• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    Just looked through the Rural King ad and saw they have a sale on SCCY's. Pretty cheap at $269 plus a $60 gift card. That seems very affordable for a sub-compact 9mm. What do you guys/gals think? Great deal for a great gun or decent price for a plinker?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My wife has the one with the safety can't remember if its 1 or 2, but she loves it. She usually carry's that when she is doing her craft shows small of the back. Owned it for almost 2 yrs now.

adws943

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    My pocket carry. No issues. Can get uncomfortable to shoot after many rounds. The magazine with pinky rest helps.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I safety checked their booth at last year's NRAAM and I can say that the slide serrations are very sharp. :):

There are lots of colors.

There's one model with a shroud around the safety that didn't fit my hand well but might be fine for other people.

I have never shot one.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I've had a couple of them. One was my first semi auto, the other I found for 150, couldn't pass it up.
    They are just OK IMHO, sharp recoil, not very accurate and the frame pins would come out while firing. VG customer service. They do work, but there are better options on the used/mil surplus markets for the same money.

Last edited:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I have one and consider it a "get away gun". A "get away gun" is a gun designed for 7'-12' of personal defense. It's not a gun for 5-10 yards. It's for up close and personal defense. I have a SCCY CPX-2 and have put 250+ rounds through it with zero problems. It fits in my pocket and goes a lot of places my G19 can't. I use the pinky extension mags. It has a nice feel to it. At a final cost of $209 + tax I think it's a good investment.
    Dan

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Not a big fan. Will they work? Yes. But they're bulky for the size and a double action trigger. There's better out there for the money such as the SD9VE and Taurus Pt111.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    That's too much dough or they have gone up. ($209 straight up is good, not $269 with a card you have to use at RK) Decent guns though. The frame pin can walk out a little. Not going to happen in a SD situation though, just at the range after 100-150 rounds. I have heard of either another pin from SCCY or using some locktite.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I had one. I could not get rid of it soon enough.
    It has the worse double action only trigger.
    The long trigger pull and reset.
    When I attended the Lv ky NRA show.
    As i was talking the SCCY's rep.
    Two others voiced the same complaint.
    The rep. had no response.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I have one and a SD9VE. They are two different guns for two different purposes. I love both of them. You can do better than $269, just look around.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I know of a guy who carries one. He has several thousand rounds through it - but then it finally had to be returned for some kind of repair.

Look up The Tactical Professor / Claude Werner. Check out his blog. He's the guy.

He's good. Very very good.

HIS endorsement of the SCCY platform really gave me pause. If that guy, who can consistently and quickly hit SMALL targets with that "cheap crappy gun", loves the pistol - then perhaps it's just not nearly as bad as I think.

Plus I think the guns themselves have gotten way better over the years.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I have a SCCY 2 never had a problem with it. Crappy trigger though. I gave $200 for mine and thought it was a good buy. I can hit with it, and it's never failed to fire or eject, can't ask for anything more for the price.

Last edited:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    The trigger on mine is long on the shot and long on the reset. It's not a competition pistol by any means but I don't consider it crappy or sub-par. As I previously said it's a "get away gun". It's designed for very close range. Comparing the trigger to anything is really impractical. I think I would consider it a last line of defense. The line where you've already used all the rifles and other hand guns to defend yourself. People tend to forget this is a $250 gun and expect a $2,000 one.
    Dan

Motomechanic45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2016
    Plainfield
    My brother in law has one outside of the trigger it's a nice gun, I also heard the warranty even covers it if it's stolen. Since I'm not interested in owning one I haven't done the research but may be worth further investigating if your buying one.

INGarand

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2014
    Buffaloville
    Nice looking pistols, bought the wife one when on sale with a pink frame. She can't pull the trigger. Hard and long trigger pull and I wasn't able to hit the target at 25 yards. Price was good but trigger made it useless.

Top Bottom