Charter Arms revolvers - decent, or junk?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1milehigher

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2013
    Central Ind
    I'm looking at snub nose revolvers in 357 mag. Charter has an interesting looking "Mag Pug On Duty" which has a semi-shrouded hammer that will not, easily, catch on clothing. Decent price for a 2" 357 mag around $375 which is a far cry from a S&W 649 at almost double that price. I want to stay with a SA/DA revolver that has that concealed/shrouded hammer as I will, most likely, make this a pocket carry gun.

I've never owned a Charter Arms and was wondering if they are reliable, or am I getting what I pay for?

Thanks for all your serious input.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I don't own one. My brother does and I have shot it. It's heavy with a stiff double action pull...But it goes bang every time...

Not nearly as nice as a Smith or a Ruger, but if it was all one could afford it will do..

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have had an old steel frame Charter undercover .38 for 40 years. Not as good of fit and finish as a Smith Chief special, but dependable. Think of it like a Sears and Roebuck revolver, no frills, just value. I put at least 5 rounds a month through it. It has never failed. It can hit a shotgun shell box at 50 feet when deliberately aimed. I am confident that it is a tool that will function whenever I need it.

We sold them at the shop. I never had to send one back for being defective, unlike some other popular lower priced arms.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I coon fingered one at a show and quickly put it back down. Fit and finish is about as bad as it gets. Gun was new in box. Price reflects what you get.

I would rather buy a used Ruger if on a budget. I not a Taurus fan either but would purchase one before I got a charter.

Taurus in classy adds here comes with extra grips for 250

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I owned a Charter Arms revolver about 10 years ago. It was a 38 Special snubby. I called the company to ask if it was +p rated, because I could not find that info in the manual. The person I spoke to was friendly but not very knowledgeable. The customer service department had the feel of a mom and pop operation with a handful of people on the payroll. I realize that is not the reality, but it was far different that when you call Glock or Ruger. He told me that the gun was not +p rated, which I found disappointing. It shot ok, but it was very workman-like. In my opinion, there is a reason why many knowledgeable revolver shooters say to stick with Ruger or S&W. It's worth a few extra dollars to not be disappointed with an inferior product down the line.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I've got a couple charter arms revolvers. A 44spl and a 38 gold finger. I bought the 44 and won the 38 at a friends of the nra banquette. Zero complaints with either. Sure a smith or ruger would be better but for the price I'm happy with them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I know Taurus gets slammed but I had a model 85CH. It shot +P. I smoothed up the action, keeping the factory springs and it made the trigger smooth and a few lbs lighter.

It was a great little handgun that I kinda wish I hadn't sold. I sold it for $325 with a set of Hogue grips and a cheapo holster.

Like sniper mentioned there is a nice Taurus 605 in the classifieds. I would highly consider that if I was you. No problem handling +P. Since it's a .357.:)

Oh, I do want to add that these guns normally are not conducive to SA use if even at all. If you want SA ability, you should probably look at one with a hammer that has a spur on it.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I have Rugers, Colts, NAA, FIA, and Tarus. I like them all some more than others. Never owned a Charter Arms revolver, but hey I am not dead yet.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have always shunned the Charter Arms revolvers. Until my son bought one last year and I handled it. I did not shoot it, just handled and dry fired it. They are now made in the US and I was pretty impressed. I'm still not sure I would buy one, but the price is right and I am pretty sure it will put rounds on target.

That is all I can say. People buy them or the company would have gone out of business by now.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I have a 1st gen (~1989) Bulldog in 44 special. Great gun...it ain't a smith or colt but its respectable.

Took a much newer .38 special in a trade and was afraid to shoot it! lol...but it clearly had a rough life.

Last edited:

Jmak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I bought a 44 special target Charter a few months ago. I fired maybe 20-25 rounds. It shoots fine, kind of fun to shoot. Trigger did not seem too heavy. But then again if it was there is always Wolff Springs. Good price too (on the revolver that is)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have an old .38 undercover that my late mother carried when she was pregnant with me (so it's at least 37 years old). It's no Smith, but it's fine for a BUG. And of course this particular one is priceless to me.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If it's what you can afford, it's ok. As others have said, fit and finish are ok-good, not great.
    Long, heavy triggers on all the ones I've felt. But, I haven't heard of reliability problems.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    my dad had a old Charter arms snubby in 38 special. It was never fired and my mom gave it away when my dad died.. I would have loved to have it.. that was back in the 80's.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    My wife has the Pitbull in 9mm. I would agree with others that the fit and finish is moderate. This is certainly not a hand fitted gun. But with that said, it is perfectly functional. It has worked great for my wife and he enjoys shooting it. She is a great shot with it.

Top Bottom