• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    So, here's the story. My dad collected firearms years ago but my mom forced him to sell most of them off when I was born. Over the years he's commented multiple times that the PPK was the one firearm he always wanted but never owned. Last March he flatlined in surgery and was dead for two minutes before they were able to revive him. I decided that for his birthday this March I was going to get him that PPK. After a lot of research I decided to go with one of the West German PPK/S models. I found one on gunbroker with the original box/papers/cleaning rods, and the seller stated that he believes it to be unfired (judging by the pics, he may very well be right).

My question is, what is your opinion on these particular models in comparison to the others, and what is a reasonable price? The bid is already higher than what it's probably worth, but I'm not worried about a couple hundred dollars given the circumstances. I just don't want to go too overboard as there are plenty of alternatives. Just not many in that condition.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Don't have an answer to your question, but I didn't know that we had a member in Boyington Beach.....How cool, I was just there Wednesday...

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I moved down here about a year ago but I spent 26 years in Indiana and have followed this board for years. I guess I just feel more at home on this board than the South Florida sites.

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    A true PPK fan may not like the PPK/s as it is in actuality a PPK slide and barrel on a PP frame. It was made to allow Walther to continue to sell its popular PPK series in the states after the 1968 Firearms Act that restricted small foreign made gun. (Thanks Indiana Senator at the time Birch Bayh who was a huge proponent of the bill ). It feels completely different in grip and weight.

If it was me, I would keep looking for a PPK.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The original PPK in 32 ACP is the classic, the PPK/S in .380 ACP will be less expensive and easier to find. Both shoot the same as far as accuracy and it's good for a pocket gun.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    A true PPK fan may not like the PPK/s as it is in actuality a PPK slide and barrel on a PP frame. It was made to allow Walther to continue to sell its popular PPK series in the states after the 1968 Firearms Act that restricted small foreign made gun. (Thanks Indiana Senator at the time Birch Bayh who was a huge proponent of the bill ). It feels completely different in grip and weight.

If it was me, I would keep looking for a PPK.

That's what I was hoping to do, but there are some parameters limiting my search. I'm looking for one chambered in .380, manufactured in Germany (although I know the parts were manufactured in France on many), and lightly used with a serial # matching box. I did find a 1965 import .380 PPK with correct box but the opening bid is $1300 and my budget isn't unlimited.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I've put a few on my watch list. The one I mentioned in the OP jumped to $1500 in the last half hour so I ended up dropping out. No bids on the 1965 model so I may end up going after it. Still 3 days on the auction though...

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    My experiences with Interarms and S&W PPK's have been good. I wouldn't rule them out

I found a NIB stainless S&W PPK at the 1500 a few shows back. New OLD stock. I paid around $600 for it. I probably over paid, but I really wanted a PPK.

Mine has been flawless through hundreds of rounds. Nice and easy to shoot. I have the aluminum framed Sig P230 as well, and it has a lot more recoil. Not to mention finicky on what ammo it likes.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    My experiences with Interarms and S&W PPK's have been good. I wouldn't rule them out

An interarms will probably be my final choice. I've had a couple lemons come through gunbroker that were advertised as being in good condition so I'm pretty weary when it comes to buying them used off that site. I don't want to risk the S&W considering every model produced for 7 had to be recalled. I just don't trust the dealers.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I got a '63 PP in late 2015 off GB. Interarms, German Polizei weapon, Nord Rhine-Westphalia. It looks like it spent most of its time in a desk and was fired very little. I think mine was the only bid at 600.00 with box and all accoutrements. Good luck in your search, they are quality weapons.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom