• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Well, a friend of mine is looking for a first handgun as a "car gun" and that got me thinking about cheap guns.

I have always enjoyed the Tokarev system since about 5 years ago at the ripe age of 18 I got a beat up old Romanian Tokarev where I replaced half the springs and firing pin on it, removed the safety and did a bit of polishing of the feed ramps.

What Im wondering is how well would the Zastava m88a work as a starting peice to make a Zastava "Komandirski" style pistol. I shot my buddy's dads gun that is his glove box piece and while it was about 2 inches left and 4 inches high at 12 yards and had about a 10 pound trigger pull, it shot a quarter sized group. (Don't ask me why, but I tend to shoot ****ty guns better, like when I shot a one ragged hole group with my friends Taurus TCP he thought was broken, or with my bulgarian makarov or with a Taurus Curve my friend was reviewing, it actually point shoots very well if you do the old ww2 applegate method, its probalby something with a crap gun I really knuckle down and focus on the fundamentals)

Is there a way to remove the sights and replace them? How much does the trigger improve with the magazine disconnect removed? Is there any manuals on how to polish up tokarev sears (I will not go at it with a Dremel, just a bit of jewelers polish and cloth and some elbow grease) Do they take standard Tokarev grips? (I prefer thin checkered wood grips on my guns both to carry and for feel and looks).

And finally would cerakoting be the way to go or is there another tougher finish to use for something that will probably be abused or left under a car seat or something. I would not want anything fancy, just a matte black or deep blue coloration.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    The gun will be fine as is...No need to cerakote or change the sights on a "truck gun"...

IMHO...

I know it would work fine like that, but I just want to work with it as a project just because it would be interesting to do

and maybe even take it to USPSA Single Stack or IDPA. If its a truck gun that will be used defensively you might as well learn practice with it with the stress of the clock and a match and to make sure it works with high round counts and self defense level or higher volumes of fire.

Calacaroja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2017
    USA
    There is a Facebook group dedicated to the M88 and M88A guns. "Zastava M88 / M88A Pistol Enthusiasts"
    It is a great resource to all interested in these guns.
    Best regards, CR

Last edited:
    Top Bottom