• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Ok; fired a few over the years and ready to finally own a CZ and see if it leads to an addiction.

Lots of options and models. Can all the resident CZ experts help me narrow it down?

The gun will be a range and safe gun so size and weight are not a significant priority. Don't need a rail. Won't be a competition gun. 1911's and 1-3rd Gen Smiths are my preferred platforms; so I think CZ's will fit right in.

I am looking for the following:

All metal....
    Hammer fired
    45 would be great but that seems to leave only one option, so 9mm is OK given its intended use
    Accuracy - good enough out of the box so I can chase groups at the range. I want to be able to post 'This CZ is crazy accurate!"
    Trigger 1911-esque but I'm OK with doing a trigger job post-purchase so long as it doesn't start out as bad as my M&P 45 trigger...

Should I just look at the "basic" 75 B or 97 B or is double the cost worth it for something like the Shadow Target or the new Shadow 2?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Wow, were to begin... So many to choose from. Too bad you were not looking about two weeks ago. There have been a handful of fully tuned hot rods posted up in the classies lately but I think all have been snapped up. CM is right about the 97B. Those are fantastic pistols but the word 'light' is rarely used in the same sentence. I tend to gravitate towards the oddball CZs, so the stuff I like is probably not the stuff you are looking for. But, a full size stainless 75B would sure make a nice entry point into CZ ownership. The factory trigger is not bad can can be improved a whole bunch with some polish and a spring kit. You can also take it all the way and put a CGW Pro kit in it and have one of the best full size 9mm shooting experiences available. Do a bit of external polish, add VZ grips and a set of TFX Pros and it would be a gun you'd have a hard time parting with. Ever.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Others have had wonderful experiences running larger calibers in their CZ's, but IMHO, I think CZ's shine brightest in 9mm format. I like the 1911 to run my 45 stash, and it's hard for me to consider running that caliber in a different platform. For 9mm, I've tried lots of options... Springfield XDM, S&W M&P, Ruger SR series, Beretta 92 series, Walther PPQ, maybe one or two others. But nothing fits my hands, and longish piano fingers, like a CZ.

As 88 states above, the 75B is very good out of the box, and also makes for a phenomenal platform to make the gun really shine. Be it the 75B, the P-01, PCR, the 85B (or 85 Combat) with ambi controls, or 75B Compact, all lay a beautiful foundation you can tune to your tastes and budget.

Since you asked OP, if size and weight isn't a concern for your first CZ, the 75B is a choice I think you would enjoy for a long, long time. Personally, I'm a freak about symetry, and love the ambi controls on the 85. And if I were to get an 85, it would without question be the Combat model (no firing pin block).

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Others have had wonderful experiences running larger calibers in their CZ's, but IMHO, I think CZ's shine brightest in 9mm format. I like the 1911 to run my 45 stash, and it's hard for me to consider running that caliber in a different platform. For 9mm, I've tried lots of options... Springfield XDM, S&W M&P, Ruger SR series, Beretta 92 series, Walther PPQ, maybe one or two others. But nothing fits my hands, and longish piano fingers, like a CZ.

As 88 states above, the 75B is very good out of the box, and also makes for a phenomenal platform to make the gun really shine. Be it the 75B, the P-01, PCR, the 85B (or 85 Combat) with ambi controls, or 75B Compact, all lay a beautiful foundation you can tune to your tastes and budget.

Since you asked OP, if size and weight isn't a concern for your first CZ, the 75B is a choice I think you would enjoy for a long, long time. Personally, I'm a freak about symetry, and love the ambi controls on the 85. And if I were to get an 85, it would without question be the Combat model (no firing pin block).

I am a dyed in the wool 1911 guy. They are my passion.
    That said I have a CZ 97 that is just amazing. At times I am actually better with it than my much loved 1911's. It is a serious chunk of steel and a flat shooter by comparison. The ignition controls are butter.

I put the rail on it. CGW CopperHead

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I am a dyed in the wool 1911 guy. They are my passion.
    That said I have a CZ 97 that is just amazing. At times I am actually better with it than my much loved 1911's. It is a serious chunk of steel and a flat shooter by comparison. The ignition controls are butter.
    Oh wow... that black on bronze is total eye candy. Wow!!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    CZ mania is so big that it can't be contained to just one thread. ;)

Top Bottom