• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Redhawk is built like a tank.
    No experience with the 686, but S&W makes fine revolvers too.

Take your pick.
    You won't be disappointed with either.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If your going to try for accuracy using factory ammo up to 180gr look no further than the s&w
    if your going to hand load wrecking ball size rounds then the ruger is your need

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I was making a similar decision a few years ago, but in 44 mag. The reason I decided against smith and wesson was the hilary hole. I know it shouldn't be an issue and it can be removed. But it bugged me and I prefer rugers cylinder release. A redhawk will outlast multiple owners.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have had a couple Smith 686's and still have one, and regret getting rid of the other 2, The 686 is a true target gun in service gun clothes, You can do a trigger and a barrel and have a top end match gun and then maybe 1 in 5 shoot to match quality anyway. My opinion is they are sized well and handle the 357 well and are great with 38 HBWC

I have had a couple redhawks and 1 Super redhawk in 44's, the 357 I think is on the same frame and if I'm correct they are over built tanks BUT should shoot very well, The experience trying to make a match gun out of a ruger is that it seems the rugers , the speed six, GP100, and Redhawk line all do thier best work at the top end of the pressure. So with both the 357's and the 44's I could never get a light target load to shoot well, and the 44's were terrible on leading up. BUT with a ruger if you run out of ammo you can always beat them with the empty gun and you won't hurt the gun.

So the real question is what are you going to be doing with them.

If your going to target shoot then Smith, if your only going to hunt the Ruger, Your pick, The great thing is if you pick up both of them you will have 2 guns instead of 1, LOL

Both are Great examples of the Revolver line. There might be a slight edge to the smith on after market grips and internal's but only slight.

You've really asked a father of twins which one he like the most.

If your ever in Columbus on a Thursday Evening check out Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club and if there is a NMC (National Match Course) on the schedule and you contact me you can shoot one or the other in a match and make up your own mind

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've owned both Rugers and S&W's in the past. I still have my S&W's. I love the Ruger modular approach with their revolvers, and one can be taken down to a literally bare frame in a matter of minutes for a thorough wash & wax. But I am a bigger fan of the S&W trigger. Something about S&W's leaf-style mainspring vs. the Ruger coil-over mainspring gives the S&W a more linear-feeling trigger pull IMHO. The Rugers always felt to me like there were more mechanical things going on under the hood with the trigger pull than the S&W.

I totally understand people dispising the "Hillary Hole" based on principle. But all my S&W's with the internal lock shoot light's out, and have never, ever given me a problem. Below is my 3" 686+, which has become one of my favorites:

20160125_170827_zpsrpy8ond2.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

One important issue to note on S&W revolvers is to make sure the barrel isn't canted. I think this is becoming less of a problem lately, but as S&W continues to focus on their M&P and other lines, sometimes the QC in the revolver line isn't what it could/should be. Inspect the barrel alignment carefully before purchasing it, and also look at it from the top strap to make sure the anti-glare serrations line up from front to back.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    How many rounds of 357 do you want to hold?
    6 rounds? Get a Ruger GP100 (not a Redhawk) Easier to tune the trigger and more aftermarket accessories. I love the GP100 Match champion.
    7 rounds? Get a S&W 686+, and they have a few options from the Performance Center as well
    8 rounds? You could consider the new 8-shot Redhawk, or I'd go with the tried and true S&W 627. Also comes cut for moonclips from the factory. (cool versions include the 327 PC, TR-R8, etc)

If you want to compete in revolver division competitions, a 6-shot would be your best option (686 SSR, or Ruger GP100 Match Champion)

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    If you want to compete in revolver division competitions, a 6-shot would be your best option (686 SSR, or Ruger GP100 Match Champion)

IDPA is a 6 shot revolver game.
    USPSA is pretty much a 8 shot game if you want to be competitive although 6 shot guns are still legal.
    ICORE has a division for about everything.
    Steel matches you can use both 6 and 8 shot but they shoot together and if you miss much the 8 has the advantage.

aztec777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2016
    Reno
    Between your 2 choices, I would have to go with the S&W performance center. I am usually a Ruger fan, but that particular revolver is really nice.

