• Total voters

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How many folks stick with the factory sights on their Glocks?

I am pretty particular about my handgun sights. I like a Amerglo Pro/Trijicon HD big orange dot sort of front sight with a black rear sight (10-8 preferably.)

In contemplating a backup Glock or two, I'm considering different sighting options for the additional guns. Inspired by Cedartop's commentary in this other thread, I'm thinking of pushing myself to use the factory sights.

I see lots of YouTubers making Glock shooting vids with factory sights. Wonder if it wouldn't be beneficial to be prepared to "push out" a handgun that isn't so specialized to me?

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    I thought about changing out the sights on my 19, but after shooting it and improving the trigger, I see no need to spend more money on something I don't need. If it ain't broke!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

I am pretty particular about my handgun sights. I like a Amerglo Pro/Trijicon HD big orange dot sort of front sight with a black rear sight (10-8 preferably.)

In contemplating a backup Glock or two, I'm considering different sighting options for the additional guns. Inspired by Cedartop's commentary in this other thread, I'm thinking of pushing myself to use the factory sights.

I see lots of YouTubers making Glock shooting vids with factory sights. Wonder if it wouldn't be beneficial to be prepared to "push out" a handgun that isn't so specialized to me?

I actually don't mind the factory sights and can use them pretty well. I never leave them on because they are plastic, and there are sights I like better. If you told me I couldn't have anything else, it wouldn't be a big deal. BTW, this should be a poll.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    I usually change them out for night sights, but not to just be getting rid of them. I have owned several different Glocks through the years. I have a 23 with night sights, but also a 22 that still has the factory sights. The 22 is in a bailout bag and I haven't spent the money to upgrade to nights sights yet.

Andy Cree

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

Too little trust in your ability to align the sights, any sights, and too much trust in equipment.

I bet if mid match I handed you a stock glock, you'd barely notice a difference in your performance... other than just having to work harder due to the horrid nature of the stock sights.

I shot half a season with stock sights on my limited glock even after I was plenty used to the good sights on my production glock. I had to work a little harder to align quickly and shot calling was a little harder... but training with them more wasn't going to make them better than better sights. yet, I still didn't become a fumbling mess just because the sights were a little worse; I maybe gave up a couple of points or had a few bad shot calls or a few tenths of a second over an entire match.

maximize your potential with the guns you are likely use, don't stress about apocalyptic scenarios revolving around pick-up guns, which very likely you'd be lucky to even find a glock... could be a lorcin, highpoint, 1911, GP100, etc.....

2c

-rvb

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The OEM sights are perfectly serviceable. I also like the Trijicon HDs and pick the front sight up easier. It translates into somewhere between .10-.15 seconds faster on close range targets. The stock sights are actually a bit faster for me for longer range shots. I can hit a steel torso at 75y pretty consistently with either, but the narrower light bars on the OEM sights makes it a little quicker. As I'm more likely to need "faster" up close, the trade off is worth it for me. In the end, it's likely to be a pretty minor difference. Grab a target and timer and test it out, everyone's eyes and how their brain processes visual input is a little different.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

The problem with Glock sights isn't whether they work for aligning the gun with your eyes and the target or not, but that they're plastic and fragile. Rack the slide a couple of times using the rear sight and sometimes it's not there anymore.

I'm not picky about the type of night sights I have. I just want them visible in low light and strong enough to not break or deform under normal use (i.e. metal). I generally go with the least expensive available option, which is typically Meprolights.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The problem with Glock sights isn't whether they work for aligning the gun with your eyes and the target or not, but that they're plastic and fragile.

Are all factory glock front sights these days installed using a screw at least?

I remember back in the day, when they were pressed in, giving a few 'glock perfection' guys a hard time while they were on their hands and knees hunting for their front sights...

-rvb

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't like the Glock factory sights because they're plastic.
    I also don't like 3-dot sights either. There's too much going on with them, they just confuse me.

I have the Ameriglo Hackathorn sights on all of my Glocks. Works great, for me.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've tried a few different sights on my Glocks (and other pistols and revolvers) and I prefer the Meprolight Tritium 3-dot night sight set...I used the same set-up on all my Glock's because it gives me the same sight picture on each one. Tritium sights are for low/no light shooting situations...you never know when you might have one!

I've tried the Trijicon's...and they provided such a small tritium insert that, even in a completely dark room, I had to look for the green sight just to see it...much less try to use it! They wouldn't stand behind their work and replace it...ever again!

I also like the XS Sights 'standard' dot tritium set-up...I use 'em on my Ruger Revolvers...nice site!

Which ever one you choose...I do recommend being consistent!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think so much of this is just personal preference for your own situation. If all a guy does is take his precious little pew pew to the range then yeah he'd probably be perfectly happy with the factory sights until they wiggle loose or break which really isn't all that likely. If a guy lived in the city where there's ambient light everywhere then night sights really wouldn't do that much more for him. However take a guy who lives out in the middle of nowhere and if he hears a bump in the night then all he's got is starlight. If you're carrying a sidearm in the woods on a hiking trip in the woods and hears something in the night some night sights would certainly help.

I've only had one set of factory glock sights fail on me, and in fairness I bought that gun used so who knows how it was treated before it became mine. The adjustable rear sight on a G41 45acp could be drifted left and right by thumb pressure so that particular set of sights had to be upgraded.

Personally, I used to think night sights were an overpriced unnecessary feature that was just a waste. Maybe I've gotten older and I'm certainly doing more things with my glocks, but I have night sights on all my pistols. Normally, I just consider the cost of upgrading the sights as part of the cost of ownership anymore. Having said that, I don't find any fault in guys who run factory sights. If that's what you like or you don't see any reason to upgrade then just shoot whatever you got.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Generally speaking all of my handguns get metal sights installed. Those with factory three dot sights get the "sharpie treatment" to the rears. I have even been guilty of blacking out 3 dot night sights as well. I do have a PPQ that still wears the factory rear plastic sight but has a fiber optic up front instead of the factory original. If this gun was something that would ever see a holster then it to would get metal sights.

I am am down to one Glock now. It is a Glock 19 that stays in my range bag as a loaner gun. It has a $55 set of Ameriglo CAP sights installed. It replaced a G26 loaner gun that I traded to another guy for the G19, it had factory metal sights. I think those were $30.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I had never owned a Glock or used up to date sights until I went to an INGO shoot and was allowed to shoot guns with modern electronic sights. Old age eyesight had made stock sights hard to use but the electronic stuff was a revelation. Bought a Glock 40 MOS with the Trijicon red dot and like it.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I can use the Glock OEM sights if needed. However, I am a little faster (or a little less slow) with Warren-Sevigny sights (plain rear, FO front). I replace the factory sights on the handguns that I use the most. The rest of them still have the original sights.

Option C: It Depends

Top Bottom