• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Any Broomhandle Mauser gurus or collectors out there? I have a older guy at church that is looking to sell one. Any info on which ones are the most desirable and ballpark values would be appreciated. He just had to place his wife in a nursing home, she has Dementia. I've only seen a couple of pictures and the gun looks very nice, matching numbers with a shoulder stock. Number on stock doesn't match. Thanks in advance.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Any Broomhandle Mauser gurus or collectors out there? I have a older guy at church that is looking to sell one. Any info on which ones are the most desirable and ballpark values would be appreciated. He just had to place his wife in a nursing home, she has Dementia. I've only seen a couple of pictures and the gun looks very nice, matching numbers with a shoulder stock. Number on stock doesn't match. Thanks in advance.

I can't help much...

But if that's a reproduction stock - then do. not. mount. it.

The pistols with the matching stocks are grandfathered in and not considered SBRs. (Just like some older Winchester '94 "trapper" model rifles that came with factory 14-ish inch barrels)

I do not know if a non-matching yet period correct stock is grandfathered in or not. I suspect that they are but I am not positive.

Hopefully others (Leadeye?) can chime in with more information. And correct ME if I'm wrong.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Being collectibles, they are probably all over the place in price, like Lugers, depending on the condition, rarity, caliber and markings. Just a quick Google search, showed prices from around $2,600 to over $5,000. This is like buying antiques of any kind, it usually takes an expert to not get burned and then, some experts get burned anyway. If I were interested, I'd probably get some high quality photos and get in touch with an expert for an appraisal. If you are an NRA member, the national firearms museum might be a good place to start. This book might also give you an excellent idea and I'd think it'd be worth the cost of the book to know more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTUYU6A/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I just came here because I saw "Broomhandle" and "Leadeye" I knew I would see some awesome pics of Broomhandle goodness...As always thank you for the pics Leadeye...

To the OP I had a Chinese (but Mauser, made in Germany) 7.65 in the shop that had zero finish and was rough as a cob with some Chinese Characters stamped on it that I sold for $400....I mean rough....Real rough...But functioning....

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I just came here because I saw "Broomhandle" and "Leadeye" I knew I would see some awesome pics of Broomhandle goodness...As always thank you for the pics Leadeye...

To the OP I had a Chinese (but Mauser, made in Germany) 7.65 in the shop that had zero finish and was rough as a cob with some Chinese Characters stamped on it that I sold for $400....I mean rough....Real rough...But functioning....

same here! And we were right! Awesome pics leadeye

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    He did tell me he had it appraised about 10 years ago and they told him, $3000. I am going to pick it up from him this weekend and check it out. I will try to post up some pics.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    $3K will indicate excellent condition regardless of the model, and don't worry about the stock. Some time back the ATF allowed the use of repro stocks on original broomhandles. This applies to a lot of old stocked pistols, as long as the gun has an original stock slot, new or old stock you are good to go. Exceptions would be broomhandles with receivers made in this country and registered as such. Cheapest SBR going in my opinion.:)

Top Bottom