• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    Got some Christmas money and looking at getting something new. I currently have a Glock 19 and A Ruger SR9c that is my daily carry.

I'm looking at getting either a Sig p320 RX or a Ruger 1911 Lightweight in 9mm.

The Sig would be a great gun to run at the ran where we run courses but the 1911 is well...a 1911. I like the idea of the 1911 to give me another EDC. and yes at this time I would like to keep it in a 9.

I have never shot either of these but have heard great things about them both

Any thoughts or other suggestion would be awesome. I'm looking at keeping it around $800.

Thanks

Squatz24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Muncie
    I had a P320 compact (not RX) that I ended up trading to get a 1911. The 320 was a good shooter but mags are really expensive. More parts and holster options for the 1911.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    EDC = Every Day Carry. Not sure why you'd want to rotate through completely different platforms for defensive use.

If you want a range toy, it depends on if you want to play with. A red dot for new-school cool or a 1911 for old school cool. Personally, I'm not a fan of 9mm 1911s because traditions and voodoo, so I'd lean toward the Sig...but my idea of fun is irrelevant to you.

rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    i own both. for a range toy and something pretty the 1911. For something you might actaully carry and use the P320 all day long. Its a great shooter. Btw skip the red dot and learn to use real sights lol.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Of those two pistols, I would get the Sig. I haven't fired the Ruger, but have read some negative comments here and elsewhere on them.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Of those two pistols, I would get the Sig. I haven't fired the Ruger, but have read some negative comments here and elsewhere on them.

I have my eye on the New Ruger 9mm as well. It is a want not a need so I am waiting to see if Talo comes out with a Night Watchman version of it all black and night sights.

Now on to the Light Weight CMD in 45 acp I have one It has been flawless out of the box. The only thing I have changed are Grips.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If $800 is the price point you can get into a Springfield Range Officer , or a Colt Competiton Pistol which IMHO are allot better guns than Ruger will ever make.

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    Thanks for all the feedback. This hasn't made my decision any easier. lol
    As for the use of the red dot. True, iron sights are the way to go but was just looking for something different and I can always move the dot to a rifle. I think I'm leaning towards the 1911...I think. ;)

Still going to ponder this so any feedback is welcome.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Of the you 2 options you've listed, I personally would opt for the Sig 320 RX. Now either would be fine as long as neither would be in your EDC rotation. I wouldn't EDC the sig cause it's a full size gun with a RDS. It would take a little more to dress around it (I don't OC). And I personally would never EDC a 9mm 1911. Buy either for range guns and stick with the G19 for EDC. They're simple, easy to conceal and just plain work.

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    Of the you 2 options you've listed, I personally would opt for the Sig 320 RX. Now either would be fine as long as neither would be in your EDC rotation. I wouldn't EDC the sig cause it's a full size gun with a RDS. It would take a little more to dress around it (I don't OC). And I personally would never EDC a 9mm 1911. Buy either for range guns and stick with the G19 for EDC. They're simple, easy to conceal and just plain work.

Thanks. I'm probably going to stick with my Ruger SP9c for a EDC. I Like the trigger, used to the safety and like the size. I wouldn't EDC the Sig because of the size but the lighter commander 1911 could be an option. The safety works about the same as the SR9c. Why wouldn't you EDC the 1911?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Thanks. I'm probably going to stick with my Ruger SP9c for a EDC. I Like the trigger, used to the safety and like the size. I wouldn't EDC the Sig because of the size but the lighter commander 1911 could be an option. The safety works about the same as the SR9c. Why wouldn't you EDC the 1911?

The better question is why would I? The 1911 has known mag issues with 9mm. The platform was designed for 45. Now granted I think that the engineers have developed more reliable mags for the 9mm in the 1911 but the bigger issue is size and weight and capacity. I carry a G19. It's lighter, takes up less real estate and holds almost twice the ammo.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    A Sig 1911 was my first thought also. But then I thought, have you handled either one yet? If so, which one did YOU like better? To Hades with what we all say. Which one feels the best in your hand?

Top Bottom