• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    I decided to take my SA 1911 WWII model out to the range today... You know, the Mil Spec looking A1 model... Boy did it impress me today! (I would have taken a pic of the target but it was Shredded) I hadn't shot it in a LONG TIME! But it has RE-IGNITED the 1911 Fire! :rockwoot:

I shot it better than anything else I own!

I think it is high time to fully consider a 1911 Carry Gun!

What models would you recommend?

I like the SA Loaded Operator and the Range Officer Operators for price point comparison. Is there another SOLID recommendation in that range?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I decided to take my SA 1911 WWII model out to the range today... You know, the Mil Spec looking A1 model... Boy did it impress me today! (I would have taken a pic of the target but it was Shredded) I hadn't shot it in a LONG TIME! But it has RE-IGNITED the 1911 Fire! :rockwoot:

I shot it better than anything else I own!

I think it is high time to fully consider a 1911 Carry Gun!

What models would you recommend?

I like the SA Loaded Operator and the Range Officer Operators for price point comparison. Is there another SOLID recommendation in that range?

Was going to say Professional until I looked back and notice price point....Ruger 1911 they have many flavors to suit a wide variety of taste.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Dance with who brung ya.
    That design has been around a day or so and I'll say it's solid.
    I carried a mil spec 1911 for about 30+ years. It still shoots great without all the modifications and super parts replacements.
    My only issue with that configuration is the hammer profile. It will grab clothing so clothing choices have to be considered.
    There are unlimited 1911 options to choose from.
    I like the bobbed hammer and smooth, rounded sights for carry but none of this is really necessary.
    It ain't the tool.... it's the mechanic.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Was going to say Professional until I looked back and notice price point....Ruger 1911 they have many flavors to suit a wide variety of taste.

I have not considered the Professional yet. I wasnt sure that I needed that "Level". I will compare the Professional and the Loaded. I am guessing the differences are mainly MIM vs Forged small parts.

Thanks for the input!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have not considered the Professional yet. I wasnt sure that I needed that "Level". I will compare the Professional and the Loaded. I am guessing the differences are mainly MIM vs Forged small parts.

Thanks for the input!

I'm NOT a fan of MIM at all... BUT....Most people will never wear out MIM. UNLESS you're planning on shooting 5,000?? rounds or more I wouldn't even worry about it.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

Thanks for the input!

Another consideration would be the TRP. The difference is also a lot of quality oversight by a skilled craftsman.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    At the same price point as the Range Officer line, I always suggest the Colt Competition Pistols they really are fantastic values currently. If you want to move up into the 1500 or so price point consider the Springfield TRP line, Dan Wesson pistols and the Colt Special Unit Rail Gun

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Dance with who brung ya.
    That design has been around a day or so and I'll say it's solid.
    I carried a mil spec 1911 for about 30+ years. It still shoots great without all the modifications and super parts replacements.
    My only issue with that configuration is the hammer profile. It will grab clothing so clothing choices have to be considered.
    There are unlimited 1911 options to choose from.
    I like the bobbed hammer and smooth, rounded sights for carry but none of this is really necessary.
    It ain't the tool.... it's the mechanic.

I agree with you on this! If this model had a beaver tail on, I would probably be using it more. I shot 150rds and the smallish grip safety started to cut my hand. I may, just may try to work in a Beaver Tail on this one. I just dont want to end up with a "Bubba'ed Up" gun/frame if I make a mistake. If I had the watchful eye of someone competent, and some good tools, I wouldnt hesitate.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I agree with you on this! If this model had a beaver tail on, I would probably be using it more. I shot 150rds and the smallish grip safety started to cut my hand. I may, just may try to work in a Beaver Tail on this one. I just dont want to end up with a "Bubba'ed Up" gun/frame if I make a mistake. If I had the watchful eye of someone competent, and some good tools, I wouldnt hesitate.

Get ahold of Allen M at Diamond Collision. He's got a very nice skill set on this type of repair. He's also very reasonable.

http://www.diamond-collision.com/

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    I did contact him. We had a great discussion on this. I may have another discussion with him. We kind of concluded that this particular gun may (or may not) be worth the investment of time/$$ upgrading as it is. Therefore I am kind of looking at a new gun and keeping this one plain jane.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    If you save more money buy urself a Dan Wesson. As long as you're buying 1911's ur alright in my book.

I know its not supposed to be like this but I'm a 1911 and Glock guy. I like things that work!!

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Save your money, around $1000.00, and buy,

Wait for it .....

S&W 1911 E series .....

x2, completely agree with ^^^ this! If you want to stay with 45 ACP, the E Series is a spectacular choice IMHO. I had a Dan Wesson V-Bob for a while, but I never quite bonded with it, and eventually sold it. Later, I traded for a S&W SC-E 1911 commander (with the round butt), and have been nothing but extremely happy with it.

Last edited:

adcecil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I carry a Springfield loaded stainless. It isn't the cheapest but it is an excellent gun. Great slide to frame figment and amongst other features it has extended ambidextrous safety. Their line of 1911's are all great in my opinion.
    I also have a Taurus 1911. I know there is a love / hate with people and Taurus but in my opinion the 1911 is an excellent example. It comes with a host of features that other manufacturers put on their top of the line guns at a very affordable price.
    if you are planning on carrying it than it is a perfect choice. One isn't dinging up a $$$$ weapon but it comes with those features

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Top Bottom