• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have been planning to get a new P226 Legion SAO here in early February with my yearly bonus check, but when I was at my local LGS, I saw that they have TWO *used* Sig P226 Tacops units for sale, and I became intrigued with buying one of these rather than the Legion to maybe save a little money. I mentioned some of this in another thread about the Sig Legion, but though I had better start a new thread so as not to dilute the other one.

One of the guns is a bit older, and is made in Germany. It does not have the large beaver tail like the newer units do, it has standard night sights and standard trigger. They are asking $759 for this gun.

The other one is a newer model with the large beaver tail and the fiber optic front sight along with a threaded barrel and a SRT. Made in the US. Asking $900.

I stripped both units down, and they look to be in EXCELLENT shape.

These are DA/SA units, so slightly different than the SAO Legion I was looking at, but both are nice guns for sure.

Questions:

-Is the German-made model preferable for any reason over the US-made model?
    -Are there any "gotchas" to look out for with the older design?
    -How do these prices look to you?

Thanks in advance!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, if it's a long term purchase then maintenance items may become a concern. If the older one is an internal extractor slide, those aren't in production any longer and at some point maintenance parts may dry up. The internal extractor is more difficult to maintain, and since it's a "legacy" system, parts can be harder to find.

Otherwise, whichever floats your boat. Do you want a beavertail? Threaded barrel? That seems like more pressing questions as to which to get.

CDNN just sent out a sale email:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-p226-e2-9mm.html $769 for a new Nitron.
    or a P229 extreme for same money: https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-229-extreme-9mm.html

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That cdnn email is seriously breaking my balls. That p229 extreme is begging me everytime I look at the email.

Yup, that's a nice pistol. I'm not buying any new Sigs until we get issued the new Glock and I decide if I'm going to switch over or not...but yeah...temptation is real.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I had a 226 Tacops and now have a 226 Legion sao and in my opinion there is no comparison, the trigger alone makes a huge difference. When I purchased my 226 Legion sao I sold my 15 rdn mags and found a source for 20 rdn mags for $25.00 shipped and I can only tell you that my 226 Legion sao with 20 rdn mags is one heck of combat handgun.

Signess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2016
    Evansville
    You can't go wrong with a P226. I have a MK25 and a 226 SAO Legion. The Legion is an amazing gun. Like I said, can't go wrong with either but I would buy the Legion. I also have a Legion 229 and it's really awesome too.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    ^ what expat says!!!!!!!!! inspect all sig frame rails before you buy! and never buy a sig that's been cera/dura coated or refinished! (unless its factory like the m11a1 or the 226mk25)

I found a browning bda 9 (a german sig 220,heel release, marked made by sig sauer, imported by browning, 9mm) for 450 or 500 bucks

BUT it had been refinished (frame was gray, slide was black) they originally came in a beautiful blue (yes they were blued not black like sig made, I read that browning said that their customers expected a higher quality finish than the factory black, so they order them blued)

so in no way, was I at the least bit interested in it, it would have made a great match to my bda45 then, all I would needed was the holy grail, unicorn, white whale the rare (300 imported) bda38 (38 super)

Top Bottom