• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I've decided to treat myself to a nice .45 acp revolver but like usual having a hard time deciding between a Ruger Redhawk .45 acp OR S&W 625 Performance Center .45 acp.

Can anyone offer some insight on the two?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Are you talking about the Redhawk that shoots .45 colt or acp. I have one of those and it is great. Love being able to shoot hot .45 colt loads or soft shooting .45 acp on moon clips.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Yes sir, that's the one I am looking at. Only consideration with the redhawk would be the increased distance to the forcing cone with the longer cylinder when shooting acp. I assume it's longer if it shoots the colt loads. I've always been of the thinking that dual caliber means a give and take to make them both work. Then again maybe just a misconception on my part.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Well, never mind my previous comment. After reading through a article I just found it explains how each cartridge head spaces in the Ruger. Learn something every day.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I just got back from the LGS and came home with a S&W JM 625. They were having a big sale on all S&W guns but after mulling over a new S&W PC625 one of the salesman mentioned a lightly used one they just got in. After very close inspection and haggling the price we came to an agreement.

Nothing really jumped at me difference wise between the JM and the PC to make up for the price difference. I have a feeling I'll be perfectly happy with this JM.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The Redhawk .45 Colt/.45 Auto is the least accurate revolver I own. I've bought some larger lead bullets to see if they are more consistent, but have not tried it yet. I'm also not in love with the grip. Something a little beefier would be nice. I liked the idea of being able to shoot both, but realistically once you regulate your sights to heavy Colt loads you're going to be off for regular Auto loads and vice versa.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've had good luck in both my Colt and S&W 1917 revolvers with Lee 230 TL bullets sized .454.

My cases are Starline 45 Auto Rim.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've had good luck in both my Colt and S&W 1917 revolvers with Lee 230 TL bullets sized .454.

My cases are Starline 45 Auto Rim.

I don't think auto rim will work with the Ruger. The moon clips are thinner than the S&W clips, so I suspect the brass rim would be too thick as well. I haven't tried it, but the math seems to add up.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably just go with the dedicated .45 Colt gun and not worry about the .45 Auto compatibility. I've kicked around selling or trading the Redhawk but never quite have decided to let it go.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I've had a Performance Center 625 for at least three years and it is a great target handgun as well as my "truck gun". The fit/finish, trigger and performance are all above what I expected from current Smith quality compared to earlier generations of their guns. I'm very pleased with this revolver.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I just got back from the LGS and came home with a S&W JM 625. They were having a big sale on all S&W guns but after mulling over a new S&W PC625 one of the salesman mentioned a lightly used one they just got in. After very close inspection and haggling the price we came to an agreement.

Nothing really jumped at me difference wise between the JM and the PC to make up for the price difference. I have a feeling I'll be perfectly happy with this JM.

Cool. You can bring it to https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...th-central-meet-eat-shoot-full-auto-guns.html on Tuesday.

happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    for what its worth . i have a s&w pc 45 1911 and am very happy with the workmanship & preformance of this gun . years ago a friend had a 44 mag redhawk & i had a model 29 smith in the same caliber. we shot some pretty hot magnum loads and i was surprised that my 8" smith felt better in recoil than his heavier ruger!
    you will not likely to have that problem/comparison since your choice is not in the hvy reecoil catagory. if you lay the ruger down & look at the profile of the gun from the hammer back , it has a real likeness of a single action 6 gun in the grip area . i seriously believe this contributes to how this ruger handles . the gp 100 has the same profile , but not the sp101 . i did not and still do not care for the ruger product that is made as such.
    sorry about the small rant but my vote is strong for the s&w product !

Top Bottom