of the grips and I really like it, it makes it very easy to get a high grip. I googled and looked at a bunch of 1911 grips but I didn't see anything like what I'm looking for. I suppose I could buy plastic and try sanding but I prefer the look of wood grips with stainless and I'm picky about what it looks like.

You can see the flattened spot at the top of the CZ's grip in the photo here: CZ-USA CZ 75 B ? Convertible (Omega) - CZ-USA

This is what I have: 1911 Loaded .45ACP Handgun | Top Custom Pistols for Sale

I saw these "recover" "grip and rail systems" that look like they have a flattened spot lower down, but I have never heard of them before, they limit holster options, and they're not exactly ridiculously good looking on the gun I have: https://www.recovertactical.com/products/cc3h-1911-grips-and-rail-system?variant=35298964743

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't think this is exactly what you're looking for but would they work?

I've got this shop on my Facebook feed and they have some absolutely beautiful grips.

Treatments

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Buy hers....

DSC00523_large.JPG

About Us ? Exotic Grips by Esmeralda

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If I could make a suggestion, I would use the thumb safety as your "thumb rest" combined with the top of your support hand thumb. Check out YouTube on 1911 grip and you'll find that most professional and competition shooters use this sort of grip.

ToddJarrettUSPSASteelChallenge.JPG

70b9b3d3f642b83a5d796399a60b64f9.jpg

Going further, I personally prefer slimline grips as they provide for a better grip with my small hands. I used slimline Alumagrips for years, then switched to slimline VZ OperatorII's (a very aggressive cut grip.)

Last edited:

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    If I could make a suggestion, I would use the thumb safety as your "thumb rest" combined with the top of your support hand thumb. Check out YouTube on 1911 grip and you'll find that most professional and competition shooters use this sort of grip.

Going further, I personally prefer slimline grips as they provide for a better grip with my small hands. I used slimline Alumagrips for years, then switched to slimline VZ OperatorII's (a very aggressive cut grip.)

Thanks, I'll look that up and try it out.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks, I'll look that up and try it out.

To expand on what BW said - in the photo you linked of the CZ pistol, that "flattened" spot on the top of the left grip is not a thumb rest. (It's more likely to give room for the safety to come down). In a good two-handed grip, your RH thumb (assuming you're right-handed) should be higher, and shouldn't be anywhere near that flattened spot you see on the CZ photo.

And I highly recommend VZ grips. I have them on my 1911 and they are great. "LOK" grips appears to be the same type of thing at a slightly lower price point, but I have not tried them yet.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    To expand on what BW said - in the photo you linked of the CZ pistol, that "flattened" spot on the top of the left grip is not a thumb rest. (It's more likely to give room for the safety to come down). In a good two-handed grip, your RH thumb (assuming you're right-handed) should be higher, and shouldn't be anywhere near that flattened spot you see on the CZ photo.

And I highly recommend VZ grips. I have them on my 1911 and they are great. "LOK" grips appears to be the same type of thing at a slightly lower price point, but I have not tried them yet.

I agree with Twangbanger and bwframe, thumbs high grip with the right thumb on the safety is the best way to shoot with a 1911. It will likely feel uncomfortable at first, but keep using it and you'll get used to it. Once you do you'll have a very secure grip and it will allow you to choose any grips you want. Personally, as mentioned, I like VZ grips as well. I have a set of Operator IIs on my Loaded:

Loaded%20with%20VZ%20Grips_zpsgailyhqm.jpg

Second pic you can see the thumbscoop I like on mine:

Range%20Ready_zpsnf3ic6z2.jpg

I've even gone as far as using grips with a "superscoop" type of cut out for the thumb, which I like even better (showing a set of magpul's as an example on my Sig 1911):

HD%20New_zps36orvywm.jpg

The VZ Operator IIs are great on the Loaded, especiaily since it doesn't have front strap checkering. They are very aggressive, but because of that they stay secure in your grip. I can use the less aggressive magpul grips on my Sig 1911, as it does have very nice front strap checkering to keep the grip secure, even though the grips are almost smooth. The VZs are pretty expensive at ~$75, but if you look around you can find them lower used. I think buying grips is one of the best things about 1911s as a new set of grips can really change the look and feel of the gun. Good luck finding something you enjoy!

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I gave it a try and put my thumb on top of the safety in the 1911 and it feels pretty good. I haven't made it to the range yet to try it out shooting, but it feels like it will work. The safety does the same thing for me that the "thumb rest" does on the CZ. Thank you for the help, I may try the VZ grips. The thumb divots and things on some of the VZ's don't work out that well for me since I'm left handed, but shoot with either hand, and I keep everything ambidextrous or (right-handed if I can still work the gun left-handed).

Thumb above the safety:

Below the safety:

So, I have no problem getting my thumb higher on the 1911, or on some other guns, but on the CZ, that flattened spot is where my thumb goes. The flattened spot on the CZ-75B grip is the highest spot that I can physically reach with my thumb, especially shooting it right-handed where the safety gets in the way. Having it there reminds my thumb not to drift lower. I have worked on my bad grip issues a lot and I have tried harder to get my thumb higher on this gun and on others, but it's just...where my thumb reaches, if I want to shoot two-handed (which I do). My husband and I have had this conversation at the range multiple times, with him telling me to just move my hands a certain way, and me telling him they just don't bend or don't reach that way...I think until I had him take these photos he didn't understand exactly why I have been telling him that I absolutely cannot get my thumb higher on certain guns.

The CZ is just very different from the 1911 and there's literally physically no way that I can get a two-handed grip on the gun if my thumb is higher than that "thumb rest." I'm not going to complain about it even if it looks wrong, because on a good day I can shoot a 3-inch group with the CZ.

Right-handed, my thumb on the conveniently located flattened area which is the perfect spot and size and shape for my thumb (my husband says this grip looks horrible, by the way, but admits that it results in very nice accuracy:

It looks better left-handed because the safety is not in the way of my thumb so I can get it higher. Strangely, I almost always shoot better right-handed even though I'm left-handed and very left-eyed, and the grip looks uglier RH vs. LH:

And this is unfortunately what happens if I move my thumb above the thumb rest, a big gap in between my hands, which does not work at all. This is the RH shot but it looks the same LH if I move my thumb that high:

If I move my hands so that they meet, I have to move my fingers so that they're cupping around the trigger guard, which doesn't work, and even then it doesn't feel like my hands are fitting snuggly:

My hands are basically on the big side of a women's medium, this is next to my husband's hands on the CZ:

No one would ever accuse me of having tiny hands, but as you can see, it is what it is. I can get my thumb high on some guns, on others it just doesn't work.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I gave it a try and put my thumb on top of the safety in the 1911 and it feels pretty good. I haven't made it to the range yet to try it out shooting, but it feels like it will work. The safety does the same thing for me that the "thumb rest" does on the CZ. Thank you for the help, I may try the VZ grips. The thumb divots and things on some of the VZ's don't work out that well for me since I'm left handed, but shoot with either hand, and I keep everything ambidextrous or (right-handed if I can still work the gun left-handed).

Thumb above the safety:

Below the safety:

So, I have no problem getting my thumb higher on the 1911, or on some other guns, but on the CZ, that flattened spot is where my thumb goes. The flattened spot on the CZ-75B grip is the highest spot that I can physically reach with my thumb, especially shooting it right-handed where the safety gets in the way. Having it there reminds my thumb not to drift lower. I have worked on my bad grip issues a lot and I have tried harder to get my thumb higher on this gun and on others, but it's just...where my thumb reaches, if I want to shoot two-handed (which I do). My husband and I have had this conversation at the range multiple times, with him telling me to just move my hands a certain way, and me telling him they just don't bend or don't reach that way...I think until I had him take these photos he didn't understand exactly why I have been telling him that I absolutely cannot get my thumb higher on certain guns.

The CZ is just very different from the 1911 and there's literally physically no way that I can get a two-handed grip on the gun if my thumb is higher than that "thumb rest." I'm not going to complain about it even if it looks wrong, because on a good day I can shoot a 3-inch group with the CZ.

Right-handed, my thumb on the conveniently located flattened area which is the perfect spot and size and shape for my thumb (my husband says this grip looks horrible, by the way, but admits that it results in very nice accuracy:

It looks better left-handed because the safety is not in the way of my thumb so I can get it higher. Strangely, I almost always shoot better right-handed even though I'm left-handed and very left-eyed, and the grip looks uglier RH vs. LH:

And this is unfortunately what happens if I move my thumb above the thumb rest, a big gap in between my hands, which does not work at all. This is the RH shot but it looks the same LH if I move my thumb that high:

If I move my hands so that they meet, I have to move my fingers so that they're cupping around the trigger guard, which doesn't work, and even then it doesn't feel like my hands are fitting snuggly:

My hands are basically on the big side of a women's medium, this is next to my husband's hands on the CZ:

No one would ever accuse me of having tiny hands, but as you can see, it is what it is. I can get my thumb high on some guns, on others it just doesn't work.

That's a very good series of photos. No one would ever accuse you of not studying the problem in detail, either! You seem to be going about it very analytically.

So I'm curious: what is it that doesn't "work" about moving your support hand farther up, and "cupping" the trigger guard? My hand-position on the CZ actually looks somewhat similar to yours (my support thumb ends up higher than on other guns), but I want to see what your answer is before misjudging the situation (I can't see the length of your fingers in those photos, so I'm wondering if you have "big" hands/palms, but maybe the finger length is not fully proportional to it).

