• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Simply because I wasn't alive in the era of police carrying revolvers, I'm sort of fascinated by it. I'm interested to hear what you all think about it/what your experience was. To any current or former LEOs, do you remember when revolvers were the primary duty weapon? How was the transition to semi automatics? How long did some officers carry their revolvers? 1990s? 2000s? Of course I'm sure some agencies were forced to make the switch.
    It would be awesome to see a police officer carrying a revolver in uniform today, but I don't blame them one bit for having max capacity firearms. And to civilians, do you also remember seeing a decreasing number of revolvers, what were your thoughts at the time?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I was issued a Model 15 and qualified with it in the Academy in 1994. In 1997 the 9 mm S&W third Generation was optional carrry. Some carried 3913. I carried a personally owned 5943 until about 2003 when the Glock 17 was issued and made mandatory for on duty carry. Nothing else was allowed after that. Except for one Sergeant holdout.

I still own and carry the 5943. And more than one K frame revolver.

I never felt undergunned with the Model 15. I relied on my 870 on hot runs anyway.

This is all Ft Wayne. I think my dates are correct. The carry pistol was never a great concern in my experience. Tactics and backup are far more important.

The J frame on my left ankle got used more than once too.....But only while seated in the car.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I started with the workhorse revolver of law enforcement, the S&W Model 10, Military & Police .38 Special, with the heavy barrel. My dad's had the pencil barrel. We went to the Model 65 for a few years before switching to Model 6906 autos. Since my retirement they've gone to the Smith M&P autos.

The main impetus for us in switching to autos was the arrival of female patrol officers. Many of the girls we got were so tiny that they were literally not strong enough to pull the trigger of a double action revolver sixty times in a row in our qualification course, which in the academy was shot twice in the morning and twice in the afternoon. The rangemaster was at wit's end.

He wised up and put on a demonstration with some of our munchkin females, wheelguns vs. autos. Once the girls fired that first double action shot from an auto and then had a single action trigger they became little Annie Oakleys.

The brass were sold.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's been around 6 years or so, but I saw an officer downtown with a revolver in his holster. Some event going on, if I remember correctly.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I never work as a police but I worked for the Federal Government. My first issued gun was a Sig P226 But they called it something else I forgot. Now own a P226 and a P229.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    As of a few years ago, you could still spot a cop in Chicago carrying a old Smith and some court bailiffs still do.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    In 1992 we carried S&W M66 357 mag. 2 speedloaders in a pouch, handcuffs, and a portable radio in your rear pocket. Had a nightstick(baton).

Kevlar was getting popular, so our vests were worn under the uniform shirt. Didn't take much to sweat through your tshirt to your uniform shirt.
    We qualled with duty ammo, and got 1 box of 50 per year.(Federal 125 gr HP-357mag). We did shoot some 38spec as practice ammo, but duty was 357mag.

I carried a S&W M36 Snub as an ankle gun. It went to my gunsmith and had the hammer cut down, to allow no snag draw from a pocket. Always fired with Off Duty Qualls/Combat Course.

Rem 870 SG was a quall also. Deer slugs and #4 Buckshot. Early on we did not carry rifles(ARs), but did after Bank Of America shoot out in LA.

We also tested 9mm, and 40 cal guns and adopted G22s. (40cal) You could carry 9mm, 40cal, or 45Acp, 38/357mag. Most guys went 40 cal.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Not that long ago I saw a Transit Police officer at the Philly airport with a SW Mod 19...The officer looked to be late 40's or early 50's.....I commended him when I saw it and he said he had been using the same gun since the 90's and it was grandfathered in.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    civilians, do you also remember seeing a decreasing number of revolvers, what were your thoughts at the time?

I was frightened by this new development, was afraid they would become "shooty" and kill me, so I got my S*** together and went on the straight and narrow! The president caused this issue.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    It may have recently ended, but it had a very long run, from about 1850 to 2000 something. Proves that there is nothing wrong with them.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I started off in law enforcement carrying my personal S&W model 28 with 4" bbl. (we weren't issued handguns, ammo or leather). I carried it in a high rise leather holster with thumb break and Sam Browne. I also carried Dade Speedloaders loaded with Super Vel 137 gr. JSP in .357 Mag. caliber. I switched agencies and was issued a Ruger Security Six and Remington 158 gr. JSP ammo. I shot it loose and replaced it with the above revolver (I had to get approval). I still used a high ride, thumb break leather holster (Don Hume). My leather was a "River Belt" for rough duty and Sam Browne for dress. Ammo loops were used until speedloaders were approved for duty. After speedloaders were approved I carried Safariland type I speedloaders. I later replaced my Model 28 with a Model 66. I stuck with Hogue grips when I discovered them. Prior to that, I tried various grips (mostly Herrett). With the revolvers we qualified quarterly with 148 gr. HBWC .38 SPL ammo. I was a range officer (additional duty) when we switched to autos. As a range officer, I could carry my revolver, but I had to qualify with an auto. A buddy lent me his Sig 220 in .45 ACP for qualification. Once autos became mandatory, I qualified with and carried the Beretta 96D, which I carried until retirement. I never felt undergunned with a revolver while in law enforcement. I trusted those 125 gr. JHP .357 Mag. cartridges!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I started off in law enforcement carrying my personal S&W model 28 with 4" bbl. (we weren't issued handguns, ammo or leather). I carried it in a high rise leather holster with thumb break and Sam Browne. I also carried Dade Speedloaders loaded with Super Vel 137 gr. JSP in .357 Mag. caliber. I switched agencies and was issued a Ruger Security Six and Remington 158 gr. JSP ammo. I shot it loose and replaced it with the above revolver (I had to get approval). I still used a high ride, thumb break leather holster (Don Hume). My leather was a "River Belt" for rough duty and Sam Browne for dress. Ammo loops were used until speedloaders were approved for duty. After speedloaders were approved I carried Safariland type I speedloaders. I later replaced my Model 28 with a Model 66. I stuck with Hogue grips when I discovered them. Prior to that, I tried various grips (mostly Herrett). With the revolvers we qualified quarterly with 148 gr. HBWC .38 SPL ammo. I was a range officer (additional duty) when we switched to autos. As a range officer, I could carry my revolver, but I had to qualify with an auto. A buddy lent me his Sig 220 in .45 ACP for qualification. Once autos became mandatory, I qualified with and carried the Beretta 96D, which I carried until retirement. I never felt undergunned with a revolver while in law enforcement. I trusted those 125 gr. JHP .357 Mag. cartridges!

A Model 28...the classic "Highway Patrolman" model.

For the younger crowd here, the Smith .357 Magnum, when it was introduced in 1935, was called the "Registered Magnum." When Smith assigned model numbers to its revolvers it became the Model 27, one of the jewels of the Smith line.

The Model 28 was a lower priced counterpart of the Model 27 with fewer bells and whistles and with law enforcement purchasers in mind.

It is a piece of history.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Still used by some special units over here.
    For CQB or for training to shoot at eachother.

gign-historique-1994-02.jpg

1522005541709806665.jpg

I've seen cops with two side arms, a Glock next to a revolver.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    We have some local police departments that are limited by law to carry certain calibers so most of them use .38 revolvers.

le-38-special-revolver-a-six-coups-qui-equipe-aujourd-hui_845838_516x343.jpg

sa-demande-est-refusee-le-policier-municipal-ne-sera-pas-arme.jpg

Top Bottom