Poll: Do you use the Glock OEM sights?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Tired Of Winning

Glock OEM Sights

How many folks stick with the factory sights on their Glocks?

I am pretty particular about my handgun sights. I like a Amerglo Pro/Trijicon HD big orange dot sort of front sight with a black rear sight (10-8 preferably.)

In contemplating a backup Glock or two, I'm considering different sighting options for the additional guns. Inspired by Cedartop's commentary in this other thread, I'm thinking of pushing myself to use the factory sights.

I see lots of YouTubers making Glock shooting vids with factory sights. Wonder if it wouldn't be beneficial to be prepared to "push out" a handgun that isn't so specialized to me?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

I thought about changing out the sights on my 19, but after shooting it and improving the trigger, I see no need to spend more money on something I don't need. If it ain't broke!
    I kill threads, IDK how... I just do.

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post

I am pretty particular about my handgun sights. I like a Amerglo Pro/Trijicon HD big orange dot sort of front sight with a black rear sight (10-8 preferably.)

In contemplating a backup Glock or two, I'm considering different sighting options for the additional guns. Inspired by Cedartop's commentary in this other thread, I'm thinking of pushing myself to use the factory sights.

I see lots of YouTubers making Glock shooting vids with factory sights. Wonder if it wouldn't be beneficial to be prepared to "push out" a handgun that isn't so specialized to me?
    I actually don't mind the factory sights and can use them pretty well. I never leave them on because they are plastic, and there are sights I like better. If you told me I couldn't have anything else, it wouldn't be a big deal. BTW, this should be a poll.
    Michael Swisher
    Owner/Operator Paladin Combatives LLC
    Visit my Facebook page
    Paladin Combatives website

Plinker
    I usually change them out for night sights, but not to just be getting rid of them. I have owned several different Glocks through the years. I have a 23 with night sights, but also a 22 that still has the factory sights. The 22 is in a bailout bag and I haven't spent the money to upgrade to nights sights yet.

Andy Cree

Tired Of Winning
    Updated thread w/poll. Thanks for the advice cedartop!

Too little trust in your ability to align the sights, any sights, and too much trust in equipment.

I bet if mid match I handed you a stock glock, you'd barely notice a difference in your performance... other than just having to work harder due to the horrid nature of the stock sights.

I shot half a season with stock sights on my limited glock even after I was plenty used to the good sights on my production glock. I had to work a little harder to align quickly and shot calling was a little harder... but training with them more wasn't going to make them better than better sights. yet, I still didn't become a fumbling mess just because the sights were a little worse; I maybe gave up a couple of points or had a few bad shot calls or a few tenths of a second over an entire match.

maximize your potential with the guns you are likely use, don't stress about apocalyptic scenarios revolving around pick-up guns, which very likely you'd be lucky to even find a glock... could be a lorcin, highpoint, 1911, GP100, etc.....

2c

-rvb
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

Tired Of Winning
    Quote Originally Posted by rvb View Post
    ... don't stress about apocalyptic scenarios revolving around pick-up guns...
    How dare you say that about me?

The OEM sights are perfectly serviceable. I also like the Trijicon HDs and pick the front sight up easier. It translates into somewhere between .10-.15 seconds faster on close range targets. The stock sights are actually a bit faster for me for longer range shots. I can hit a steel torso at 75y pretty consistently with either, but the narrower light bars on the OEM sights makes it a little quicker. As I'm more likely to need "faster" up close, the trade off is worth it for me. In the end, it's likely to be a pretty minor difference. Grab a target and timer and test it out, everyone's eyes and how their brain processes visual input is a little different.
    My nuts are the great uniter.

I couldn't focus on the front sight, very well, with factory or 3-dot style. Also wanted a night sight.

Hackathorns for me.
    EZ Pay NRA Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullDaddy.45 View Post
    My hands were full with burgers and obscenities!

The problem with Glock sights isn't whether they work for aligning the gun with your eyes and the target or not, but that they're plastic and fragile. Rack the slide a couple of times using the rear sight and sometimes it's not there anymore.

I'm not picky about the type of night sights I have. I just want them visible in low light and strong enough to not break or deform under normal use (i.e. metal). I generally go with the least expensive available option, which is typically Meprolights.

Email: Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast