How long do you leave your gun "charged"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Voldemort

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indiana
    After reading an article on how it is not a good idea to keep emptying and reloading the same round in your gun due damage and setback, I wonder if its ok to leave a striker fire pistol charged for a long time. I always unload when I come home then put round back in mag for next time.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    After reading an article on how it is not a good idea to keep emptying and reloading the same round in your gun due damage and setback, I wonder if its ok to leave a striker fire pistol charged for a long time. I always unload when I come home then put round back in mag for next time.

My nightstand gun has had the same round chambered for 5-6 years.....But, it does have a hammer.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I seriously doubt it is much of any issue except in a gun rag. have you ever tried to pull a bullet on a modern factory CF pistol round? Good luck. Now, on an AR-15 or similar, I absolutely WOULD change rounds.

Primer dots become dimples become dents become...craters in the asphalt. The only way around it wiht an AR is to drop one in the chamber, close it gently, and use the FA to ensure the bolt is in battery. Works, but not foolproof either. Pin still floats.

But why do you unload?

Stop that, and then you don't have to worry about chambering in the morning. Handle it safely everywhere, and store it either in the safe or in...wherever you feel is best...in your home. Bad things happen at home too.

-Nate

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I go to the range at least once a month other than that always chambered. My bedside SD has bee chambered for months at a time. I have never noticed any concerning issues either way.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The only guns I leave loaded are my carry pieces. They stay loaded even when I take them to the range as the first round I shoot at the range is the chambered round. Helps me sleep better at night knowing my self defense ammunition always works and is relatively fresh.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A lot of mine stay loaded for months on end. You do have to watch the rounds though as I've had a fair number get setback from chambering. Seems to happen most with Golden Sabers and Gold Dots.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I only unload if there is a good reason to. The less you screw with it the less likely it is for something to go wrong.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    It's not a non-issue. Re-chambering the same round over and over can cause significant setback. I agree on just leaving it loaded.

Anyone doubts this, load some ammo except leave out the powder & primer, practice slide lock reloads. In order to make the dummy rounds last longer I have played with different bullets and crimp & even superglue & have not found anything that will not set back.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's not a non-issue. Re-chambering the same round over and over can cause significant setback.

This.

Some combinations of guns and ammunition are better than others. I am aware of some pretty well controlled testing, but the results are proprietary. Chamber dimensions, slide velocity, feed ramp angle, etc. all make a difference in how many times "too many" is.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    after I purchased a Glock 17 from a pawn shop. they closed Kingsbury range.
    Being new here and working 12 hrs a day.
    That was the only range I knew.
    MY Glock sat in my drawer for about 2 years.
    The next time I fired it I had a bunch of NO FIRES.
    I was not aware of any warranty by Glock.
    I sold it.
    That is whey I will not own a striker fired handgun.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    after I purchased a Glock 17 from a pawn shop. they closed Kingsbury range.
    Being new here and working 12 hrs a day.
    That was the only range I knew.
    MY Glock sat in my drawer for about 2 years.
    The next time I fired it I had a bunch of NO FIRES.
    I was not aware of any warranty by Glock.
    I sold it.
    That is whey I will not own a striker fired handgun.

Dust bunnies probably made a home in the striker channel

Top Bottom