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I've tried cupping the trigger guard on the CZ and several others and I can't hit the broad side of a barn that way. Maybe I don't have the wrist strength to do it, I don't know. My wrists are tiny, I can wear children's watches. I think there's no meat there to do any cheating with, I have to rely on form that puts the force through the strongest part of my hands/wrists/forearms.

I think my palms and fingers are proportional, seems like they're pretty standard based on buying gloves. Besides just not getting the grip high enough, I have had more grip issues with me reaching and jerking the trigger, or limp wristing, because of reaching my trigger finger too far forward and leaving the handle of the gun too much on my thumb, which doesn't have enough strength and ends up limp wristing the gun. I didn't even realize how much I was doing that until I got a Glock 42 (seems to be sensitive to limp wristing) and realized my bad habit. This goes along with my support hand also needing to be in the right spot, I think. Whatever else, I think the force has to go through the strongest part possible?

I don't have these issues with the CZ, though, I feel like it fits my hand really well, despite the outward "ugliness" of my grip. I think that part of it might be that the CZ slide sits inside the lower frame, so my thumb is actually closer to the bottom of the slide rail than it appears.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd suggest contacting Coach at Bright Firearms Training. A few hours in a class or private session can really really help to get you on the right path with your grip and everything surrounding it. Money invested in the training can actually save you a lot in throwing $ at equipment and ammo attempting to get to the next level. Take your husband, it'll be fun.

adcecil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    IMG_3076.jpg
    I will throw in a vote for the magpul grips.
    E bay around $17 and a set of black screws to match for around $10.
    I like how they feel. They are a bit thinner than the wood ones that came on the Springfield.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I've tried cupping the trigger guard on the CZ and several others and I can't hit the broad side of a barn that way. Maybe I don't have the wrist strength to do it, I don't know. My wrists are tiny, I can wear children's watches. I think there's no meat there to do any cheating with, I have to rely on form that puts the force through the strongest part of my hands/wrists/forearms.

I think my palms and fingers are proportional, seems like they're pretty standard based on buying gloves. Besides just not getting the grip high enough, I have had more grip issues with me reaching and jerking the trigger, or limp wristing, because of reaching my trigger finger too far forward and leaving the handle of the gun too much on my thumb, which doesn't have enough strength and ends up limp wristing the gun. I didn't even realize how much I was doing that until I got a Glock 42 (seems to be sensitive to limp wristing) and realized my bad habit. This goes along with my support hand also needing to be in the right spot, I think. Whatever else, I think the force has to go through the strongest part possible?

I don't have these issues with the CZ, though, I feel like it fits my hand really well, despite the outward "ugliness" of my grip. I think that part of it might be that the CZ slide sits inside the lower frame, so my thumb is actually closer to the bottom of the slide rail than it appears.

It will be interesting to hear how you shoot that 1911 (since it sounds like you haven't tried it yet). That, and the CZ, are both quite heavy as pistols go. Gun weight has a way of cleaning up a lot of problems in pistol shooting. Plus the 1911 has the advantage of a thinner grip, and an ever better trigger, with much less movement in it. It's very possible from the photos that this will get your hand/trigger alignment issues improved, and you could shoot that gun like a house on fire. (It's too bad that 9mm 1911s didn't achieve widespread popularity sooner; I really think they would have helped a lot of people shoot better vs. what they started with). Ideally you want to fix any technique problems, but sometimes the first handgun you find that you hit really well with, has a way of opening up doors to better technique for you that you just couldn't find with other guns.

Get the softest .45 ammo you can find and please report back on the 1911, that is a nice toy.

Last edited:

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I shot it as-is before asking about changing the grips, it was a lot of fun. I rented a plain A1 model before buying too - I could tell enough from shooting it that I'd enjoy the A1 Loaded. The A1 Loaded feels super tight in comparison to the one I rented, I'm guessing it will loosen up in time, but it was fine and I had no problems shooting it. The trigger on the Loaded fits my finger better, the trigger on the basic model pinched my trigger finger a little, no matter which hand I shot with. I couldn't get a tight grouping with either one of the A1's (mine or the one I first rented), but after working with it a bit I managed to get all 7 rounds into a plate-sized grouping once. My husband got tight groupings out of it with no problem, he likes it a lot but keeps teasing me about getting one with a right-hand only safety (due to the weight of the gun and the beavertail size I can't work the right-hand safety with my left hand on this particular gun).

The recoil is easy for a .45. There are very few .45's that I'm willing to shoot for more than maybe 6-7 rounds, but I could shoot this all day. I'd like to be able to get the tight grouping I can get with the CZ, I'm looking forward to trying it with my thumb up on the safety. I have enough 9mm, especially with the CZ, I'm happy I got this in .45. I got it for range fun and home defense, I think it will do the job nicely.

Top Bottom