• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I was eyeing up a Dan Wesson Commander A2 but I didn't read the fine print, limited to 200 so that's not going to happen.

My wish list is as many of the following that I can get.

Night Sights
    9mm
    Commander size
    Arched main spring or Bobtail
    GI style safety
    Suitable for OWB EDC

Budget $1300 or less.

Thoughts?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Your criteria severely limit the selection of available pistols , for $1500 you can get a stainless VBOB in 9mm that fits the bill perfectly because I am assuming you want a higher end 1911, and bobtails are only found on higher end guns and arched mainspring housings are only found on "GI Style" guns. My suggestion is to up the budget a couple hundered.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Your criteria severely limit the selection of available pistols , for $1500 you can get a stainless VBOB in 9mm that fits the bill perfectly because I am assuming you want a higher end 1911, and bobtails are only found on higher end guns and arched mainspring housings are only found on "GI Style" guns. My suggestion is to up the budget a couple hundered.

I know this might sound kind of stupid but my first Handgun was a 92G that is what I learned to shoot and for the most part I really like it and still have it. Looking at why I shoot it so well I determined it was largely due to the arch of the grip. So I tried a friends Bob tail. It was like I had been shooting it for years felt great.

So with that being said it doe not have to be a High End but it does have to be reliable and be suitable for its intended purpose. I have looked in on Springfield Armory's web site and looks like they have a brand new Emp Contour Carry which really looks promising. Only drawbacks are the fiber optic front sight and thin grips.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    BTW, the CZ 1911 is a series 70. Just sayin... :dunno:

You can sometimes feel a bit of a difference in the series 70 1911s. If it's a really well tuned trigger, there's certainly a difference but even on stock triggers, you can sometimes feel the lifter bar during pre-travel. Not that it's a big deal or adds much to the pull, but is there sometimes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    BTW, the CZ 1911 is a series 70. Just sayin... :dunno:

You can sometimes feel a bit of a difference in the series 70 1911s. If it's a really well tuned trigger, there's certainly a difference but even on stock triggers, you can sometimes feel the lifter bar during pre-travel. Not that it's a big deal or adds much to the pull, but is there sometimes.

Unless the extra parts involved in the full on Bravo Sierra 80 series parts get addressed it does add to the trigger break point.
    I hate them. I hate to work on them. I hate reassembling them. They serve no "Real" purpose.

Did I mention I hate them.....:cool:

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Unless the extra parts involve in the full on Bravo Sierra 80 series parts it does add to the trigger break point.
    I hate them. I hate to work on them. I hate reassembling them. They serve no "Real" purpose.

Did I mention I hate them.....:cool:

I agree series 80 is an abomination that Colt just needs to let die. That being said at this point unless OP is willing to either send off the gun to a gunsmith or up the budget I have nothing that I know of that will fit the original criteria for his search , now if OP is willing to go to a larger safety and a flat mainspring housing then options open back up.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Get the SA Range Officer 4" 9mm. If you shop around, you'll be at about $750. Then take the rest of the money and send it off (or to AllenM) for a bobtail job, cerakote, or whatever other work you want. But like others have said, if you are looking for a factory option in your price range with your desired features, it's unlikely that you will find one. Either bump up the budget, or buy a lower cost gun and upgrade.

Top Bottom