• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I have 6 colt 1911 type firearms including colt officers models.
    On the 2 officers models, I can push the barrel down a little bit through the ejection port while in battery on both of these pistols.
    None of my longer barreled 1911 type pistols act this way.
    Does this mean the links are too short?

Johnny C

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sorry that there's been no response to this question yet. I know that I get the same bit of movement in a couple of my 1911s but am not sure that it's a matter of the link being short. It may be that the links are worn a bit and allowing a bit more play than is normal.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 6 colt 1911 type firearms including colt officers models.
    On the 2 officers models, I can push the barrel down a little bit through the ejection port while in battery on both of these pistols.
    None of my longer barreled 1911 type pistols act this way.
    Does this mean the links are too short?

Johnny C

Actually this is the pin/lug ramp causing this. I put a .203 pin slide lock in and re-cut the ramp for this. Sometimes the pin alone fixes this issue.
    I will not leave this condition on any of my 1911's. Lock up is critical IMHO.
    Yes they will shoot. Yes they might be accurate but (always a but) I will not buy one that exhibits this condition. Again.....JMHO

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Actually this is the pin/lug ramp causing this. I put a .203 pin slide lock in and re-cut the ramp for this. Sometimes the pin alone fixes this issue.
    I will not leave this condition on any of my 1911's. Lock up is critical IMHO.
    Yes they will shoot. Yes they might be accurate but (always a but) I will not buy one that exhibits this condition. Again.....JMHO

This is why I held off on offering an answer when I first saw the question. I knew that the issue was beyond my skill level. Glad to see CM offering up some real info.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is why I held off on offering an answer when I first saw the question. I knew that the issue was beyond my skill level. Glad to see CM offering up some real info.

I have seen slight movement and then there is way to much. Using a vernier caliper with depth feature put the gun in battery insuring the barrel is in full lock up (unloaded of course.....Kirk...:):)
    Measure the distance from the top of the slide to the rear of the barrel hood.
    Push the barrel down and measure again.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Ok, I just had to check. I have a full size and a commander size. No movement, but they both have Mouse prints all over them.

Signess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2016
    Evansville
    Not ideal certainly. A properly fit barrel won't do that. Could be wear if they are well-worn guns but is pretty typical of the quality problems that Colt has had over the years.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not ideal certainly. A properly fit barrel won't do that. Could be wear if they are well-worn guns but is pretty typical of the quality problems that Colt has had over the years.

I was going to say this but thought better of it.
    The last 3 Colts I have owned were all newer models with battle rattle. Loose lock up etc. I bought these full well knowing the issues with the intent to repair them and pass them along. 1 was from an ingo member that approached me with his Colt knowing it was not well fit up.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I just checked all my 1911s in the upstairs safe, that includes 3 Colts, one an older Colt Combat Commander from the 70's. None have a wiggly barrel.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Thanks everyone,
    I'll try to find some calipers and measure the barrel wobble on both of the OACPs
    I haven't even put 500 rounds through either of them, can't say about the previous owners, but they don't look too worn other than that.
    One does have some frame battering though, more than likely from a worn out recoil spring which I have replaced early on.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks everyone,
    I'll try to find some calipers and measure the barrel wobble on both of the OACPs
    I haven't even put 500 rounds through either of them, can't say about the previous owners, but they don't look too worn other than that.
    One does have some frame battering though, more than likely from a worn out recoil spring which I have replaced early on.

If the battering is present get some buffers. They are cheap and will help.

The wobble is usually from initial fit up. Left the factory that way.
    It is an easy fix for a smith if it is not too far out.

Top Bottom