Thinking of picking up an FNH FNS-9 Longslide, but I have one reservation....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you think FNH will release a "gen II" FNS-9 at Shot Show this year?

• Total voters

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I would wait. Somebody might come out with something cooler. (But then again, Sig talked about the 320 Target longslide a year ago...and never delivered).

It would be nice if the Shot Show functioned as less of a "trolling show" used to gauge interest (tweets, chats, etc.), and more of a place where exhibitors showed things that are actually in production and people can actually buy. Too often, I think companies that are "behind the curve" just use the show to pitch loosely worked-out concepts, in an attempt to prevent dealers / distributors from placing purchase orders for a competitor's already-released product.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I would wait. Somebody might come out with something cooler. (But then again, Sig talked about the 320 Target longslide a year ago...and never delivered).

It would be nice if the Shot Show functioned as less of a "trolling show" used to gauge interest (tweets, chats, etc.), and more of a place where exhibitors showed things that are actually in production and people can actually buy. Too often, I think companies that are "behind the curve" just use the show to pitch loosely worked-out concepts, in an attempt to prevent dealers / distributors from placing purchase orders for a competitor's already-released product.

Like CES, but with guns

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Seriously, though the FNPs came out in 2006 IIRC and the FNXs in late 2011/2012, so six years between models and I think the update was more aimed at getting a striker fired variant to market. I'm not aware of any new firearms developments that would need to be incorporated in this line as the striker mechanism works fine (I hear, I'm a hammer fired guy).

I would bet that the uncertainty of the election would not have encouraged manufacturers to invest much in new lines until they saw how things would shake out under whatever administration. I would guess it would be a couple more years before they update the FNX/FNS lines in any significant way. That being said, a specialty model like a long slide could come in for an early freshening to keep consumer interest higher

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Seriously, though the FNPs came out in 2006 IIRC and the FNXs in late 2011/2012, so six years between models and I think the update was more aimed at getting a striker fired variant to market. I'm not aware of any new firearms developments that would need to be incorporated in this line as the striker mechanism works fine (I hear, I'm a hammer fired guy).

I would bet that the uncertainty of the election would not have encouraged manufacturers to invest much in new lines until they saw how things would shake out under whatever administration. I would guess it would be a couple more years before they update the FNX/FNS lines in any significant way. That being said, a specialty model like a long slide could come in for an early freshening to keep consumer interest higher

Good analysis. Makes sense. As a side note, they already make a long slide. And I want it. :rockwoot:

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I highly doubt they will be updating them anytime soon. The next addition may be an FNS 9 Tactical, but rumors of that beast have been circulating for the last 12-18 months. I personally love my FNS 9L as it's a very smooth shooting striker. Yet I find myself shooting the FNX 45T more.

Come to Indy sometime and I'll bring the FNX 45T, FNP 45, FNP 9, FNS 9L and FNS 9C. If all goes well, an FNX 9 too.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    jake, I didn't know you were a fellow fnh fan :yesway: :ingo:

ETA: Kut, my use of the word 'fellow' in this post is to indicate inclusion and in no way is meant to denigrate the poster's age (or lack thereof)

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    jake, I didn't know you were a fellow fnh fan :yesway: :ingo:

ETA: Kut, my use of the word 'fellow' in this post is to indicate inclusion and in no way is meant to denigrate the poster's age (or lack thereof)

Love the FNH goodness. I held a nice SLP shotgun yesterday and it's slowly making its way on the list of goodness I must have. I just didn't like the $1,000 used price.

I still primarily carry a G17 for the ability to share mags with the wife and carbines, but the FN's get a lot of range work too.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I highly doubt they will be updating them anytime soon. The next addition may be an FNS 9 Tactical, but rumors of that beast have been circulating for the last 12-18 months. I personally love my FNS 9L as it's a very smooth shooting striker. Yet I find myself shooting the FNX 45T more.

Come to Indy sometime and I'll bring the FNX 45T, FNP 45, FNP 9, FNS 9L and FNS 9C. If all goes well, an FNX 9 too.
    Oh man that's awesome! That would be a trip for me, but thanks for the offer!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We should have an FNH shoot this Spring. Are there any good outdoor public ranges in or near Columbus?

If you mean Columbus, Oh yeah there is a very nice one about 30 miles North near Delaware, Oh (Delaware Wildlife Area Shooting Range 40.432434,-83.049694) but it is undergoing a major renovation this spring and will be closed most of the season

It will be twice the awesome when it re-opens but closed until at least mid-summer. There are one or two more farther south and east but have only been to one of them and it was, meh

Central Ohio is also short on private ranges/clubs. We're lightyears behind Indiana in being firearms friendly. A lot of private clubs up around Cleveland and btw Cleveland and Toledo but way out of the way.

We could 'shoot' for late summer. I have some of what you have and can also add a couple of FNP 40s to the mix

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    They have a 2017 catalog out and the only new FNS is an FDE compact so unless they have some hidden surprises at SHOT you're probably safe in buying a current gun.

courier6

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Indiana
    FN moves at the speed of a turtle, that and the FNS isn't their most popular product. It's a good gun and it really doesn't need much improvement. Plus the polymer 9mm market is a very crowded space. You are safe buying a current model, just ask the people still waiting for the SCAR20.

Top Bottom