Glock 34 or CZ75B for a newb getting into competitive shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which pistol?

• Total voters

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I've got a Glock 19, about 1500-2000 rounds down the pipe and I'm still an awful shot with it. I love the gun, though. I can get a Glock 34 brand new for cheap with a law enforcement discount, so that's nice.

I've held a CZ clone and it felt great in my hand. It's also had a great (aftermarket) trigger. Felt better than my Glock 19 with it's aftermarket trigger.

I want to start shooting IDPA... Between these two guns, which would you recommend?

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    What makes you a terrible shot with the 19? Is it the Glock platform itself, or just that gun?

I don't know, really. I think I shoot my small DAO Kahr CM9 better than my Glock, even though it's more uncomfortable to shoot and I don't like it. I just always shoot to the left, and yes, I've seen the chart. No amount of dry fire practice and focusing on the front sight seems to really help. Perhaps sights need aligned better or adjusted, though they're stock and straight from the factory. I've done everything from swapping back straps and tried everyone. Tried adjusting where my finger sits on the trigger and I just can't shoot the darn thing very accurately even with a 3.5lb Ghost trigger adjuster and polished trigger parts.

Love the gun though, even if it doesn't love me.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Rent a 75 and find out how it suits you.

My LGS has a 75 clone in the rotation for his "new shooter" classes and says that it is consistently the gun that they shoot the most accurate with.

I like in rural southern Indiana. Nowhere near me has gun rentals, at least not like that (range I shoot at does machine gun rentals though...)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think you need to try both and see what works for YOU. You are going to get a bunch of Glock and CZ fanboys posting about how great their pistol is and that you should buy it. And in the end none of that matters.

My brother was a staunch opponent to "squirt guns". That's what he calls striker fired pistols. Now he is shooting a G34 and is doing pretty good with it. Historically he shot 1911's and Sigs. (Though in reality is he qualifying with every type of handgun for fun.)

My nephew is a IDPA Master and shoots a CZ. He has shot Glock's before as he owns 2 of them but for him, they are relegated to home defense.

Do yourself a favor and take the time and money and shoot both. That way, hopefully you won't end up with another gun that you can't seem to shoot well.

Oops. I was typing when you posted your situation. I bet you can find some people on here that will shoot with you. Where in southern Indiana do you live?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I don't know, really. I think I shoot my small DAO Kahr CM9 better than my Glock, even though it's more uncomfortable to shoot and I don't like it. I just always shoot to the left, and yes, I've seen the chart. No amount of dry fire practice and focusing on the front sight seems to really help. Perhaps sights need aligned better or adjusted, though they're stock and straight from the factory. I've done everything from swapping back straps and tried everyone. Tried adjusting where my finger sits on the trigger and I just can't shoot the darn thing very accurately even with a 3.5lb Ghost trigger adjuster and polished trigger parts.

Love the gun though, even if it doesn't love me.

I'm sorry I can't help much, I'm not an expert on correcting shooting issues. Have you had someone else shoot the G19 to see if it is the gun? Maybe PM phylodog or one of the other instructors to see what they think.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I hate Glocks. I don't like anything about them. I love CZ's. But just like Greg said, my personal preference is meaningless to everyone but me. You need to get your hands on both to determine that for yourself. They are both fine machines, though both can benefit from upgrades, especially the Glock. Of course whatever the upgrade, it will have to be legal for the class you shoot. Both pistols have a lot of aftermarket support.

If I were in your shoes and had to choose, I would go with.... a Walther Q5 Match :D

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I hate Glocks. I don't like anything about them. I love CZ's. But just like Greg said, my personal preference is meaningless to everyone but me. You need to get your hands on both to determine that for yourself. They are both fine machines, though both can benefit from upgrades, especially the Glock. Of course whatever the upgrade, it will have to be legal for the class you shoot. Both pistols have a lot of aftermarket support.

If I were in your shoes and had to choose, I would go with.... a Walther Q5 Match :D

After my brother told me he starting shooting one(mostly so he could shoot the Glock only matches) I thought I wanted one. I went to the LGS, checked one out and then checked out the Walther PPQ. Right away the Glock was done for. The trigger was so much better on the PPQ. But in the end it still has that "squirt gun" feel and I had a M&P with the full Apex set-up and ended up selling it because I couldn't warm up to it. My background is with the 1911 and the more I thought about it, the more I couldn't see adding the striker fired system (though I do carry a Shield).

