• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I've lost track of how many times I've been asked about the H9 and my thoughts are literally a full page on this and I had to put it in an article. You really can't fairly one-liner this new gun.

The short and sweet? Companies should have learned by now if you hype the hell out of something you'd better be able to bring it when the time comes. 9 disabled handguns and 1 functional handgun on an entire bay at what is one of the most coveted, and expensive, spots at an industry event?

Firing the new Hudson H9, initial thoughts and impressions | 13C

:ingo:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    This year's Shot Show was anticipated for two handguns; the M&P 2.0 and the Hudson H9.

The M&P 2.0 was a decent evolution of an aging platform. Conservation move for S&W and will be good for sales. Did nothing to excite me as a current owner of an M&P stable, but sales of the M&P line are too good to change too much. I'll probably purchase a Performance Center 45 Shield and wait to see what the Performance Center does with the 2.0 in time.

Now, as a 1911 cult member, the Hudson marketing had me hooked and anxiously watching the countdown clock. Once the bell did ring, it was just another 9 mm. It's an interesting exercise in re-engineering but nothing truly groundbreaking. Having a fondness for metal guns, the H9 was something that I could have easily placed a pre-order for but instead it helped me to decide to finally purchase a CZ...

Did Hudson give any indication when the H9 might actually be available to Joe Consumer? I've seen nothing in the write-ups I've seen.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    This year's Shot Show was anticipated for two handguns; the M&P 2.0 and the Hudson H9.

The M&P 2.0 was a decent evolution of an aging platform. Conservation move for S&W and will be good for sales. Did nothing to excite me as a current owner of an M&P stable, but sales of the M&P line are too good to change too much. I'll probably purchase a Performance Center 45 Shield and wait to see what the Performance Center does with the 2.0 in time.

Now, as a 1911 cult member, the Hudson marketing had me hooked and anxiously watching the countdown clock. Once the bell did ring, it was just another 9 mm. It's an interesting exercise in re-engineering but nothing truly groundbreaking. Having a fondness for metal guns, the H9 was something that I could have easily placed a pre-order for but instead it helped me to decide to finally purchase a CZ...

Did Hudson give any indication when the H9 might actually be available to Joe Consumer? I've seen nothing in the write-ups I've seen.

Unfortunately no, no dates I can pass on other than "were working hard..." ect. ect. I honestly think Hudson should have either waited till SHOT 2018 to make their big debut, or a initial push at NRA 2017 and then the big SHOT range day in 2018. Hard for a small start up I know but rushing things is never a good idea.

Considering the difficulties of a small company they may have been better served trying to "launch" at the Spring 2017 Big 3 East event rather than try and go all out at Range day. They also would have had a couple more months to have more functional handguns to get on the line.

Gotta wonder what marketing company(ies) they contracted and if they were actually in the industry...

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Your opinions makes sense. Its one thing when an established manufactured drops a product and then we have to wait for availability but Hudson is going to lose the excitement of their marketing.

More power to them; but they jumped into a VERY crowded market segment.

zsm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've lost track of how many times I've been asked about the H9 and my thoughts are literally a full page on this and I had to put it in an article. You really can't fairly one-liner this new gun.

The short and sweet? Companies should have learned by now if you hype the hell out of something you'd better be able to bring it when the time comes. 9 disabled handguns and 1 functional handgun on an entire bay at what is one of the most coveted, and expensive, spots at an industry event?

Firing the new Hudson H9, initial thoughts and impressions | 13C

:ingo:

I've seen all the marketing they have put out so far. Do you think you've let your own expectations get too high? All they have stated since the beginning is that it is a steel-framed, striker-fired 1911-ish pistol with a low bore axis. No grip safety, no bushing, no barrel link, stock front strap checkering. That is what I expected: no more, no less. As a die-hard 1911 fan, I believe that is where all the hype is coming from. Now I've found that it comes stock with a Trijicon bright orange sight with a solid black rear too. Hudson is paying attention.

Not to regurgitate what I said in the last thread, but there are many fans that swear by steel-framed pistols. How many have been released lately that were not a CZ clone? We might see a day where the only steel-framed pistols are CZ/clones and 1911's. The Hi-power is dying. While the kinks of a 9mm 1911 have seemed to iron out over time, 38 super will always be what is ideal in many people's mind.

The Saint comparison does not seem accurate. Springfield Armory has the size and capability to offer something new, different, or tap into a new market. Not only did they release another AR, they released a lacking AR. There is a massive following that hold Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, Noveske and so on as a standard. The Saint does not seem to fit in anywhere. Especially when a 6720 is $850.

They are a small company in an aggressive market, and it will be rough for them no matter what happens. The marketing was kinda neat, but all the crazy escalating expectations seem to be self-induced among the gun crowd.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Unfortunately no, no dates I can pass on other than "were working hard..." ect. ect. I honestly think Hudson should have either waited till SHOT 2018 to make their big debut, or a initial push at NRA 2017 and then the big SHOT range day in 2018. Hard for a small start up I know but rushing things is never a good idea.

Considering the difficulties of a small company they may have been better served trying to "launch" at the Spring 2017 Big 3 East event rather than try and go all out at Range day. They also would have had a couple more months to have more functional handguns to get on the line.

Gotta wonder what marketing company(ies) they contracted and if they were actually in the industry...

Number one reason companies do this... they are running out of money.

Lakeman62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Syracuse area
    I have a gun enthusiast friend who picked up one of these and he is extremely happy with it, He shoots a lot (500 rounds per week) and he claims he can see true benefits of the design. he's a 1911 fan as well but he can't say enough good about his new rig. Just FYI

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    My number 1 dislike of companies, they announce a product and years later nothing. I really don't understand what is involved on producing anything but as a consumer is very frustrating, S&W has done a good job lately shipping products and having them available when coming up with something new.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    My number 1 dislike of companies, they announce a product and years later nothing. I really don't understand what is involved on producing anything but as a consumer is very frustrating, S&W has done a good job lately shipping products and having them available when coming up with something new.

Ruger is usually the same way. By the time Ruger announces something, its usually shipping to the wholesalers/dealers.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I got to run some rounds through the H9 today and it is a very nice shooting gun. I was a little surprised when I first handled it as it looks bigger and more bulky in pictures but to handle one it's very thin and doesn't seem big at all, the grip felt great to me. I do like an all steel gun but some might find it a little heavy but it's not bad at all IMO. Trigger is very nice, the stirrup design works like a 1911 which I like and it has a very short reset. It comes with a Trijicon HD front sight (uses an M&P dovetail) but the U notch rear is not wide enough for my tastes but i'm sure mfg's will be putting out options soon. This particular one shot a little low, about an inch off but that can be fixed. I attached a target with the last three rounds I shot. The bull was pretty shot up so I picked a random spot on the target that's why they look like they are off so much.

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Top Bottom