Jbow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Muncie
    Thanks for the input. Was away for a min kids sports and work keep me busy. I have the super redhawk in 44 that I deer hunt with. Not a match shooter just a gun enthusiast. Would use the gun for home defense and more likely use playing around with. Want one more revolver to add to my collection and because I love the looks of both hard to choose. I am willing to spend the 750+ for one but hard to choose between the two also hard to find either to shoot and fall in love with. I appreciate all the input and glad to have a group to discuss this with in ingo.

Jbow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Muncie
    I also like the 8 shots you get with the new redhawk verses the seven with the s&w. I know it is one shot but still means something.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have both a Ruger Redhawk (.44) and the PC 686. Fit and finish go to S&W (usually does), trigger goes to the PC 686, but it is tuned from the factory, so not a fair comparison. Sights are a wash as both have orange inserts in the front and adjustable rear sights. Ruger is built like a tank so it is heavier obviously, which will absorb recoil better. I like the Ruger's cylinder release better than the Smith's, but that is personal preference and would not swing me either way if I were re-buying the same guns. Ruger is an 8 shot, but you can get an 8 shot Smith (as previously mentioned). You have more grip options and other accessories with the Smith than the Ruger if you are like me and just can't leave well enough alone.
    So, all that said, it really comes down to this. Do you want a Smith or another Ruger? Both are great guns. Since you have a Ruger, diversify and get a Smith. I am typically pretty brand loyal, but I have both Rugers and Smiths. My saying is, I will hit the range with the Smiths, but I am taking the Ruger to the woods.
    As usual, YMMV. Good luck with your decision and have fun with whatever you decide to get.

Jbow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Muncie
    Thanks guys. I have been looking again at the 8 shot 627 pc. Again have not seen either Gun but have seen some issues with the barrels not being strieght on the smiths. I think someone eluded to this in a previous thread hear so that is a little concerning. But I am actively looking to see both models at this time. I do love my tiger and it is a tack driver but with the cost about the same the smith is intriguing to me.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks guys. I have been looking again at the 8 shot 627 pc. Again have not seen either Gun but have seen some issues with the barrels not being strieght on the smiths. I think someone eluded to this in a previous thread hear so that is a little concerning. But I am actively looking to see both models at this time. I do love my tiger and it is a tack driver but with the cost about the same the smith is intriguing to me.

Am a bit frustrated with Smith. Best I can tell is that pc is nothing more than a name that makes it sound like you are getting something besides a basic production line gun.
    Good side is that they are well regarded for fixing manufacturing defects after the fact. Have a nine twenty nine that I will probably like after smith fixes the barrel, but the experience is frustrating.

Never had a Ruger that was not correct from the get go.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I have one of the old Ruger 357 in a 7.5 inch barrel. I had one of the old ones in the 5.5 inch barrel. They shoot great. WHen you look at all that steel around that tiny 357 sized chamber, it really makes you wonder.

But they handle loads great and they shoot as good or better than I can shoot them. But then I also have a 686 7 sbot.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have both and as far as DA revolvers if I could only have one make it would be S&W. All around better than the Ruger. IMHO. I have however used a S&W revolver since 1986. I used a 686 since 1991 as a duty gun for a few years. The Ruger's are OK but just not as good in looks or triggers and yes the S&W is just as strong. The Ruger's have to be think due to the investment casting. So while they are pretty strong with 31 years of duty and recreational revolver use the Ruger is OK but not really 2 car lengths ahead of S&W in durability.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Revolver Durability argument LOL

Come to HHRP some thursday night bullseye match and look at the line, 1950's Smith revolvers that have been shooting Thursday nights since the club opened in 1953,

In 2 lifetimes you might be able to make a determination but don't worry about it in your lifetime

Top Bottom