So, a couple weeks ago I ordered a CZ.:)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Heh, squirtgun. You're not wrong. There is no substitute for polished steel on polished steel. And a fulcrum trigger will never be quite like a trigger bar.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I hate Glocks, but for a beginner just starting in competition shooting, I would go with the G34. You won't need to worry about decocking, or the safety, or any other issues like that, plus there are tons more holsters, mag carriers and accessories for the Glock. Not to mention that the mags and sights for Glock are generally less expensive than for other handguns. I love the CZ platform and feel they're fantastic shooters, but for someone new to competition shooting, the Glock would be a better way to go. Nothing saying you can't switch to another gun down the road ;)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I hate Glocks, but for a beginner just starting in competition shooting, I would go with the G34. You won't need to worry about decocking, or the safety, or any other issues like that, plus there are tons more holsters, mag carriers and accessories for the Glock. Not to mention that the mags and sights for Glock are generally less expensive than for other handguns. I love the CZ platform and feel they're fantastic shooters, but for someone new to competition shooting, the Glock would be a better way to go. Nothing saying you can't switch to another gun down the road ;)

Very good points. I am sure that is part of the reason Glocks are so popular.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    As popular as CZ's are getting in IPSC and even Some IDPA sort of speaks on its own. DA/SA are really not an issue to get use to as some claim.

Like others try and shoot both to see. Call some of the bigger rental places (Point Blank etc) see if they have them and make an afternoon of it.

Good luck

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    As popular as CZ's are getting in IPSC and even Some IDPA sort of speaks on its own. DA/SA are really not an issue to get use to as some claim.

Like others try and shoot both to see. Call some of the bigger rental places (Point Blank etc) see if they have them and make an afternoon of it.

Good luck

I'm assuming that if you have a decocker, your first shot in the string would be DA?

That would be a disincentive to me, or reason to buy a safety model and carry it cocked and locked.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm assuming that if you have a decocker, your first shot in the string would be DA?

That would be a disincentive to me, or reason to buy a safety model and carry it cocked and locked.

One of the reasons I am going with the CZ is that I have options. I can do the first shot DA or I can cock and lock(no decocker on mine) and do the first shot SA. I understand that this may place me in a different division, but according to my nephew having a 7.5lb first DA pull and "sweetness" for the rest of the string is not hard to master.

Plus I am starting to warm up to the idea of having that first pull DA for defensive purposes.

I run my 1911 like they were designed. It remains to be seen how I run the CZ.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Basically you are taking up the tension as you reach extension. It's like taking up the slack during extension on a striker fired pistol. It takes practice, but the Sig and CZ guys all get it done.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've got a Glock 19

Go shoot IDPA (don't forget USPSA!) with your G19. Wait to drop a bunch of coin. Maybe get to handle or try out some other guns from your new competition friends. Maybe you'll see some other division that looks more fun (though in IDPA they are all much more similar to each other unlike th big differences in USPSA). After you get just a handful of matches under your belt and understand what you're getting into, THEN drop the coin.

or go spend a bunch now with no experience, plus all the gear, realize it's not what you really Wanted, loose a bunch selling it and starting over, etc...

A cheap $20 fobus holster and 3 mags is all you need to get into IDPA (4 if you want to shoot USPSA production division, 3 is enough for limited)

-rvb

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Starting out with DA revolvers then Beretta M9 to a SIG the DA is not really that big a deal. With a SIG or CZ it's smooth and doesn't feel heavy. Then the SA reset your shot to shot strings can be pretty quick (as long as you do your part on sights etc)

As a far as the the cocked and locked that is an option with most CZ's but you will be in a different category or you can shoot in more than one. A plus to some a hinderence to others.

The only downside to a Cz without a decocker is you have to lower the hammer manually. Again while some consideration. About that really not a big deal if one learns the proper technique and can pay attention (nothing like the attention to hit the right numbers on a vending machine for the right snack but you get the jist of it)

Top Bottom