• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    For the last few years I have spent most of my time collecting handguns and surplus rifles. I haven't really shot them as much as I would like to. I have decided to slow down on acquiring more firearms and instead start purchasing more ammunition. None of my handguns have more than 1000 rounds put through them by me (maybe 2, but it is not more than that).
    Anyway I am looking to start shooting about 300-400 rounds rounds of 9mm twice a month (maybe three times) and for this amount of shooting people have said that semiautomatic slides and revolvers should be stripped down for a thorough cleaning every 1000 or so rounds. I was just wondering if you guys and gals follow that rule and if it is difficult to field strip a M&P slide or take apart a .357 K-frame. Thanks ingo

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I virtually never completely strip down my revolvers. I can get them plenty clean by swinging out the cylinder and giving everything I see a thorough scrubbing.

On my pistols, I do a field strip once in awhile(maybe every 350-500 rounds) and a detail strip once per year.

I have been known to add some lube to the slide during a competition/class to keep it running "wet". Add the lube, rack the slide a bunch and wipe it off with a rag.

I used to keep my guns totally spotless and well lubed. That was when they mostly sat in the safe and were taken the range once in a blue moon to shoot a box.

Once I started shooting more volume, I decided I wasn't going to spend so much time cleaning when I have little time to shoot in the first place.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    With my work/travel schedule, my shooting routine is far from consistent. I find a way to shoot multiple times a year with family and friends, but not as routinely as I'd like. As such, each firearm I shoot gets the full treatment after a workout, because I don't know how long it will be until I get around to shooting that particular piece again. I don't typically remove the sideplate on my wheel guns, but the crane and cylinder are taken apart each time (makes it a little easier to give everything, including the forcing cone, a detailed cleaning).

I tend to have an OCD-type personality, but I really enjoy making my stuff look darned near brand-new after putting them through the paces. While it might be overkill, I find peace of mind knowing anything I grab from the safe is clean, lightly lubed, inspected, and ready to rock at any time.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have to agree with gregkl on the revolvers, I have never cleaned beyond what I can see, and on occasion I do remove the grips. I am currently in the process of testing a new (to me) product that I am going to write a review on, complete with before and after pics, and it does involve a revolver that is pretty dirty right now.
    Being a former Marine, we were taught to clean clean clean and clean again, which is really a bad idea, as you can over clean a weapon and cause un-do wear from constantly taking apart and reassembling. But Uncle Sugar has an unlimited budget that the rest of us do not.

Not trying to sound like I am bragging, but I have a decent sized collection, what I do is take 4 to 6 guns to the range several times before detailing and putting back in the safe. Right now I currently have 3 rifles and 2 handguns "dirty". All but one of the handguns have been on several range trips. So 4 of these 5 weapons are going to be detailed and put away for awhile and I will rotate out some others. For me this also helps me evaluate if I want to keep or sell something. Some of my guns will sit for years before being fired, and I do have some that I have never fired. Promise to myself this year is to start shooting or selling off some of my safe queens. I was all set to sell my Tavor until I kept shooting it.

Anyway back to cleaning, I think 500 + rounds would be a good time to clean, and even then maybe not a detail unless it is going back into the safe.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I don't detail strip my guns hardly ever. I guess if they were shot more I would. Maybe every 5k rounds. But I have multiple guns I shoot so my round count on any of them doesn't get very high.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    For semi autos... It depends some on the gun / purpose, but they general get some oil every outing, field stripped/cleaned 2-5 thousand, detail stripped every 5-10 thousand.

-rvb

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Probably every 1k rounds or so. I'm sure my pistols are capable of going much longer, but it's nice to have a nice shiny clean firearm. Also gives me an excuse to fondle my guns...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Detail Strip? 1911s if they are out in the rain and I am worried about the insides turning orange from moisture. Otherwise maybe once a year if they see significant use of several thousand rounds. Polymer guns never, just an occasional field strip. I did detail strip a Glock once and replaced the springs prior to selling it to a friend.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't "deep clean" very often. I field strip a pistol and clean it about every time I shoot it, or every time if I carry it, which is the pistol I shoot most.

I wouldn't say I strip it down completely and clean it until it's had several thousand rounds through it though. I've put a couple thousand through mine, and it simply doesn't need it in my opinion. I may do it preemptively if the mood stokes me, but a full slide tear down isn't necessary I don't think very often. The last time I did a complete rear down I found that it didn't need it. About the time a tear down clean is needed, I think it would be about time to be replacing the springs when you do it. At least on the pistols i shoot.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My 226 was made in 1989, i bought it in 2003.
    In about 2010 I bought new springs and the roll pin for the slide.
    Other than that one time I just wipe it down or field strip

Jiezh1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2015
    Carmel
    bought my 629 about 3 years ago, today is the first time to deep clean it. A little bit rusty inside of the frame but not too bad overall. Oiled and polished... feel good:):

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    I approach things a bit differently depending on the firearm. For factory weapons, I will detail strip the slide and clean the firing pin channel, extractor assembly, and the ejector mechanism. If it is a custom gun that I have built, I will frequently remove all of the firing components, as well as detail strip the slide. I want to make sure those areas are clean, but I am also concerned on keeping up with how the parts are wearing.

That having been said... 25-years ago when I bought my first 2011 in 38 Super, I NEVER removed a single part other than field stripped it and cleaned the major components. That gun ran flawlessly for thousands and thousands of rounds. I would not recommend that today.

Andy Cree

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For semi-autos, I'll pull a bore snake through after each range trip and field strip and clean after 200-400 rounds. The detail strip and clean is really not on a schedule, but more of an as-needed thing. My 1911s are the only ones that really get a complete detail strip and clean and if I were to guess, I'd say it happens about every 2000 rounds. Other than for maintenance or upgrades, the CZs do not get a complete disassembly for cleaning. The most I'll do is pull the grip panels off and spray the insides heavily if they are looking bad.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When I take one apart and polish the trigger bow slots, re angle the sear and polish anything else that will help the insides run smoother, I clean everything well to get the abrasives out of it. I put it together clean and lightly oiled, with a little graphite grease on the hammer hooks. That is the last detail I ever do.

If I am caught in bad weather, I just pull the grips and blow things out with aerosol Hornady gun cleaner and dry lube. The slide grooves get lighty greased when I clean the barrel, maybe 500 rounds. When I shot greasy cast bullets, I cleaned the slide and barrel more often. Ask anyone who has ever been in matches with me, except for a broken trigger spring about 20 years ago, my stuff always runs. (even if I am not shooting well, my firearms work fine)

GGF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    What does a "detail strip" consist of?
    I understand a "field strip" of a semi-auto pistol, I think. That would be removing the slide from the frame the guide rod and spring, barrel and whatever else a particular brand of pistol had in the slide of the pistol.

I have S&W revolvers and shoot them often.
    Stainless steel is my new best friend when it comes to cleaning what I shoot!
    Cleaning up a blued revolver takes twice the time as does the same gun in stainless.

And I don't take the side plate off the gun unless I'm replacing a part.
    I use an aerosol cleaner to spray into the frame, and after that dries a drop or two of Kroil in the topside and then clean the barrel cylinder and cylinder face as needed.

GGF

Top Bottom