• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Dry firing any .22lr can peen the edge of the chamber and the firing pin. It is generally a no-no. An empty case could be used as a cushion, but I don't like doing that for fear of thinking empty in the chamber and discovering it wasn't. Not sure if they make .22lr snap-caps.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County

Dry firing any .22lr can peen the edge of the chamber and the firing pin. It is generally a no-no. An empty case could be used as a cushion, but I don't like doing that for fear of thinking empty in the chamber and discovering it wasn't. Not sure if they make .22lr snap-caps.
    These guys nailed it, dry firing a S&W 22LR revolver is indeed a no-no. They DO make 22LR "snap caps", but they're more for practicing loading/unloading, as the rims will get dinged up if you use them for dry fire practice. I'm trying to remember the size number, but I've used the plastic wall anchors for dry fire practice before. They don't last long, but they're super cheap. It's the yellow drywall anchors, and here it is, just found it from the S&W forum: Hillman 4-6-8x7/8". Yellow ribbed anchors should do it!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

Any effect to function or just cosmetics?

I normally dry fire as needed and then replace whatever small parts (firing pin / trigger return spring ? ) that break. But perhaps this is a bad idea with a 22 wheel gun. All I'm seeing from S&W though is that you might need to replace the firing pin or remove it ahead of time. Could be missing something if there is a reason why a firing pin swap on a rimfire is more of an issue than on a centerfire.

Q: Why can't I dry fire my .22 pistol or revolver?

A: Dry firing a S&W .22 pistol or revolver will cause damage to the firing pin.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    No.....I have quite a few K frame .22's and it's just not a good idea....Like Kirk said, get some snap caps and fire away...I TRY to put at least 200 rounds a week down one of my K 22's and the few times I have shown one of my K 22's to a friend and they dry fire it ("Dang dude that's a nice trigger..") I behave like a bit of a jerk for roughly 20-25 minutes and can usually guilt the offending party out of a box of 50 .22's just to get me to quit whining and rending my garments....

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    Any effect to function or just cosmetics?

I normally dry fire as needed and then replace whatever small parts (firing pin / trigger return spring ? ) that break. But perhaps this is a bad idea with a 22 wheel gun. All I'm seeing from S&W though is that you might need to replace the firing pin or remove it ahead of time. Could be missing something if there is a reason why a firing pin swap on a rimfire is more of an issue than on a centerfire.

Q: Why can't I dry fire my .22 pistol or revolver?

A: Dry firing a S&W .22 pistol or revolver will cause damage to the firing pin.

It can effect function. Sometimes extraction will be near impossible after the cases are fired and swell and If the dents are deep enough it will effect ignition.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Ok. But I am curious what it harms and why that can not be fixed cheap and easy.

Look up Smith and Wesson (especially for the older ones) parts on ebay or gunbroker and I think you will see why they "can not be fixed cheap"....Why go through the hassle when, as Kirk said, the problem can be avoided with $10 worth of snap caps????

I mean why change the oil in a car because if the engine locks up you can always just fix it???? I understand what you are saying but the problem is easily avoidable through the use of snap caps..

IMHO....

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The damage to the chamber, the little divots created, also makes it far more likely to have failure to fire problem. the dented area provides no support to the rim which allows the rim to bend a little, absorbing some of the impact and lessening the strength of the strike to the rim primer area.

Top Bottom