• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    So I'm looking for a pocket sized 9mm or .380, if I go .380 I'm picking up an LCP but I'd rather go 9mm and the Sig P290 has caught my eye along with a handful of others, namely the LC9, Shield, and the G43. Give me some pros and cons of this gun, real world experience or opinions, just looking for some thoughts. Thanks in advance...

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    When I was searching for the perfect pocket 9mm I looked at the Sig 290 and just struggled liking the trigger. I have also owned a couple Shields and the Ruger LC9 and eventually settled with the Sig 938. Awesome shooter and slips right in the front pocket of dress slacks in a holster.psyko

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think the P290 looks wider than similar guns (can't confirm, but always did look a little porkier). It also weighs more than others, ~20 oz unloaded. Glock 43 is 3 oz lighter, for example. I was also not a fan of the p290 trigger, but would understand why others might like it.

If it was me, I would go to a gun store and hold/compare all of them at once before you buy. See which one feels the best in your hand and which trigger feels right to you.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    The P290 I had was a decent shooter, albeit the trigger was heavy and long. Fit and finish were typical SIG, and the size was awesome for a 6+1 9mm. It did seem a bit heavy for a polymer framed gun, but that did help with recoil. Mags were ridiculously expensive, but now I am finding them on clearance racks. Prices on them now seem good, as most I see are ~$300 or so. The grip felt like a small brick but a Hogue grip fixed that.
    I would rent one first if you can find it, there are better guns out there for not alot more money and size is comparable.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    To me the Shield and 43 are too big to pocket carry. I've had them both, along with an XDs, and they are just too big for me. I don't wear skinny jeans and they just didn't sit well in jeans or dress pants but YMMV.

As far as the P290, I have looked at it but have never shot it. It is smaller in every dimension and in weight than the 43 according to each manufacturer's website. Like others, I'd suggest you rent or borrow one to shoot first. If you like DAO triggers, I don't see anything wrong with it.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I carried a P290 when they first come out. However, its heavy, has a LONG DAO trigger and its heavy. Oh...I already said that. Heavy for a single stack 9. I am much happier carrying my G43 or Shield 9mm

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I mainly like the size and price of them, and haven't had a chance to fondle one yet, hoping to find one tomorrow, plus the price seems good especially compared to a 43 or most other similar sized 9mm and I like Sig, seems like most of the guns I've seen in the size I want have a similar trigger to what is being described, is there anything else good out there other than the Ruger, Glock, Springfield or Smith pocket 9's that I'm not thinking of?

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I mainly like the size and price of them, and haven't had a chance to fondle one yet, hoping to find one tomorrow, plus the price seems good especially compared to a 43 or most other similar sized 9mm and I like Sig, seems like most of the guns I've seen in the size I want have a similar trigger to what is being described, is there anything else good out there other than the Ruger, Glock, Springfield or Smith pocket 9's that I'm not thinking of?

You might as well consider a Kahr CM9/CW9, depending on what size you're interested in. They would be priced aggressively and also have a long (but much smoother) trigger pull like the P290. Walther's PPS has a cult following, but might be more expensive. Beretta also has their Nano. I've heard mixed reviews, but worth investigating. Other options that may or may not be on your radar: Keltec PF9, Sig P938, Diamondback DB9, etc.

Long story short, if you can't find a single stack 9mm, you aren't trying hard enough :)

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    Keltec I'm not a fan of, Sig 938 is way overpriced and also heavy, didn't think about the DB9, I'll have to check out Kahr seem to remember not caring for them before but they fit the role I'm looking for now, and I forgot about the nano I'll go check that out too

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I like the 938 much better than the p290. If you want a pocket gun, the 938 will be that for you. I would lean towards the g43 though if you aren't going in the pocket. I am a SIG guy and the g43 is a great single stack 9mm that is easily concealed.

I will say, for the size of the 938, it is super accurate :yesway:

Top Bottom