• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SeeKing opinions on which custom shop 1911 I should buy. I am looking at nighthawk, Ed brown, Les baer, and Wilson combat and possibly republic forge but I know nothing about them. I am looking for commander size or a full size 5 inch gun. right now I have personal experience with my dad's old 70 series colt , 2 springfield from the late 90 s and a SA custom shop professional
    operator. This gun I am thinking about will not be an engraved dressed up barbecue pistol it is more of a fuctional beauty I am looking for. Thanks for any opinions or experiences u wish to share.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I will 3rd the Wilson as I love mine. I also like Baer's but if pure beauty is want you want it hard to beat Wilson. The Baer is more of a shooter than a looker but amazing in the accuracy department. Ed Browns are nice but I've heard customer service with them is less than stellar.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    How much would a build from AllenM at diamond collision cost? You may check in with him.

Otherwise, IMHO, and I'm no expert, Wilson>Baer, and those are the two I'd look at if I were in your price range. Just depends if you want to be over or under $2k. Both will be shooters.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How much would a build from AllenM at diamond collision cost? You may check in with him.

Otherwise, IMHO, and I'm no expert, Wilson>Baer, and those are the two I'd look at if I were in your price range. Just depends if you want to be over or under $2k. Both will be shooters.

I have 3 of AllenM's builds.
    Cost depends on what you want done.
    All 3 of mine I like far better than about anything I could buy.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I called allenm today and we spoke for about 25 minutes. with a proper platform to start on he said about 1000.00 will get me pretty much everything I want done. I have two springfields loaded 1911 pistols that may be on their way to him soon. He seems to be held in high regard on here so I believe I will go with him for this project and wait on the brown or nighthawk I had been thinking g about.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I called allenm today and we spoke for about 25 minutes. with a proper platform to start on he said about 1000.00 will get me pretty much everything I want done. I have two springfields loaded 1911 pistols that may be on their way to him soon. He seems to be held in high regard on here so I believe I will go with him for this project and wait on the brown or nighthawk I had been thinking g about.

Just want to say from my experiences with Allen......if you let him build/modify your gun and listen to his suggestions you may not go out and buy the Wilson or Baer you have been looking at. He has done some great things with and for me.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    With that kind of a budget, go for a full-custom build. You will have exactly what you want and done they way you like it.

Andy Cree

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm not a 1911 guy but I agree, I'd seriously discuss with Allen if I were going to dip my toe in those waters again, and had some budget to go custom, especially if I was going to shoot it/carry it, etc. Just not sure I could carry around a $4k WC.

If you want to check out some Wilson's in person, the Indiana Gun Club is supposed to have a good selection of Wilson's, and if their inventory is up to date on their site, it looks like they do:

Indiana Gun Club :: Inventory :: Guns For Sale

Also has Les Baer's, Nighthawk, etc

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I also have three AllenM 1911s... I just finished cleaning them from the last range trip. My first was a 5" for punching paper, second was a Carry-comp 45 that is a masterpiece, and the last was a 9mm commander that is a absolute pleasure to shoot. If you already have a base gun, a build to get what you want is well in your budget. My carry comp was a dream build. I took Allen a picture and said I want one of these. He did a lot of reverse engineering to make it happen. He is my go to guy for 1911s and soon 2011s.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I also have three AllenM 1911s... I just finished cleaning them from the last range trip. My first was a 5" for punching paper, second was a Carry-comp 45 that is a masterpiece, and the last was a 9mm commander that is a absolute pleasure to shoot. If you already have a base gun, a build to get what you want is well in your budget. My carry comp was a dream build. I took Allen a picture and said I want one of these. He did a lot of reverse engineering to make it happen. He is my go to guy for 1911s and soon 2011s.

:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Could someone post some pictures of Allenm's 1911 builds? Please, I always can appreciate good work. Thanks

Sure.
    This is the Fusion custom I just got back from him. It is a 10mm.
    He built it and I had him do the Bronze on it and port the Hybrid barrel.

This is the 2011 in 10mm he built for me. Not the best pic. Does not do it justus. 6" with the Hybrid barrel.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    CM, we need to set you up with a professional photographer to capture the true beauty of your 2011. Thing is drop dead sexy in person and an even better shooter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM, we need to set you up with a professional photographer to capture the true beauty of your 2011. Thing is drop dead sexy in person and an even better shooter.

That was a cell pic Allen sent me before it was done completely.
    I need to take some time and get some good pics.

Top Bottom