EDC replacement time... suggestions of things to look at.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Looks like I may be making some moves and my current EDC wil be moving on. While I am not a huge Taurus fan, this particular EDChas been fantastic. reliable, accurate(ish. it's a 3"bbl .45. I'm not taking down baddies at 25 yds with it) compact and light. Loved the 10 and 12+1 capacity.

Now, I am not asking what to buy. I won't make that recommendations to others as it's a personal choice and you need to find what fits you best. I just know that I can become a bit myopic when it comes to making choices on guns and cars. So I'm looking for suggestions on what I need to look into to fit my role. I'll likely be trading off/selling a parkerized M1911A1 Springer, so I'd like to stay around the $500 mark (plus or minus a little OK just not a $1200 1911 or $150 hi-point). requirements are:

MUST be .45acp. I've consolidated calibers to this. I don't feel like adding more.
    Must hold a minimum of 7 rounds.
    Must be lighter than my Springer Loaded. If not, I'll just carry that.
    Must be compact-ish. My locked storage in the car is small, so a 5" 1911 doesn't fit, but the compact 24/7 with the 12 rd mag does.
    Prefer thumb safeties. I know all the logic etc, but I've always carried with one and the act of thumbing off the safety is a natural reaction for me.
    No Glocks. Sorry, it's not that I'm a hater, they are fine guns. I just don't shoot them for **** and do not like the feel.

What I've carried in the past: 1991A1 compact, M1911A1, Springfield loaded, Star .40 (never again) and a Rossi .38spl. I like and am most comfortable with the 1911 platform, just not sure if a $400-500 compact 1911 is going to be as reliable as my Taurus (boy, that just sounds odd).

Thanks in advance!

P.S. So, I'd love a new Sig 227 Carry. It's the 900 price tag that gets me. Although, the thought of keeping the M1911A1 and trading/selling hte loaded is an idea.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    They're coming out with a Shield in .45, and in the past those have had a thumb safety option. Not sure on capacity, but it fits the rest of your requirements. Walther has the PPQ .45, but it has no thumb safety.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Going by your criteria I would agree with some of the above posters, a M&P compact or Shield with thumb safety. Why are you changing if you like you Taurus? Not that I would encourage anyone to use a Taurus as their EDC, just curious.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Too bad you're not in consideration of a Glock because I'd highly recommend my Glock 36...it's a 6+1 pistol that is incredibly accurate, light-to-carry, easy-to-conceal, .45 acp pistol...I've jumped around in the EDC market for several years but it's been my EDC since I got it in 2013...it just 'fits'...and I love it!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    1zlyivr.jpg

OR

23rttkx.jpg

I don't have the Shield 45, but will probably pick one up soon. The second pic is one of my EDC pistols, an M&P 45c. It holds 8+1 and weighs 33.7 ounces fully loaded with 9 rounds of Federal 230 grain HST .45 +P rounds. An empty Springer Loaded weighs 40 ounces. You are talking well over 1/2 lb weight difference between the 45c and a Springer Loaded when loaded with 8+1, and the 45c has the option of standard 10 round M&P 45 mags for carry or backup. Mine has been absolutely reliable, and is very comfortable and a natural pointer with a similar grip angle to a 1911. It is easy to conceal, has a lot of aftermarket sight options, and can be had with or without a thumb safety. It is one of my favorite pistols.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Do not buy a Kahr. I'd honestly rather carry a Taurus, and that's saying something. You know that other thread here on INGO that asks "Glock 43, does it get any better?" With my experience, I could start a thread titled "Kahr pistols, does it get any worse?" Honestly, I'd rather drive a 1990's Chrysler product AND carry a Taurus than to rely on a Kahr to protect me.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Too bad you're not in consideration of a Glock because I'd highly recommend my Glock 36...it's a 6+1 pistol that is incredibly accurate, light-to-carry, easy-to-conceal, .45 acp pistol...I've jumped around in the EDC market for several years but it's been my EDC since I got it in 2013...it just 'fits'...and I love it!
    That's how I feel about 1911's. Nothing ever feels as good in my hand.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Given your fondness of 1911 I would look at the Shield or Springfield XDs in .45. They will point about the same as a 1911 and both have either a grip or thumb safety. Plus they are slim. Otherwise just carry the 1911s.

You might consider a Ruger LW Commander. But you will have to up the budget to about $700.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Do not buy a Kahr. I'd honestly rather carry a Taurus, and that's saying something. You know that other thread here on INGO that asks "Glock 43, does it get any better?" With my experience, I could start a thread titled "Kahr pistols, does it get any worse?" Honestly, I'd rather drive a 1990's Chrysler product AND carry a Taurus than to rely on a Kahr to protect me.

The only problem I've ever had with a Kahr is one where the rear sight fell out, literally as I was inspecting it on the way home. The dealer swapped the slide for another and took the issue up with Kahr.

Top Bottom