• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I carry one, by comparison to either my 92FS's or 1911's it's noticeably slimmer and weighs less loaded it's a piece of cake to conceal versus other full size pistols. I have 4th and 2nd Gen guns, love how the 4th Gens shoot but the grip panel texture is hard on bare skin if you have a shirt out over it and it rides on skin using an inside waistband holster.

The grip texture really does stay put in the hand though, the 4th Gens are a tough act to follow.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    It depends on you and how you want to carry. What are you used to? Most things feel weird until we get used to them. I started with OWB at 3-4 o'clock. After reading and watching a lot of videos I decided to try appendix carry a Shield 9. It took a little while to get used to it but then it just became a part of me. I can now AIWB carry a G17 just as easy as a G19 and the Shield 9 I used to carry. I do not wear tight fitting clothes so that's a big factor too.

The G17 really isn't that much bigger than the smaller models.

6012d1387130701-question-leo-s-using-glock-g31-32-glock-17-19-26.jpg

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Get a good belt and holster and you should be able to carry it fine. You'll want to experiment with where you position it (I carry between 2:30 and 3:00), if you have a cant or not and things like that. I carry a P226 OWB and have no problems with it. That's just as large as a G17 and heavier. This time of year, even if you want to CC, OWB is fine as you'll likely have on a sweatshirt, coat, or some other form of cover garment.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I exclusively carry a Glock-27 in .40, pretty much EDC-ED (every day).

However, "IF" I am going someplace and I think I would be needing a lil more firepower capacity, the Glock-22 comes out of the trunk and I carry it, lil brother becomes the BUG.

:ingo::draw::ar15:

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think it depends on the person. For me a full size pistol is too large to carry(at least concealed it is). I don't carry any extra weight on me(5'11", 32 waist, 168lbs) and I like to wear my pants so that they don't look like they're hanging off my hips.

I tried IWB with the Shield and even that didn't work for me. I felt like I was asymmetrical with the right side of my hip sticking out.:)

I went to a OWB and now I can carry the Shield just fine. BUT, I always know it's there. Carrying a full size gun for me is only at the range or if I was going to carry openly.

YMMV

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I carry a G17 with TLR-1 light much of the time. I do both IWB and OWB at about 3:30 and it works just fine with a good belt. The IWB conceals a bit better as everything is tucked in a bit tighter to my body, but with a loose shirt outside over the top of either one I never have anyone mention that they see it. There are some days when where I go and what I have to wear don't really allow the G17 and then I go to something a bit smaller and a different style of carry.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Like others mention before it will depend on your gear and clothes, for a long time I thought the G26 was too big to conceal. I finally made investment on belt, good holster and wear the right clothes. I now carry a G19 most of the time either IWB or OWB with no issues, you have to try what works for you and what doesn't in my case I never thought I could carry IWB now I do it comfortably. I was recently thinking about switching to a G17 so just the with the right holster.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Find a good belt and thin sturdy holster and the 17 is just fine.
    Ditto

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Carry mine all the time. I got a good belt and it made all the difference. Prefer my pistols full size.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I carry a G17 with TLR-1 light much of the time. I do both IWB and OWB at about 3:30 and it works just fine with a good belt. The IWB conceals a bit better as everything is tucked in a bit tighter to my body, but with a loose shirt outside over the top of either one I never have anyone mention that they see it. There are some days when where I go and what I have to wear don't really allow the G17 and then I go to something a bit smaller and a different style of carry.
    Me too.

I recently switched to the G17 w/TLR-1 and I carry in an Armordillo Concealment X-fer rig. It's IWB and while it feels asymmetrical like gregkl said above, I load up my other hip with a Leatherman, dagger and flashlight. Balances it out well so I don't feel like the one hip is sticking out farther than the other. As Yamadog says, the shirt covers it up.

Like all concealed carry, you're worried about it way more than everyone else. If you OC, who cares?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have been AIWB carrying my Glock 17. It's very easy with a quality belt and holster. Now, it would be harder to do with skinny jeans and tight fitting shirts. But you do NOT need to wear baggy clothes to conceal it either.

Since it's cold, now would be the time to start carrying the Glock 17. That way when warm weather arrives, you'll be used to the feel of carrying a full size gun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Like all concealed carry, you're worried about it way more than everyone else.

Most people just aren't paying that much attention to pick up the fact that someone is carrying a gun. Especially concealed, though my wife has missed people open carrying right in front of us! lol.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I carry a 5.25 XDm a good portion of the year. Both IWB & OWB. I have a proper gun belt (BioBelt) and good holsters. Even in the summer, carrying it IWB with a patterned untucked shirt, it disappears to 99% of people. When I reall want to conceal, I switch to my XDs 4".

Top Bottom