• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sjachsvitra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Crothersville
    I'm looking to buy my first pistol in about 7 years. I'm on a tight budget having 4 kids and one income. I am ex-leo and seen one of the guys i arrested at Wal-Mart last week who stalked me for about an hour. So I have scoured the websites looking for a cheapish pistol that I can trust and have always liked ruger. Does anyone have this firearm is it something I can trust my life and those of my family? Thanks in advance!

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I have one and like the way it shoots and feels. It's not an EDC for me as it's more of a range gun. If it was all I had I don't think there'd be a problem carrying it.
    Dan

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    i cc a sr9c so far not one problem with it. has 10+1 and 17+1 i carry the 17, was 10 in summer. got it used but ive put 500 to 600 through it. wife has a m p shield 9mm no problems with it. got it new, has 200 to 300 through it.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    its the economy version of the sr9 so whats the difference you ask?

blue steel not stainless
    comes with 1 mag not 2
    comes in a cardboard box not a plastic one
    rear cocking serrations only (none on the front like a sr9)
    drift adjustable rear sight, not adjustable (like the sr9)

so, to answer your question yes, its a quality reliable gun, its a sr9 that doesn't have all the "spit and polish" that a sr9 has.

it is good to go!, and I'd have no problem buying one for myself!

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    Spend just a little more and get the sr9c sometimes you can find them with a 3 mag deal, the mags are expensive. It caries better and if you want a full size just use the 17rd mag with the grip extension. I have had one for 5yrs and it has been great. Eats everything I put in is handloads etc.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I have a 9E and I think it is great. I have about 3000 rounds through it and it is reliable, accurate and smooth to shoot for a light weight polymer gun. However, I don't use it for protection, only fun. The first 300 rounds were full of problems (FTF, stovepipes, light strikes). I cleaned the striker channel & seemed to resolve the light strikes. I think the recoil spring break in resolved the feed issues. I think the gun is more susceptible to limp wristing than a Glock and the stovepipes were probably my fault. Others have said their 9Es were good to go right out of the box. I like it enough that I will probably get another 9E or SR9 before they go out of production. It is a great value for around $300 and Ruger customer service will always take care of any problem.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    The SR9E or the S&W SD9VE are the two best, most reliable, high capacity, $300 pistols you can buy.

You could spend $100 more, and you'd get more features, but they won't shoot any better or be more reliable.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Thank you all so very much for the information it has been very helpful. Rural King has a sr9c on sale I think in going to go with that!

Since you're looking to get one for self defense, there's lot's of videos on U-Tube on how to remove the magazine disconnect....it's super easy to do.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    When my girlfriend got her foid, i opened up my safe manifold her to pick one. She grabbed my 9e said it was her favorite. It was also my first. I figured shed grab a sig or something "nicer". I trusted it enough to go do the job. To this day, no issues at the range. I have her set up with 2 mags of Hornady critical duty and she's gtg. 17 per mag plus one in the chamber. Great shooter, shoots above its weight.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm looking to buy my first pistol in about 7 years. I'm on a tight budget having 4 kids and one income. I am ex-leo and seen one of the guys i arrested at Wal-Mart last week who stalked me for about an hour. So I have scoured the websites looking for a cheapish pistol that I can trust and have always liked ruger. Does anyone have this firearm is it something I can trust my life and those of my family? Thanks in advance!

The SR9E is a fine choice, especially to meet the needs you expressed.

You should also consider the Walther PPX and the new Walther Creed. Rural King has sold the PPX 9mm for $249 (after rebate) in the past, and it's a durable, reliable gun with a better trigger than expected (much better than the Ruger). The downside is that most people think they're ugly. The Creed is a bit more streamlined version that I expect will be sold at similar price points eventually.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I love Rugers they are fine guns. Someone is stalking you and you are arming yourself, good for you. I would also call the local police and let them know you are being stalked. You could also pickup a used 12ga to leave at home for self defense, and train your wife to shoot. Stalkers are crazy and you need to stay always aware.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have a Ruger 9E. I have an SR9c as well as old P series nines too. I even have an LCR in 9mm.
    I have long been a fan of Ruger firearms and you cannot go wrong with a 9E.
    I love mine and often carry it as well. It's a good shooter and is accurate.
    Practice with it and you will love it too.
    Magazines can be a little high but often go on sale and are no where near as pricy as a Sig magazine

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You can get a Taurus Millenium G2 for $199-$209 online. On a budget, hands down that would be my choice.

Be aware that if you buy the Taurus it will probably have to be sent on vacation to Miami at least once before it is good to go. I sold off my 24/7 and TCP because I could not trust them. The 709 has a good reputation, as does the Millennium, but Ruger would be a better choice if you are on a budget and need it to be good to go immediately.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I love Rugers they are fine guns. Someone is stalking you and you are arming yourself, good for you. I would also call the local police and let them know you are being stalked. You could also pickup a used 12ga to leave at home for self defense, and train your wife to shoot. Stalkers are crazy and you need to stay always aware.

This! Thanks for your past service. Prayers offered for your safety and peace.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Thank you all so very much for the information it has been very helpful. Rural King has a sr9c on sale I think in going to go with that!
    they are good concealable pistols for sure. The 9E seems to be less so for most but I am pretty big and carry it behind the Bib of my Overalls (in a Smart Carry holster) along with an extra magazine and I don't have any trouble concealing it. I would look into the LC9s if concealing it is your goal too. They are cheap and with the extended magazine carry plenty of ammo. Not a bad trigger either like the older version. Mags are a lot cheaper too.

Top Bottom