Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    View attachment 52718

Here's my browning bdm I thought I would show
    to you guys is a pretty gun

I've never seen a two-tone BDM! Is that nickel?

The BDM was a good gun that was killed by the bans that went into effect in 1994. It had the smallest grip of any double stack 9mm pistol around, so it was great for people with small hands and/or short fingers.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've never seen a two-tone BDM! Is that nickel?

The BDM was a good gun that was killed by the bans that went into effect in 1994. It had the smallest grip of any double stack 9mm pistol around, so it was great for people with small hands and/or short fingers.

The US Secret Service was seriously considering the BDM to replace their service revolvers. Browning marketed it way more than their own manufacturing could deliver. So the USSS adopted SIGs first in 9mm then in 357 SIG around 1996.

The BDM was a good feeling gun though.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have always wanted one of those. The ones I've shot had spongy triggers, I was wondering how I'd try to correct that if I ever got one.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The US Secret Service was seriously considering the BDM to replace their service revolvers. Browning marketed it way more than their own manufacturing could deliver. So the USSS adopted SIGs first in 9mm then in 357 SIG around 1996.

The BDM was a good feeling gun though.

That's interesting history! I was new to guns back in 1994, so I would have missed all of that.

All I knew was that it as a 9mm that held lots of bullets, and that it was the only one at the time whose trigger I could reach without too much trouble.

That and the firing pins were fragile. I broke one dryfiring and had to replace it. It was flat, and probably made by stamping them from a roll of mild steel without any kind if heat treatment (or inadequate heat treatment).

I have always wanted one of those. The ones I've shot had spongy triggers, I was wondering how I'd try to correct that if I ever got one.

That's a good question. I never tore one apart, but given the features that allowed eithe DAO or DA/SA, it was probably complicated inside of there.

In single action mode, the shoot well.

I like shooting my bdm is the funnest gun ever shot and it fells good in the hand to

Amen!

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    That is very nice! And a two-tone at that! Love the BDM and am shocked it never really caught on! Great grip frame, slim profile, great shooter...just feels so good in the hand. I love them!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That is very nice! And a two-tone at that! Love the BDM and am shocked it never really caught on! Great grip frame, slim profile, great shooter...just feels so good in the hand. I love them!

It was timing, I think. The Crime Act of 1994 that banned standard capacity magazines (until it expired) probably had a lot to do with it. It was a recent arrival on the market and with the ban, magazines became scarce and then prices went very high ($75+ for a 15rd if you could find them back in 1995).

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    It was timing, I think. The Crime Act of 1994 that banned standard capacity magazines (until it expired) probably had a lot to do with it. It was a recent arrival on the market and with the ban, magazines became scarce and then prices went very high ($75+ for a 15rd if you could find them back in 1995).

I think you are right on target with that!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah the bdm I have has a 10 round magazine in it

I think you are right on target with that!

Back in 1995, a buddy and I were in a small "bargain center" that also had an FLL and sold primarily used guns and old military stuff. We saw a magazine sitting on a shelf that had the characteristic baseplate with little tab for changing the mode on the BDM and it looked exactly like a BDM mag. Turns out, it was, and I got it for about $20. No one had any idea how it got there, but it was a lucky find for me.

I also saw a S-VI .40 there with a few magazines for $600 a few years later. It was a steal for that prices, but I didn't have the money.

Top Bottom