• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    when firing the slide locks back and does not go forward. This is not caused by activating the slide stop accidentally as the back of the gun can be slapped and it goes back into battery. The gun is hanging up with rounds in the mag and its not caused by the slide stop. It is simply getting stuck.

Major fail for smith and wesson as this is a performance center shield in 9mm. This was the first time shooting this shield as it was new. I had a problem with almost every magazine I ran through the gun. I have never had a problem of any kind with my other shield so I guess this POS is going back to the factory.

Edit for clarity of what is happening:

1) I load 5 rounds in the mag
    2) I fire one or two rounds and the slide simply "sticks" open.
    3) the slide stop is not causing this because you can firmly tap the back of the gun and it goes back into battery

I experienced this failure at least once with all but maybe 2-3 mags out of 100 rounds.

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Guess I'm not understanding what's occurring. When the slide reciprocates it's supposed to go back forward. Are you saying the slide is locking open with rounds still in the mag?

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    yes that is correct. I am not sure how to describe it because I have never seen a gun do this.

So it goes like this.

1) I load 5 rounds in the mag
    2) I fire one or two rounds and the slide simply "sticks" open.
    3) the slide stop is not causing this because I can firmly tap the back of the gun and it goes back into battery

I experienced this failure at least once with all but maybe 2-3 mags out of 100 rounds.

Guess I'm not understanding what's occurring. When the slide reciprocates it's supposed to go back forward. Are you saying the slide is locking open with rounds still in the mag?

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    all magazine functioned flawlessly in my other shield. It is not a magazine issue.
    It does chamber the round and fires. It just does not cycle as the slide stops at the rear

Also the issue was duplicated with no magazine so something is out of spec with the firearm.

Does it chamber the next round when you push it foward?
    Do the magazines function in an other Shield?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    all magazine functioned flawlessly in my other shield. It is not a magazine issue.
    It does chamber the round and fires. It just does not cycle as the slide stops at the rear

Also the issue was duplicated with no magazine so something is out of spec with the firearm.

Yeah sounds like it. Sucks to pay a premium for what should be a better than stock Shield and it not even run.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Strip out the slide and work the empty slide on the frame. I'm guessing the back of the frame or rear of the slide is sticking.
    IF you look closely at both the slide and frame you'll see where it's hanging up. It might be as simple as polishing out the guides in the frame or slide.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    i compared the working shield with the defective shield and i cannot see a difference. I feel like smith and wesson should fix this- not me but I would like to be able to identify the issue.
    Strip out the slide and work the empty slide on the frame. I'm guessing the back of the frame or rear of the slide is sticking.
    IF you look closely at both the slide and frame you'll see where it's hanging up. It might be as simple as polishing out the guides in the frame or slide.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    500 rounds through it will fix this problem.
    Yes it will, I agree... but the OP should not be required to break in a polymer PC pistol. Hand cycling it with some Flitz on the rails would do the same thing without wasting ammo, but really, I would send it back to Smith unless you can't be without it. They'll make it right.

These are sweet little shooters... don't let this experience sour you on keeping it!

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

Nothing like $100 in ammo required to make a $350 gun run. :rolleyes:

First thing I did with my KelTec P3AT is rack the slide 200 times while watching TV. Then clean and lube. Same effect as a bunch of round in slide break in, for zero money. Never had an issue with it at the range.

Although something off enough to hold the slide back seems really wrong.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    true...i dont need practice with this gun. I bought a working gun and it doesnt work. why should i have to dump ammo into a gun that doesnt work to make it work? This is especially true when I have probably 500-750 through the other shield that is not a performance center. I am kind of pissed at s & w for letting this by the quality control. I have a shield already and i thought i was upgrading not downgrading. reliability gets a gun sold as far as im concerned so its a loss for me.
    Yes it will, I agree... but the OP should not be required to break in a polymer PC pistol. Hand cycling it with some Flitz on the rails would do the same thing without wasting ammo, but really, I would send it back to Smith unless you can't be without it. They'll make it right.

These are sweet little shooters... don't let this experience sour you on keeping it!

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    thats true...why would it hang up like that....could be a problem that I shouldnt have to figure out. I guess i will send it back.
    Nothing like $100 in ammo required to make a $350 gun run. :rolleyes:

First thing I did with my KelTec P3AT is rack the slide 200 times while watching TV. Then clean and lube. Same effect as a bunch of round in slide break in, for zero money. Never had an issue with it at the range.

Although something off enough to hold the slide back seems really wrong.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    also, why should i invest in a gun that I know has an issue right out of the box? I no longer want it but I have to send it back. Then I have to sell it for a loss and nobody is going to compensate me for that. So its bs and smith and wesson lost credibility with me with there "performance center" pistol that doesnt perform.

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    S&W customer service will take care of the issue and make it right. Give them a call Monday and they will send you an RMA plus prepaid shipping.

Sorry yours is having issues but that is not the norm.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I've seen this cause by a portion of the recoil spring being bent usually from reassembly without the recoil spring assembly being fully seated.

Top Bottom