• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Help me decide between the M&P compact .45 and the Shield 45! What is the difference between them? Pros and cons of each? Are the internals the same? Are the ergonomics the same? Is the shooting experience similar?

Thanks guys!

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Rent both and decide which one you like better. I think Point Blank shooting range in Carmel has some special with trying out the 45 this weekend.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Its going to be a matter of what feels best in your hand. Shooting experience is very similar. You'll find lots of complete write-ups with side by side photographs if you Google "Shield vs. M&Pc".

My Performance Center Shield has a great trigger (well....relative to "standard" M&P triggers and the trigger in my full size M&P 45 is the worst of all my M&P's) and I prefer the thinner size of the shield for a CCW.

Depends upon your use; but assuming its CCW - the Shield might be the "best" choice. Take a look at the PC Shield (9mm or 45 acp). Yes; the porting is not needed but the gun is much better "tuned" than the standard shield and the trigger is good. For a CCW, I don't want to use the gun in other than a stock configuration (read: liability).

I'm a smith fan but don't exclude the XDS - wasn't for me; but its a great gun in 45.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I have the M&P 45c. It has more of a midsize barrel and slide with a shortened grip. I actually really like it because its something i still enjoy shooting at the range (good ergos with replaceable backstraps), but can still conceal carry with a good IWB holster.

I have never shot the shield in 45 but have shot it in 9 and 40. The shield isn't my favorite gun to shoot because of how thin it is, but would definitely be even easier to conceal. The shield probably takes more practice to get confident with than the 45c, but if you have the time, go for it!

Shoot both and see which meets your needs.

Last edited:

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Thanks all! I was planning on shooting both, but wanted some hands on impressions from other people. That and I really didn't see much of a difference between them aside from round capacity.

Not an XDA fan. Just didn't like the feel of them. Can't put my finger on any one thing that bugged me though. Just not my cup of tea, I guess.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have a 9c and a Shield 9. I am planning the DCAEK for the Shield. The 9c already has it. I like the Shield for its light weight and concealability...but have only had it for a week and only carried it twice. So jury is still out. I think the biggest gun you can comfortably conceal and carry is what you need. I can hide the 9c under a tucked in button up shirt no problem...but the Shield does it even better. I carry everything IWB.

Good Luck

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I EDC the 45c. I like the gun and its balance in my hand. I've shot the Shield 9, and prefer the 45c. But, the trigger pull is long. I have an Apex sear I haven't installed yet. I just adapted to the long pull.

Top Bottom